New Group, one of Wesleyan’s co-ed a cappella troupes, is made up of thirteen members who sing an array of pop music (all student arranged). This week, they all sat down for an interview, spoke about their favorite performers, nearly broke out into a fistfight over Backstreet Boys versus N’Sync, and almost killed me when I asked why they were still called New Group after being on campus for over 20 years. 

Argus: What is New Group all about? 

New Group: The money. Or getting chicks. In all seriousness, it’s about loving to sing with each other. We pride ourselves on showing the positive energy of people who love to be together.

A: Are there any artists you keep returning to for performances?

NG: The only song we keep in our repertoire forever is “Africa,” by Toto. Which is not to imply that we like Toto.

A: Why are you better than all of the other groups on campus combined?

NG: We’re friends with the other a cappella groups. Unlike the rest of them.

A: Is Michael Jackson really dead?

NG: Yes, but he lives on in his music and in our music. Actually, no. We don’t sing him anymore.

A: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

NG: Invisibility, because then we could sneak up around people and sing a cappella to them. Or Michael Roth.

A: If you had a party, which famous dead celebrities would you invite?

NG: Definitely not Michael Jackson or Patrick Swayze. Probably Otis Redding, but he’d be an attention whore. Jesus, so he could make more wine.

A: The OC or Gossip Girl?

NG: Gossip Girl

A: Strippers or Exotic Dancers?

NG: Strippers.

A: Backstreet Boys or N’Sync? 

[Editor’s Note: As was previously mentioned, at this point in the interview a massive fight broke out between the members of New Group. After five minutes of shouting and Justin Timberlake references, democracy prevailed and the hotly debated question was put to a vote.]

NG: N’Sync

A: Batman or Spiderman?

NG: Batman was way more badass.

A: Weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?

NG: A grasshopper. Chicken anus.

A: Funniest person you’ve ever met?

NG: We met Lemony Snicket. He was hilarious, and he’s actually one of the founding members of our group.

A: Ok, I have to ask. Why are you called New Group if you aren’t new?

NG: Don’t ask that question! Long story short, sometime in the ‘80s three women wanted to start another co-ed a cappella troupe, and the name has not been changed since. Some members of New Group are petitioning for a name-change to “Nude Group.”

(Catch New Group at their next concert, on October 16th, and keep an eye out for their newest album, coming out this spring!)