A University mission statement has been drafted as part of Wesleyan’s 2020 planning for the future framework of the institution. The University did not previously have a mission statement.

“Wesleyan University is dedicated to providing an education in the liberal arts that is characterized by boldness, rigor, and practical idealism,” reads the community draft of the statement. “At Wesleyan, distinguished scholar-teachers work closely with students, taking advantage of fluidity among disciplines to explore the world with a variety of tools. The university seeks to build a diverse, energetic community of students, faculty, and staff who think critically and creatively and who value independence of mind and generosity of spirit.”

President Michael Roth told The Argus that the University is asked to have a mission statement from accrediting agencies.

“Again it [the mission statement] is not unimportant, but I wouldn’t give it too much importance,” Roth said. “I don’t think we discovered our mission through the statement, we just got a statement that reflects much of what we attempt to accomplish. So I feel pretty good about it.”

The mission statement is currently in the review process, and the Board of Trustees has yet to approve the statement.