Hip-hop music blared and a line snaked through the front door of Eclectic yesterday, but there was no dance party to be found. Instead, students waited apprehensively to be tested for various STDs at no cost.

Organized by members of ASHA, Eclectic, and Community Service House, the annual event was spearheaded by Rashida Richardson ’08. She arranged for the testing to be held at Eclectic since she is a member.

“I asked the house manager,” Richardson said. “We did it as a program.”

Richardson, a coordinator for ASHA, came up with the idea for free testing three years ago during World AIDS Week in December. Last year, due to scheduling conflicts, it was moved to April, STD Awareness Month, and it seems as though it will remain at that time.

“It works out well,” she said. “People like to get tested after break, it seems.”

The program’s reach has been growing since its inception. About 90 people got tested the first year, about 100 the second, and an estimated 130 attended this year.

Students chose which tests they preferred to undergo. They could give urine to be tested for gonorrhea and chlamydia, and blood to be tested for syphilis. These results take a week to arrive and students are notified on a “no-news-is-good-news” basis. Rapid oral HIV tests were introduced this year, with results available the same day.

“It’s extremely important to get tested these days because the transmission rates for all of these diseases are ridiculously high,” Richardson said. “And depending on one’s sex, certain infections do not have noticeable signs or symptoms, and can lead to serious health issues if not treated in a timely fashion.”

The idea for free testing on campus arose when Rashida Richardson, recognizing a void in campus sexual health services, mentioned it to her mother, Wanda Richardson, who works for the state of Connecticut Department of Public Health, in STD Control.

Wanda Richardson saw a way to encourage testing and make it more accessible for students.

“Testing through the school health clinic is billed to parents, so there’s no chance for confidential testing,” she said.

The state provides free testing through the program, which began at the University and has spread to other Connecticut colleges.

Those who receive positive results have many resources to help with the healing process, both physically and emotionally. Students are referred to the school’s health center for free counseling and treatment. If the school lacks a health center, then they are sent to the nearest health department facility.

“This year the HIV counselor for the Oasis Center [of Middletown] has offered to help and they are bringing one person to specifically deal with the HIV test,” Rashida Richardson said.

One main reason that students cited for getting tested was gaining a sense of security.

“Even though I’m damn near positive I don’t have anything, it’s always good to be sure,” said Lauren Pellegrino ’08.

Most students felt that getting tested is an important issue for everyone.

“I think everyone should do it, regardless of color or sexual orientation, because you never know,” said Julius Hampton ’09. “It’s nice to know.”

Will Runge ’09, who volunteered at the event, said that testing promotes a more mature attitude towards sex.

“It’s totally important, so people can at least know and make better decisions about who they’re sleeping with,” Runge said.

Another incentive is the fact that the tests are free, as STD tests can often become expensive.

“If this weren’t free, I wouldn’t pay for it,” said Reyson Punzalan ’07. “I’d think twice if it weren’t free.”

Besides the peace of mind that comes from determining one’s sexual health status, students could also pick up free water bottles, lanyards, male and female condoms, brochures and pens that looked like hypodermic needles.

“Plus, they give you a cool band-aid,” Punzalan said, pulling off his sweatshirt to reveal the crook of his arm where blood had been taken. “Mine is neon.”