As we enjoy the final weeks of warm weather and long, sunny days, while also looking forward to the real fall months of October and November, a great way to soak in the last remnants of summer is to enjoy eating a meal outside with friends. There are a few great options for this in Middletown, especially when it comes to the plethora of brunch options that have popped up over the years.

Neon Deli

c/o Herb Evens

c/o Herb Evens

This Middletown staple, self-branded as a “New York-style delicatessen,” has been serving Wesleyan students for many years. They offer a startling variety of sandwiches, including heroes, paninis, and even lobster rolls, but the real go-to’s are the sizable, economically priced egg sandwiches. They come with your choice of breakfast meat (Jersey pork roll included) and are the perfect choice when you’re looking for a filling breakfast outside the realm of Swings or Usdan but still close by. These sandwiches are best enjoyed at the gaggle of red tables outside of Neon Deli, allowing you to soak up some sunlight while the gym rats walk past Freeman Athletic Center on a Saturday morning. The tables, most of which are sun-protected by a few large umbrellas, don’t offer an especially tranquil dining experience due to traffic and passersby but are a safe bet for a fall breakfast date nonetheless. 

Sweet Harmony Cafe and Bakery

Sweet Harmony is another cafe suitable for a weekend morning meal or coffee, but like Perk on Main it is located on the shadier side of Main Street closer to the river. Their seating area is surrounded by planters of flowers and bushes, creating a pleasant environment. Sweet Harmony is less crowded than other spots on Main Street, offering a quieter dining experience. Sweet Harmony’s display case is less polished than Perk on Main, but their pastries, muffins, cookies, other sweet treats, and lattes are nevertheless highly regarded.

Brew Bakers

On a mostly empty Main Street, not too early on a Sunday morning, the chatter of small groups seated outside Brew Bakers can be heard and seen from quite far away. The outdoor seating area in front of the cafe and around the side is dappled in warm September sunlight, and the tall trees across the sidewalk, potted plants, and green umbrellas by the tables create a wonderful ambiance even right by the wide street. Families and older couples can be seen enjoying iced coffees and breakfast sandwiches along with the fresh air and bright sunshine. This cafe has an expansive menu that seems to have something that will please everyone: They serve an assortment of breakfast staples including bagels, eggs, pastries, and smoothies, as well as sandwiches, burgers, and salads for lunch. The bagels are freshly made, the drink options will fit the bill for any type of morning, and the vibe on a sunny day will make everything taste that much better.  

Perk on Main

Perk on Main serves similar breakfast and brunch options to Brew Bakers, but the interior looks like more of a traditional restaurant than a cafe. The plating is also more sophisticated. They offer outdoor seating, but the area is smaller than Brew Bakers and surrounded by a low fence, and in the morning it is not as sunny and warm. Some highlights of their menu are extensive and creative smoothie and fresh juice selections, and many sweet and savory crepe combinations. 

c/o Vasila Yordanova

c/o Vasila Yordanova

Esca Restaurant

Esca is the most high-end establishment on this list, although its outdoor seating does not stand out in any meaningful way. Their dinner menu is extensive and relatively sophisticated. Similarly, their Sunday Brunch offers a variety of “Boards” (salumi, verdure, formaggi) as well as Stuffed French Toast, a House Cured Salmon Tartine, and a Lobster Burger. Most of the food offerings are Italian cuisine or adjacent, and the restaurant is also known for its wine and cocktails. 

Vasilia Yordanova can be reached at vyordanova@wesleyan.edu