It’s been a bad year for Connecticut colleges. Last night at UCONN, Jasper Howard, 20,  the starting cornerback for the varsity football team, was stabbed and killed. We at Wesleyan can all understand the trauma that must be gripping the Storrs campus at the moment, and I want to send our support to the UCONN community, as well as to my friends there.

Apparently, the incident occurred outside a campus dance party a little after midnight. Campus police were at the party while it happened, and the stabbing was apparently precluded by some sort of group fight that started after a fire alarm was pulled. The police do not believe that a UCONN student stabbed Howard. Another student was stabbed in the incident but is still alive.

Hours before, Howard was being interviewed by the Associated Press about his critical role in an important victory for the football team that afternoon.

According to the Hartford Courant, Howard came from a tough background in Miami and also had a child on the way. Awful.

Campus police were at the party and one of the officers outside was approached about the stabbings. Police said two people were stabbed and were found near each other on Hillside Road. Both were taken by UConn ambulances to Windham Community Memorial Hospital.

Blicher could offer no details about the stabbings, where they occurred or how many.

“There is no specific reason to believe he [the suspect] is a danger to our community and I will point out the fact that this stabbing was subsequent to an altercation that occurred so I will call this not a random act of violence. The university does not have an individual walking around just stabbing people. This was definitely subsequent to the altercation that occurred.”

Howard was airlifted by Life Star to St. Francis where he died.

“I was called into the operating room to identify the body, 4, 4:30 [a.m. Sunday], somewhere in that range,” UConn football coach Randy Edsall said. “And then I had the — got on the phone with the doctor, Dr. ] Marshall, and had to make a phone call to Jasper’s family. I proceeded from there to go down and address the student-athletes who were there, the students who were there in a room and needless to say, that was not a very enjoyable moment for me.

The Courant story also mentions Annie Le and Johanna.

Howard’s death makes him the third Connecticut college student killed on or near campus in the past six months. In September, Yale University graduate student Annie Le, 24, was found strangled and stuffed into a wall in a school laboratory. Raymond Clark III, 24, who was working as a university lab technician in Le’s research building, has been charged with her murder. In May, Wesleyan University junior Johanna Justin-Jinich was working at a university bookstore and café a few blocks from campus when Stephen Morgan, whom police said stalked her, allegedly walked in and fatally shot her.

More: http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-football/hc-uconn-stabbing-jasper-howard-1018,0,69181.story

About Ezra Silk

I have been interested in journalism ever since I was an editor at my high school student newspaper, where I was involved in a freedom of speech controversy that was covered in the local newspaper as well as local television and radio outlets. The ACLU became involved, and the ensuing negotiations lead to a liberalization of my school's freedom of expression policy. I worked as a summer intern at the Hartford Courant after my freshman year at Wesleyan, reporting for the Avon Bureau under Bill Leukhardt and publishing over 30 stories. At the Argus I have been a news reporter, news assistant editor, news editor, features editor, editor-in-chief, executive editor, blogger, and multimedia director. I have overseen the redesign of wesleyanargus.com, founding the Blargus and initiating ArgusVideo at the beginning of my time as editor-in-chief during the spring of my junior year. During my senior year, I have co-edited the Blargus with Gianna Palmer and founded Argus News Radio, a 15-minute weekly show produced by WESU 88.1 on which I conduct a weekly segment interviewing seniors about their thesis topics. I have written over 70 stories at the Argus and continue to do reporting and blogging as much as I can.