This past Saturday evening in Beckham Hall, 200 people assembled for an annual Islamic Relief Fundraiser, which raised over $40,000 for needy families in Egypt and Libya. Organized by Islamic Relief USA (IRUSA), a non-profit humanitarian organization, and the Connecticut Muslim Student Association (MSA), about 200 Muslims from the tri-state area attended the dinner event, in addition to eight University students who worked as volunteers.

MSA member and event organizer Rabia Shahid ’13 emphasized the importance of focusing on the every-day stories of people affected by the region’s recent turmoil who are now in need of relief.

“People have been debating what is going to be happening with the U.S. in Egypt and Libya, but it’s important not to forget about the common people who took to the streets,” Shahid said.

Guest speakers included New York University (NYU) Chaplain Imam Khalid Latif and Northeast Regional Manager of IRUSA Yousef Abdallah. Spoken word artist Tahani Saleh delivered a moving performance.

The proceeds will provide funding for IRUSA humanitarian projects to aid Libyan and Egyptian families affected by the recent uprisings. The event was held from 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. and cost $15 for students and $25 for non-students. Many families attended the event, with the University student volunteers providing on-site babysitting services.

Last year, the IRUSA fundraiser, which was held off-campus, raised relief money for areas of Pakistan affected by floods. In 2009 the event was held at the University and raised humanitarian aid for Gaza.