While most students only need to walk two blocks to Broad Street Books to purchase the materials for their courses, University art students are forced to look further than just Middletown for necessary supplies.

“Students aren’t expected to drive half an hour to get the books they need for class, and it’s not great that art students have to [travel so far] to get what they need for their work,” said Kat Aymeloglu ’07.

In order to find quality supplies for their work, art studio students travel to Hartford and New Haven, as well as shop for supplies online.

“It is definitely a struggle to find materials in the Middletown area,” Aymeloglu said. “Amato’s toy store and the framing store on Main Street have very basic supplies, but they definitely don’t carry everything I need.”

It was not always this difficult to find art supplies. Until two and a half years ago, students were able to purchase art supplies at ColorMart, which was located in the currently vacant building next to Broad Street Books. According to Becky Robinson, who worked at ColorMart for 20 years, the store closed because of financial struggles.

Students appreciated the store not only for its variety of art supplies, but for its convenience.

“I think the thing kids miss a lot is the ‘Oh, my charcoal just broke, I can just run down to ColorMart,’” Robinson said.

The store’s close ties with the University made it easy for students to buy the exact supplies their professors recommended.

“When ColorMart was in business, I always purchased my drawing supplies there and it was convenient because the studio art professors would give the store a list of supplies that they put aside for their class,” said Kim Greenberg ’07, whose art studio focuses are drawing and painting.

ColorMart also provided kits for different art classes and offered them a 20 percent discount.

“Professors would call me and say, ‘I want a kit for 35 students,’ and they’d specify certain brands of pencils, charcoals, erasers,” Robinson said.

The kits were an easy way for students to get the exact materials that their professors wanted them to have.

Now, Jerry’s Artarama, an art supply store in Harford, has been making kits for students. One time at the beginning of each year, Jerry’s visits the art classes with supplies for students to purchase.

For thesis work, however, each student needs completely different materials, which is especially difficult for students without cars.

“Everyone is responsible for acquiring their materials themselves, so it would be wonderful if it were easier for students without access to a car to have the ability to get what they need,” Aymeloglu said.

Aymeloglu noted that the school provides art students with a shuttle to Hartford, but many students complain of the buses’ inconvenience.

For students working on three-dimensional projects, finding supplies can be especially challenging.

Judith Klausner ’07, an art studio major concentrating in sculpture, ends up hauling materials back to campus after breaks.

“It’s really hard to find sculpture materials around here,” Klausner said. “It’s hard to be a successful art student with no easily available source for supplies. Sometimes doing your homework will be reliant on something you can’t get.”

Administrators have discussed the possibility of carrying a selection of art supplies in the new campus center. According to University Center Director and Dean of Campus Programs Dean Rick Culliton, there is a retail area planned for the new Usdan University Center, which will include an annex of Broad Street Books.

“The has been some conversation about having the annex include art supplies, although they were not sure they would have adequate space to stock all of the art supplies that students need,” Culliton said.

Klausner feels the lack of art supplies in the Middletown area forces art students to be creative in unconventional ways.

“How many things can you make out of what you can buy at Weshop?” she asked.

One thing that most art studio students agree on is that an art store in Middletown would greatly benefit them as well as the general Middletown community.

“I think a large art store would be a hit in Middletown, because there is a large demand,” Greenberg said.