Lianne Yun, Assistant Photo Editor

Although food trucks are a fabulous resource for the University’s famished night owls, they are, of course, not the ideal solution for every collegiate hunger crisis. Campus, after all, is an environment of nonstop energy; come the weekend, many desire nothing more than sloth-like leisure. For these fatigued students, the prospect of trekking to Whey, falafel, or Kickin’ Chicken (and now Munchies) seems nothing short of nightmarish.

Thankfully, there are countless ways to beat the food truck system. This bacon mac and cheese is the perfect late-night meal for the immobile. Featuring the smoky crunch of bacon alongside the creaminess of Gruyere cheese and the comforting fragrance of thyme, the luscious dish is heart and soul in pasta form. What’s more, because the meal can be cooked and prepared in no more than 30 minutes and, not to mention, requires ingredients that can easily be replaced according to Weshop limitations, it is perfectly conducive for the collegiate kitchen.

In the event that hunger strikes and you find yourself sessile as a sponge, don’t let your craving get the best of you. Instead, satisfy your need with this delicious mac and cheese.

Directions:

1. In a pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain and set aside.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until brown and crispy, about 6-8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
3. In a medium saucepan, combine heavy cream, garlic, and thyme over medium heat. Bring to a slight boil and reduce by half, about 4-5 minutes.
4. Stir in cheeses, a handful at a time, until smooth, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in pasta and bacon until combined.
5. Serve immediately; garnish with leftover bacon if that’s what you like.

Ingredients:

8 ounces elbow macaroni
6 slices sliced bacon, diced
2 ½ cups heavy cream
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme)
1¼ cups shredded gruyere cheese
¼ cup grated Parmesan
Kosher salt and ground black pepper to taste

This recipe was adapted from buzzfeed.com.