Kathy Lee/Staff Photographer

When the men’s and women’s swimming teams took to the water over the winter break, the two squads came away with vastly different results. In five winter matches, the men’s team floundered, coming away with just one win. Meanwhile, the Cardinal women found more success, coming away from the break with four victories.

Wesleyan’s women traveled to Division I Providence on Saturday, Jan. 5 and came home with their first win of 2013 by a margin of 120-111 after taking eight of the 13 events. Just two days later, the women hosted NESCAC opponent Hamilton before joining the men’s team in Florida for a week of training.  The women won 10 of the 14 events en route to a comfortable 176-122 win.

The men’s meet at Providence was close, with the Cardinals winning six of the 11 swimming events. Unfortunately, that wasn’t enough to take the overall victory as the Friars won by a margin of 99-82. Despite victories in six events again, the men fell to Hamilton by a 162-118 decision.

After a week of warm weather training in Florida, the Cardinals headed to Conn College, where both the men and women competed on Jan. 19. Unfortunately, the women fell by a score of 149-131, while the men were trounced, losing to the Camels 206-51. The next day, both teams traveled to Williamstown, Mass. to take on Williams and Tufts. Williams beat the Cardinal women by a score of 194-97, while Tufts topped Wesleyan 160-138. The men also struggled, losing to both Williams and Tufts by scores of 213-61 and 218-59, respectively.

Both teams then traveled to Bowdoin on Jan. 26 to compete in a four-way meet along with NESCAC competitors Colby and Trinity. The men got their first win of 2013, and their second of the season, by beating Colby by a score of 147-138. Unfortunately, the men couldn’t continue their 30-meet winning streak over Trinity, losing by the slimmest of margins, 140-139. Bowdoin easily dispatched all three competitors, including an emphatic 205-72 win over the Cardinals. The women’s team managed to beat Colby and Trinity by margins of 152-138 and 170-117, respectively, but couldn’t complete the sweep, losing narrowly to Bowdoin 171-122.

Wesleyan swimming next takes on Coast Guard at home on Saturday, Feb. 2 before hosting the annual NESCAC Championships from Feb. 22-24.