Led by Ashley Garrett’s ’12 5-0 record, the women’s squash team went 2-3 at the Smith/Mount Holyoke Invitational over the weekend, a record that includes two narrow 5-4 losses. The team now sits at 8-8 on the season and is seeded 10th in the upcoming NESCAC Championship.

Wesleyan opened the year 0-3, including a pair of 9-0 losses to Middlebury and George Washington University in the Wesleyan Round Robin, but rebounded to sweep the last four matches of the tournament. Wesleyan defeated Smith College 8-1 and Wellesley College 7-2 before earning a pair of 6-3 victories over Connecticut College and Columbia University. The win over Conn. College was Wesleyan’s fourth straight over the Camels.

Following the two-day Williams College Tournament and a weeklong trip to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico, the Cardinals returned to action on Jan. 16 with a home match against Hamilton. The Cardinals fell 9-0 and also dropped a 9-0 decision to Bates the following day, but rebounded to defeat St. Lawrence University 7-2 and Wellesley 9-0. Katie Kalafus ’09, Rachael Ghorbani ’09, and Garrett swept their matches against St. Lawrence at the seventh, eighth, and ninth spots, respectively, and Wesleyan swept the 2-9 matches against Wellesley.

Wesleyan participated in the Smith/Mount Holyoke Invitational over the weekend, losing its three Saturday matches but winning both on Sunday. Wesleyan opened the Invitational with a 5-4 loss to Franklin & Marshall, followed by a 7-2 defeat against Mount Holyoke and a 5-4 loss to Colby. Garrett swept all three of her matches on the day, and Kalafus won two of her three matches. The Cardinals defeated William Smith College 7-2 and Smith 9-0 on Sunday, and 12 of the Cardinals’ 16 individual victories came by 3-0 scores.

Wesleyan opens NESCAC Championship play at Trinity this weekend with a match against seventh-seeded Amherst on Friday. With a win, the Cardinals will advance to face second-seeded Williams at Trinity, while an Amherst victory means Wesleyan will return to Middletown to face the loser of the first-round match between ninth-seeded Colby and eighth-seeded Tufts.