The Wesleyan women’s tennis team had two tall tasks over the weekend in the form of road contests versus nationally ranked Trinity and Amherst squads. On Saturday, April 28, the Cardinals traveled to Hartford to take on Trinity. Wesleyan received a rude welcoming from the host Bantams, falling 8-1 in a defeat which snapped the squad’s five-game winning streak. Lauren Jacobs ’15 was the sole victor of the day at #6 singles, dismantling her opponent in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2. Grace Smith ’14 took a loss in a tiebreaker with scores of 6-2, 3-6, (6-10) at #1 singles, while the rest of the Cardinal competitors fell in straight sets at singles.

At Amherst on Sunday, April 29, the Cardinals were outmatched by their Little Three foe, as Amherst won with a 9-0 shutout. Madison Hartley ’15 took her opponent to three sets, coming up short in a 1-6, 6-2, (6-10) match, while the rest of the singles players lost in straight sets to their Lord Jeff counterparts.

Despite the pair of losses to finish their campaign, the Cardinals had their seventh consecutive winning season, the first for new head coach Michael Fried. The Cardinals conclude the season with an 8-5 record overall, 3-5 in NESCAC play, and 5-4 in spring competition. The season was punctuated by the aforementioned five-game win streak, which included three NESCAC triumphs, four road wins, and an 8-1 romp on Senior Day against Smith College.

Wesleyan will have its sights set on yet another winning season in the 2012-2013 campaign. All but one starter will return, including Smith who went 7-5 in singles action and 8-5 in doubles action, with all but two of her performances coming in the #1 slot.  The first-year Jacobs tied Smith with a 7-5 singles record spread over the #4, 5, and 6 slots.