These days, the art studios are equipped for all-nighters. According to Adina Bricklin ’06, studio art majors spend so much time there that the studios now include a bed and fridge for those who cannot find the time to go home.

The end of the semester is a particularly difficult time for seniors undertaking theses, especially art studio majors, who recently completed their midyear evaluation.

“My thesis will be the most grueling thing I’ve done here in terms of the time and effort,” said Emma Silverman ’06. “But it’ll be worth it of course! That’s the trade-off; you wouldn’t do it if there were no reward. In art, you get the satisfaction of painting while you’re going through the process, and then you get the satisfaction of seeing others react to your work.”

Instead of spending endless hours in the library conducting research and writing a 70-page bound thesis, this group of seniors will create bodies of artwork that will be presented in the Zilkha Gallery at the end of the year.

“Art finds a way of seeping into all aspects of my life,” Silverman said. “It’s rare that looking at something will inspire me to write a sociological essay. In contrast, I’ll be driving somewhere with a friend and all of a sudden I’ll have to stop because I see an object by the side of the road that I think I’d like to paint.”

An art thesis can be quite difficult. Studio classes are some of the most time-consuming at Wesleyan, often requiring hours of work outside the classroom. For example, both Painting I and Painting II require ten hours of independent work per week.

“There’s an unspoken understanding when you see another art studio major,” Bricklin said.

But, most majors are coping well with their heavy workload and reveling in the fact that they are not writing massive essays.

“The studio art major, as far as I can tell, is a lot more fun,” said Mara Baldwin ’06. “After all, art studio majors are people who enjoy creating art. How many people do you know who enjoy writing papers?”

Majoring in studio art requires more introspection and self-discovery than other majors. It becomes an omnipotent force in these students’ lives, transforming the way students think about everything from school to work to home.

“Doing an art thesis is much more personal and meaningful and highly involving process than a writing project is,” said Christopher Gartrell ’06. “[It’s a] practice that takes me out of my everyday life in a way that’s very fulfilling.”

According to Baldwin, an art studio thesis is also more accessible to the public.

“I mean, I wouldn’t have my kids read a 75-page paper on globalization, but I would show them my drawings from college,” Baldwin said. “I guess it’s kind of narcissistic.”

Wesleyan’s studio art major differs from other liberal art schools’ in that students are expected to show multiple pieces of work, and are granted their own space to do so. In contrast, most other schools only allow art studio majors to show one piece in a group exhibition.

The art studio major is also unique within the University in that it teaches philosophies not typically addressed in other disciplines, such as personal reflection, imaginative exploration, and craftsmanship. For many majors, it provides a pleasant balance to other courses that focus primarily on reading, writing, and public speaking.