Amherst freshman defender Geneva Lloyd was named NESCAC Women’s Ice Hockey Player of the Week after moving to a forward position over the weekend and tallying two goals and two assists. Lloyd assisted on the game-winner in a 1-0 win at St. Anselm on Tuesday and added an unassisted tally on Friday as the Lord Jeffs rallied from a 2-0 deficit to defeat Bowdoin 3-2. Lloyd added a goal and an assist on Saturday in a 5-1 win over Bowdoin and currently leads the team in points with 19, including three goals.

Bates junior men’s basketball forward Alex Gallant was named NESCAC Co-Player of the Week after leading the Bobcats to a 2-0 weekend. On Friday, Gallant netted a season-high 24 points on 9-of-14 shooting to lead the team to a 76-47 rout of Amherst, Bates’ first win against the Lord Jeffs since the 1987-88 season. He added a game-high 18 points and team-high seven rebounds in a 70-63 win over Trinity on Saturday, giving him averages of 21.0 points and 5.0 rebounds per game during the weekend.

Bowdoin men’s ice hockey goaltender Chris Rossi was named NESCAC Co-Player of the Week after making a combined 46 saves in wins over Amherst and Hamilton. Rossi had 23 stops as Bowdoin defeated the Lord Jeffs 4-2 on Friday and duplicated the feat in a 5-1 win over Hamilton on Saturday, giving him a .939 save percentage in the two games. Rossi leads the NESCAC with an 8-0-1 record and ranks second in the league in goals-against average (1.97) and fifth in save percentage (.921).

Colby senior Samantha Allen was selected to participate in the Women’s Basketball Coaches Association’s (WBCA) “So You Want to Be a Coach?” program. The program, which will take place April 2-4 in San Antonio, is a collaborative effort between the WBCA and NCAA to provide female student-athletes with an experience that becomes the foundation of a successful coaching career. Allen, who is averaging 8.5 points per game for the 19-3 White Mules, is the third member of the program since 2005 to seek a position in intercollegiate athletics, joining 2005 graduates Molly Rice and Laura Williamson.

Hamilton men’s lacrosse will serve meals to hungry Utica, N.Y. residents in conjunction with Utica Rescue Mission on Saturday for the second consecutive week. Junior Corbin Brown formed Hamilton Against Hunger last winter, initially working with the Food Bank of Greater Utica. Food not consumed in Hamilton’s dining halls is picked up twice a week by the rescue mission, with approximately 200 pounds of food salvaged each week. Brown is one of four Hamilton Against Hunger site coordinators, along with junior Stephen Lefebvre, sophomore Dan Bartus, and freshman James Keefe.

Middlebury men’s basketball center Andrew Locke was named a CoSIDA District I Second-Team Academic All-American. Locke, a junior who is double majoring in economics and neuroscience with a 3.55 GPA, is the starting center on the 19-2 Panther men’s basketball squad and led Middlebury to its first NESCAC title in 2008-09. Locke averages 3.38 blocked shots per game, tops in the NESCAC and third nationally. He is the school’s all-time leader in that category, having blocked 221 shots in 76 career games. He also ranks second in the NESCAC in field-goal percentage (.615).

Tufts women’s tennis head coach Kate Bayard was named the United States Tennis Association (USTA) New England 2009 College Coach of the Year. Bayard, who became head coach in 2005, will be honored at the annual award ceremony in Marlboro, Mass. next month. Bayard had been named Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Northeast Coach of the Year as well as NESCAC Coach of the Year following the 2009 season. The 2009 Jumbos reached the NCAA team regional finals for the second time in three years and finished 10-6.

Williams wrestler Tommy Prairie will be inducted into the New England Wrestling Association (NEWA) Hall of Fame at the NEWA Championships Feb. 20-21. Prairie, a 2005 graduate of Williams and a three-time All-American, held a career 106-8 record at Williams, giving the highest winning percentage among Eph wrestlers with at least 100 career wins. Prairie is currently the head wrestling coach at Plymouth State University and led the 2008-09 squad to a 10-8 record, the first winning season at Plymouth State since 2001-02 and the team’s first 10-win season since 1998-99.

• CrisisMaven

For anyone majoring in economics or finance: I have put one of the most comprehensive link lists for hundreds of thousands of statistical sources and indicators on my blog: Reference List. And what I find most fascinating is how data can be visualised nowadays with the graphical computing power of modern PCs, as in many of the dozens of examples in these Data Visualisation References. If you miss anything that I might be able to find for you or you yourself want to share a resource, please leave a comment.