This past Tuesday, April 9, the Cardinals traveled to Springfield, Mass. to take on non-conference foe Western New England College (WNE) in a doubleheader. The Cardinals split the series 1-1, and both games finished with a season-low score of 1-0.

Hits in both games of the doubleheader were few and far between. Pitcher Su Pardo ’16 earned a shutout and only allowed five hits in the opening game, striking out 11 Golden Bears while giving up just a single walk. After her performance against WNE, the freshman phenom remains perfect, boasting an 8-0 record on the mound this season.

Wes strung together a few baserunners to get its lone run on the board in the third inning. Lexi Parr ’15 gave the Cards their first hit of the day with a one-out single, but she was thrown out on a fielder’s choice two batters later. With two outs, Tori Redding ’13 smacked a single into right to drive in Gigi Olson ’15, who had reached on an error earlier in the inning. The run went down in the box score as unearned, but the Cardinals ended up with enough to come away with the win. After going hitless in the game, Allee Beatty ’13 saw her record-tying 21-game hit streak come to an end.

In the back end of the doubleheader, the Cardinals’ hit total dropped from six in the first game to three in the second. Redding had two of the three hits, and Alex Sarkowsky ’14 registered the third. Laura Getchell ’14 pitched all six innings for the Cardinals and only allowed three hits, striking out three. The one unearned run against Getchell came on a throwing error by out third baseman. Nevertheless, she picked up the loss; her record now stands at 6-4.

The Cardinals’ overall record holds strong at 18-6 after a 7-0 win against non-conference opponent Western Conn on Thursday, April 11. Their 5-1 NESCAC West record still stands atop the division; the Cards will return to conference play on Saturday, April 13, when they face Bates in Lewiston, Maine.