It is safe to say that almost every athlete’s dream is to play for a major league team. It is a lofty goal, often unrealistic, but it provides motivation and determination for every person who rushes out onto a field, court or rink. Over the summer, former Wesleyan baseball player Drew Dominguez ’09 took a major step toward realizing this goal, signing with the Boston Red Sox. He is the first Cardinal player in 44 years to sign a contract with a Major League Baseball team.

In an interview on YouTube, Dominguez described the initial events that led to his agreement with Boston. He had been at dinner with friends, reveling in post-graduation excitement and looking forward to a European adventure that was to begin in Brussels in a few short days. During the meal, he received a life-changing phone call from the regional coordinator of the Red Sox, who proceeded to offer him a contract. After accepting immediately, Dominguez sat in shock. While the possibility of a baseball career had been at the back of his head, it was still that unfeasible fantasy.

But in mid-June, he found himself in Lowell, Mass., playing for the Sox’s short-season single-A affiliate, the Lowell Spinners. Dominguez was suddenly in the midst of professional baseball, experiencing the beginnings of the journey to Fenway Park.

After debuting on June 21, Dominguez played 14 of the Spinners’ 75 games, playing second base as well as throwing one inning on the mound. He went 7-for-38 at the plate for a batting average of .184. The team’s season ended Saturday after a 5-1 loss to the Staten Island Yankees. It was the final contest of a three-game series, the first round of the postseason. While Dominguez did not play in the majority of Lowell’s games, the experience he gained both from observing his teammates and playing in a handful of contests will prove to be invaluable.

“He had this amazing opportunity to play professional baseball reserved for only a select few,” said Wesleyan head baseball coach Mark Woodworth. “He was behind a couple of good players, but when he did play, he really did a great job and showed he belonged.”

Dominguez dominated on the diamond during his years at Wesleyan, both offensively and defensively. During most of his time here, he played shortstop, but he became a reliable pitcher during his last year. Last season, he broke his own Wesleyan seasonal record for hits with 60, topping the 58 he connected for in 2008. Overall, he is second all-time in career hits with 174. On the mound, he went 5-2 with a 6.29 ERA, pitching five complete games. These statistics left Dominguez with a first-team all-NESCAC selection, as well as the MacNaughten Award as the team’s Most Valuable Player. He had been chosen to the all-NESCAC second team in 2008. His career batting average was an impressive .333, and his knack for stealing bases left him with 28 in 36 attempts.

“Drew was one of the best athletes I’ve seen come through Wesleyan in the last 20 years,” said Woodworth. “His ability to sense the game and feel what’s happening have always been at an elite, professional level.”

Dominguez’s leadership and other athletic talents accompany his skill and aptitude for baseball. He was a team captain for both the baseball and football teams during his senior year. During every fall of his time at Wesleyan, he hit the gridiron as a defensive back and kick returner, eventually receiving the Eck Award for as the player who exhibits the most spirit, sportsmanship and devotion to the game. And every spring, he would lace up a different set of cleats for the diamond, acting as a backbone for the Cardinal baseball team. Woodworth saw Dominguez’s character daily, and offers insight into his most impressive qualities.

“He lives in the present better than any player I’ve ever coached in my career,” said Woodworth. “Good or bad, he puts it in the past, doesn’t let things bother him, and moves on to the next play.”

There is no doubt that Dominguez is once again living in the moment. He is soaking up every minute that he spends under contract with the Red Sox, ready and willing should the next step to his dream ever come true.