The women’s lacrosse team will look to build on the success of the 2009 season this spring, led by 13 returning letterwinners, including five starters. Leading the way is Hastings, the team captain and second-leading scorer from 2009. Hastings amassed 30 points (24 goals, six assists) last spring and has tallied 39 goals and 18 assists over her first three years in Middletown. She also put 84 percent of her shots on net and connected on 48 percent of them, both top marks on the team among players with at least 20 shots. Hastings has been a solid two-way midfielder as she caused seven turnovers and picked up 22 ground balls last season.

The Cardinals finished 6-9 in 2009, a season that included a 12-5 demolition of Little Three rival Amherst, the team’s first win against the Lord Jeffs since 1994. Wesleyan also defeated perennial power Bowdoin for the second time in three years after losing the previous 13 meetings, taking a 9-8 season-opening victory over the Polar Bears on Smith Field. Eight of Wesleyan’s nine losses in 2009 came against teams ranked in the top 16 nationally. The Cardinals will be tested early and often this spring as six of their 2010 opponents are ranked in the top 20 in the IWLCA preseason poll, including five NESCAC teams. Wesleyan opens the season on March 6 with a home game against Eastern Connecticut, followed by a three-game trip to West Palm Beach, Fla. from March 8-11.