A look back at some of the shining moments of the 2007-2008 Wesleyan sports year:

Men’s baseball first baseman Chris Simpson ’08 set the Wesleyan single season record for home runs with nine, while shortstop Drew Dominguez ’09 also surged into the record books with 56 hits in 2008, the most ever in a single season by a Cardinal ballplayer.

Ali Fourney ’09 is on pace to become the Wesleyan women’s basketball all time points leader, after leading the NESCAC in both points per game (16.4) and steals (2.92). After three seasons at Wesleyan, Fourney has more points than any other woman in the University’s history entering her final season. Her stellar play landed her a spot on the All-NESCAC first team. Teammate Lucy Sprung ’08 was voted to the second team after posting 15.2 points per game and nine rebounds, both averages good enough to be placed within the league’s top ten.

For the third straight year, the men’s crew team came away with high laurels from the annual New England Rowing Championships. The Cards returned with three medal-winning efforts, as the varsity eight and third varsity placed with bronze medals while the second varsity brought home the silver.

Sam Grover ’08 finished his four-year career with a NESCAC title in the long jump with a jump of 47-8. He collected 23 team points for Wesleyan in all, with a fourth place finish in the high jump and two fifth place finishes in the long jump and 110 meter hurdles. Grover took another long jump title at the New England Division III Championship with a jump of 47-1.

The men’s soccer team won a school record ten straight games in 2007, including a streak of five straight via shutouts.

Softball boasted three women on the All-NESCAC first team, as Meaghan Dendy ’10, Talia Bernstein ’11 and Marcia Whitehead ’08 were recognized for superb seasons. Dendy also received laurels as the league pitcher of the year. Pitcher Karla Hargrave ’08 was selected to the all league second team and coach Jen Shea was the league’s co-coach of the year, leading the Cardinals to a 21-16 season (10-2 in NESCAC West play).

Diver Dave Wilkinson ’09 had the highest finish by a Cardinal swimmer at the NESCAC championships, finishing third in the one-meter board.

Ania Preneta ’09, Rachael Ghorbani ’09 and Anika Fischer ’10 were selected to the All-NESCAC second team in 2008, making them the first women in school history to receive all conference recognition.