Denver Mayor and Colorado gubernatorial candidate John Hickenlooper ’74 was announced as Wesleyan’s 178th Commencement speaker for the class of 2010 this May in campus-wide e-mail sent out yesterday.

“Along with being a distinguished alumnus, Mr. Hickenlooper is an inspiring individual who has been hailed nationally as a creative innovator and leader, and, according to Time Magazine, one of ‘the top five ‘big-city’ mayors in America,’” wrote University Director of Media Relations David Pesci in an e-mail to The Argus.

According to the campus–wide e-mail, Hickenlooper is a geologist turned brewpub pioneer who did not run for political office until 2003 when he was elected for his first term as mayor of Denver.

“I have not seen his speech so I cannot speculate as to specifics, but I have no doubt that Mr. Hickenlooper will be an engaging speaker,” Pesci wrote.

A University committee decides the Commencement speaker and honorary degree nominations each year.

At the Commencement, the University will also award honorary degrees to Hickenlooper, Harvard University Professor Emeritus Stanley Cavell, Brown University President Ruth J. Simmons, and Wesleyan Professor of Music, Emeritus Richard K. Winslow ’40.