After an intense mid-week matchup against Nichols that ended in a 0-0 tie, the women’s ice hockey team was back at it again as they took on Division I Sacred Heart University on Saturday afternoon at Spurrier-Snyder Rink.

Sacred Heart gained an early lead in the game as their leading scorer, Lauren Fontaine, scored the Pioneers’ first goal 14 minutes into the first period. Although Sacred Heart outshot the Cards 12-6, Wesleyan managed to stay focused and play smart, preventing the Pioneers from scoring again that period.

The second period remained scoreless, as Cardinal goalie Nicole Bonneau ’13 helped the Cards fend off the Pioneers’ impressive 20 shots on net. Unable to keep the puck down in the offensive zone for long, the Cards spent most of the period in their defensive zone and therefore only mustered nine shots.

“Nikki, our goalie, had another excellent showing in the game, giving us the opportunity to stay competitive,” said Sena Ito ’11.

Entering into the second period up by one, Sacred Heart heightened its lead as Fontaine scored her second goal of the game just under six minutes into the period.

The Cards managed to pick up the intensity and start making plays in the offensive zone. Alex Bean ’11 scored an unassisted goal less than one minute later to bring the Cardinals within 2-1.

“It was nice to score, since we hadn’t scored in 16 periods,” Bean said. “Although we couldn’t come away with a win, it was a well-fought game and a great effort from the team. No one was upset with the way we played.”

Midway through the period, however, Sacred Heart regained its two-goal advantage, lighting the lamp a third time to bring the score to 3-1.

The back and forth battle continued until the end of the game, when Fontaine secured a hat trick with 1:38 remaining, increasing the visitors’ lead to 4-1. Refusing to back down, the Cards fought untill the end, as Ito scored an unassisted goal 20 seconds later. But this final effort was not enough to prevent Sacred Heart from claiming a 4-2 win.

“The outcome wasn’t what we wanted, but we played well and unfortunately, the puck just didn’t bounce our way,” Ito said. “We had plenty of opportunities, and we skated the whole 60 minutes. All we can do is…play our best, and sometimes the game just doesn’t go our way.”

“I think the team played really well against Sacred Heart,” added Leah Coe ’11. “Unfortunately, they got a few lucky bounces, but we continued to work despite being behind for most of the game. We skated, worked hard, and never gave up.”

Competing for a spot in the upcoming NESCAC tournament, Wesleyan will face off next against the Colby Mules on Friday in Waterville, Maine. The weekend closes out on Saturday with a game against Bowdoin.