Andrew Ribner/Photography Editor

Self-proclaimed anti-feminist, pro-free-speech editor Charlotte Allen gave a lecture at the Delta Kappa Epsilon (DKE) house, which was hosted by the alumni of the University’s DKE and Beta Theta Pi (Beta) chapters. The lecture was quick to spark controversy on campus, and the women’s advocacy group FemNet staged a peaceful sit-in at the event.

“I am here to deliver an alarming message: college fraternities are being hunted to extinction,” Allen declared.

Allen suggested that the change in attitudes towards fraternities has been facilitated by what she referred to as a “coalition of militant feminists.” She said that politically-correct college administrations are also to blame, as well as President Obama’s administration.

President Michael Roth, who was not at the lecture, countered the accusation that fraternities are under siege.

“The talk seems to be sponsored by people who have no idea what is happening on the Wesleyan campus,” Roth said. “There is no war on fraternities here, although we are waging a struggle against sexual violence.”

Allen suggested that that the administrative reaction that occurred at Yale University last spring—when pledges walked by a freshman dorm chanting “No means yes! Yes means anal!”—was an example of this change in attitude towards fraternities. The Yale administration suspended the DKE Fraternity for five years, on the grounds that the chants created a hostile sexual environment.

Allen said that, while the chants were undeniably in poor taste, it is absurd to suggest that they might make anyone feel unsafe.

“The one thing you could not call those Yale chants was actual threats of rape,” Allen said. “The Delta Kappa Epsilon incident was only a part of what I call the ‘scorched earth policy’ against fraternities on college campuses.”

Allen cited President Roth’s attempt to assert control over the Wesleyan chapter of Beta as another example of “politically correct universities” attempting to eliminate fraternities. Tensions between Beta and the administration heated up last semester after the administration forced the fraternity to rejoin campus housing, following two reported incidents of sexual assault in the house.

“You have lost your precious independence,” Allen told the brothers of Beta.

Allen ended her speech by suggesting that anti-fraternity sentiments will intensify as college education becomes increasingly feminized. She urged the crowd to fight for their rights to keep spaces free of University corruption.

“Fraternities provide a private space,” Allen said. “There, men do not have to apologize for being men, playing football, or having testosterone and throaty voices. They can laugh freely at the latest pronouncements from the campus women’s center.”

Cornelia Lorentzen ’13 took issue with Allen’s portrayal of feminists.

“I am a feminist,” she said. “I also have friends in all four of the fraternities on campus. I feel like comments saying that feminists are not your friends are actually creating divisiveness in the community that doesn’t exist.”

During a question and answer section following the talk, many more students, including fraternity members, voiced objections to Allen’s opinions. Some felt that her suggestions shed a negative light on the fraternity system at the University.

“I am a proud member of the Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity,” said Matt Leibowitz ’14. “And I still believe that doesn’t give me an excuse to make misogynistic comments.”

Others took issue with Allen’s portrayal of feminists as thin-skinned and humorless.

“I just want to say to all the members of fraternities in the audience that I live in Womanist House, and I’d like to be friends with you,” said Olivia May ’14. “I really hope you don’t feel antagonized by my house or anyone who lives in it.”

Noah Rauschkolb ’14 pointed out that the right to free speech can only go so far.

To conclude the debate, Matthew Gross ’15, a Beta pledge, indicated his support of Allen’s movement.

“Everyone has a right to say whatever they want,” Gross said. “I’m Jewish, and if somebody wanted to march down Foss Hill with a Nazi flag, that’s okay with me because it’s important to have a free space where everyone can say what they want.”

Roth suggested that he did not believe the discussion was pertinent given the atmosphere at Wesleyan and added that he has been pleased with the integration of the fraternities on campus.

“I think the fraternities are making a real effort to be places where men and women can expect to be treated with respect,” Roth said.

• Charlotte Allen

Sit-in? What sit-in? Unless you count sitting in chairs in the audience as a sit-in.

Here’s what I wrote about my speech for Minding the Campus: http://tinyurl.com/6ujhoxw

Wherever Free Speech becomes the exclusive domain of the Radical Feminist Mafia, it becomes nothing more than anti-men propaganda, cloaked in platitudes of “equality” — but bearing all the thorns from a hatred of men.

I applaud you for taking a stand on this issue. A serious backlash is brewing against feminism, and it isn’t only coming from men.

See 80 videos by “Women Against Feminism”
      http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL616D23D1DE15D5A1

• Marx

Personally I am sick and tired of feminists persistent attacks at men and cries of oppression whenever someone stand up to misandry of feminists anti male blame-games.

Most people who self-describe as feminists believe in the idea of equality because that’s what they’re told it’s all about . In that regard , it’s difficult to understand what the problem might be with the idea of feminism . Indeed , if that were the issue that people had with feminism it would be very easy to dismiss negative reactions to it . Unfortunately , what most people believe feminism is still about and what it has become are two different things .

The truth is that it doesn’t take much investigation to realize that something is seriously wrong with what those speaking in the name of feminism are saying and what the reality is .
    Anti-feminism is not some effort to wrest power from women . The goal of what some people call anti-feminism is simply to stop ignoring the needs of males . This can’t be done until the claims made by feminist organizations are challenged and the truth acknowledged . The wage gap is not the result of discrimination but rather of choices given to women thanks to feminism . It is not women and girls who need help in education but men and boys . As long as people actually believe that 1 in 4 women will be raped (despite substantial , credible scientific evidence to the contrary) further policies will be enacted that run counter to the fundamental principle of innocent until proven guilty .

Essentially , the problem that a growing number of people have with feminism is that it only tells one side of the story and blocks efforts to tell the other side . Because governments are only getting one side of the story , well-meaning politicians are enacting policies and laws that are directly harming men and boys . So what choice do people have but to attack the source of their problems ?

Again , the average feminist is under the impression that the movement is simply about equality between men and women . Unfortunately , because the general public is only getting one side of the story , feminist organizations have been able to make many demonstrably false claims and statements that governments have then acted on to the detriment of men and boys . The media has also played a substantial role in painting a picture of a society where males are best characterized as perpetrators and potential perpetrators of some crime against females sooner or later .

What anti-feminists want is for truth to be heard and seen . I don’t consider myself anti-feminist but , as an MRA , I do consider myself pro-male . I’m not interested in forcing women into kitchens , depriving them of an education , or turning them into chattel . I don’t consider myself anti-feminist either but rather anti-big-feminism . Is it really that much to ask for the government to actually look at its own statistics ?

• Duke lax

New gender, gender-raunch style feminism is not yer mothers “equality feminism” of 30 years ago.

• Jreuben

No war against fraternities?? What happened to the Chi Psi Lodge???

Jeff Reuben ’82

• LH

From the moment I set foot on the Wesleyan campus and joined DKE in Fall 2000, I was perceived to be a rapist or a potential rapist. Not only that , but women worked hard to undermine my confidence. Never mind that I was a virgin and would be for the next two years.