The Wesleyan men’s soccer players wasted no time showcasing their determination and high hopes for this season with a 1-1 tie against Williams on Saturday. The Cardinals proved their preparedness, skill, and confidence in Williamstown, forcing the Ephs to walk off the field without a win for only the second time in 21 meetings between the two schools. Stellar goaltending from Adam Purdy ’13, an impressive goal from Jacob Mergendoller ’11, and some undisciplined acts by a Williams player all contributed to a match that set the bar for the rest of the fall. If this game is any indication of what the Cards have in store for the season, it will be one to remember.
After a scoreless first half, Williams acted quickly, scoring just over four minutes after the break to take the lead. Despite going down a goal, the men stayed resilient and focused. In the 62nd minute, the Cards’ composure paid off as Eph Pierre Meloty-Kapella was assessed a red card and dismissed from the game for his second inappropriate tackle on co-captain Jory Kahan ’10. Williams was forced to play the remainder of the game down a man. This turning point gave Wesleyan a boost and the men capitalized 15 minutes later.
Co-captain Nick Whipple ’10 took a corner kick and sent the ball to Woody Redpath ’10, who attempted to set up teammate Geoff Zartarian ’11. Though Zartarian was in prime position at the back post, he passed to Mergendoller,who shot the ball into the back of the net for his first career goal. This total team effort demonstrated the Cards’ maturity and unselfishness. Wesleyan stayed on the attack for much of the remainder of the game.
Freshman keeper Purdy made five saves in the game, including two in the second overtime, giving the Cards defensive security. After the two additional frames of play, the teams settled for a tie, a bittersweet ending for many of the Cards. Overall, there was a sense of pride in tying a Little Three rival that had given Wesleyan a lot of grief, as well as playing a strong game, but there was a twinge of discontent that the men couldn’t pull out the win.
“When the referee gave the red card, we knew that it was our game and that we should win it,” said Reuben Johnson ’11. “Coming away with a tie was a disappointment but it’s better than a loss.”
Despite the less-than-ideal outcome, the game itself was strong and respectable.
“We battled from start to finish and made plays when the game was on the line,” said head coach Geoff Wheeler.
This Wesleyan team seems well-equipped at this early stage of the season, and much of this poise and readiness comes from the team’s experience in Argentina this past summer. The Cards played against five local clubs as a pre-pre-season and soaked up professional understanding by attending three games. The bonding and preparation that took place in mid-August has been vital to the team’s strong start to 2009.
“We are all in great shape and we’ve been working especially hard this year on playing more of a possession game,” added Johnson.
Four seniors from last year have moved on but nine freshmen join the squad, adding depth. The returnees have put in a lot of effort and expect a winning season.
“We aren’t really weak in any position,” said Austin Woolridge ’11. “We have a great team this year.”
The home opener takes place this Wednesday against Springfield. More NESCAC action will take place at home against Colby on Saturday before the team travels to Western New England for a Sunday matinee.