Much of the coverage of the men’s indoor track season has focused on the track and jumping events, and with good reason—the Cardinals have been simply sensational in these areas this season. Equally impressive, however, have been the Cardinals’ throwers, who appear poised to extend their run of dominance this spring. One team member who can be counted on to play a big role this spring is tri-captain Newman Hoffman ’09, who is in the midst of the best season of his career and is expecting more big things in the spring.

Hoffman had a second-place finish in the shot put in Wesleyan’s second meet of the indoor season with a distance of 43’ 8 1/2”. He followed that up with a sixth-place performance in the Tufts Invitational (43’ 3”), one of Wesleyan’s top finishes on the afternoon. Hoffman had a distance of 44 feet even during the team’s final home meet of the indoor season and was one of three Cardinals to place during last weekend’s New England Division III meet, with an eighth-place distance of 43’ 8 1/2”. Hoffman also had a strong spring last season, including a top-four finish in he shot put in the Swanson Invitational.

Both Wesleyan track programs are soaring to new heights, and the men will look to improve even further on last year’s fourth-place finish in the NESCAC Championships in 2009. The Cardinals’ runners and jumpers will certainly play a major role in the team’s continued ascension, but Wesleyan’s strength in the field events should not be overlooked. Led by Hoffman, Wesleyan track will look to cement itself as a mainstay among the NESCAC’s elite this spring.

• Peter D. Hoffman , Newman’s Father

The Sports Information Director is missing the true import of Newman’s story. It is not how far he throws but that he has willed himself to throw at all. The challenges Newman has surmounted to be a quality varsity thrower are immense. I suggest a follow up story.

• Augie Wolf

Please give my greetings and kudos to Newman for keeping on it and throwing a very respectable 43′–fantastic. We have started a club in Westchester–great coaching here if he wants to continue throwing after graduation. http://www.usatelitetrack.org