Within popular Wes culture, there are many scandalous, shocking, and silly tales that pass from generation to generation. Students have immortalized the legends, telling and retelling them, but how much truth is there to the myth?

The rumor of a naked dorm on campus has been spread far and wide, even making it to a New York Times article. The naked dorm is unofficially considered WestCo, and while nudity is not uncommon there, it is certainly not the standard. This myth is more or less fiction.

One of the most popular myths is also a typical tour-guide anecdote. The College Cemetery, located at the top of Foss Hill, was created in 1836 and contains the graves of deceased students, professors, trustees, and former presidents of the University. According to legend, the graveyard no longer contains any bodies because intoxicated students dug some up and, subsequently, the rest were moved to another cemetery to avoid desecration. In 1968, concerns did arise because of destruction to gravestones caused by constant foot traffic. Plans were discussed for a surrounding fence, but there is no evidence to suggest that the bodies were removed. This myth is unclear, but probably fiction.

Another myth is that no trees were cut down in order to build the Center for the Arts (CFA). In fact, architect Kevin Roche modified the design so that it would fit in better with the terrain and existing structures and so that only one of the 200-year-old hemlocks, beeches, and sycamores dotting the site would have to be removed. This legend is almost entirely fact.

A less popular, but quite intriguing, rumor is that there is a mummy in the Science Center. Surprisingly, this one is true. Brought back from the Mediterranean in the 1880’s by Professor of Greek Language and Literature James Cook Van Benschoten, the mummy was shuffled from the old University Museum in Judd Hall to the attic of Olin Library to storage in the Geology Department. However, the mummy is not of good quality and has little interest among scientific and museum circles.

Legend has it that 1994 film “PCU,” starring Jeremy Piven, was based on Wesleyan. The film, coincidentally enough, follows a prefrosh through his adventures at an incredibly politically correct university, which includes zealous activists, feminists, and vegetarians. According to IMDB.com and wikipedia.org, this is fact. Writers and alumni Adam Leff ’90 and Zak Penn ’90 did indeed base the screenplay on the University. The opening shots of the film are of our very own College Row.

According to folklore, when now-defunct fraternity Chi Psi heard that they were going to lose their house (now 200 Church), in defiance, they threw a beach-themed party and filled the entire first floor with real sand. According to Associate Director of Residential Life Maureen Isleib, this legend is fact, although Chi Psi most likely threw the party before they found out that they were losing the house.

Another widespread rumor is that students’ Student Judicial Board (SJB) records are cleared once a year.

“It is a myth,” said Dean of Student Services Michael Whaley. “The SJB typically uses progressive sanctioning.”

This means that each time a student is convicted, the punishment steepens, usually progressing from a warning and/or community service, to probation, to suspension. This myth is, unfortunately, fiction.

Throughout the years, students have heard rumors of wild parties in the so-called “grotto” of Alpha Delt. There is, indeed, a room in the basement of Alpha Delt that is known as the grotto. But President of Alpha Delt Ruth Pumroy ’07 dispelled any rumors of scandalous events.

“I wouldn’t call any of the parties we throw there ‘Playboy style,’” Pumroy said.

The University certainly has a storied past that is full of myths. It is often difficult to determine what is fact and what is fiction, but either way, these tales contribute to Wesleyan’s rich culture and history.

• Mold

It is true Chi Psi had a beach party that year where they filled the entire first floor with sand, but it is also true that party had been held annually every year since the mid-1980s. It was quite a sight.