The men’s soccer team notched its second straight win of the season on Wednesday, beating the United States Coast Guard Academy 2-1 in a game played on Jackson Field.

Alan Ashenfelter ’09 capitalized on a failed Coast Guard clear, stealing the ball just outside the box, dribbling it towards the middle and striking it nicely inside the near post for the game winner in the 76th minute. Goaltender James Hiteshew ’08 started the game, recording eight saves, including five in the crucial second half to anchor the Cardinal defense. The Cards’ defense continuously thwarted a Coast Guard offense that managed four corner kicks in the first 45 minutes and 16 shots in the game.

“Obviously, it felt great to get a win to keep the momentum going,” Hiteshew said. “After controlling most of the game against WNEC [Western New England College] on Sunday, yesterday we showed that we can find a way to win even when we’re not playing our best.”

The Wesleyan offense was able to score first. Ozzie Parente ’09 broke the deadlock by confidently finishing in close after receiving a skillful through-ball from Austin Woolridge ’11. Coast Guard responded quickly, however, scoring seven minutes later on an unassisted blast from David O’Brien that deflected off of a Wes defender and into the back of the net.

The game was very intense for long stretches, with the teams combining for 36 fouls, including 24 in the second half alone. Although they didn’t play their best game, the Cards did succeed in preventing goals on four corner kicks in the first half, an area in which the Wes defense struggled during their early four game losing streak.

After Ashenfelter put the Cards back on top ten minutes later, the Cardinals’ defense buttoned down the hatches and sealed Wesleyan’s ninth victory over Coast Guard in the schools’ last eleven meetings. With the loss, Coast Guard falls to 5-3 on the season. Wesleyan, which dropped its first four games of the season before winning on Sunday, improves to 2-4 (0-4 in NESCAC).

The Wesleyan offense has been very balanced through the team’s first six games. Six different players have scored, with only Keisuke Yamashita ’10 scoring more than once.

In light of two straight victories, Hiteshew acknowledges the team still has great room for improvement.

“We have some things to work on the next two days in practice,” he said. “But we’re looking forward to Saturday’s trip to Conn. and a chance to put a damper on their homecoming festivities.”

The Cards hope to secure their first NESCAC win of the year on Saturday, when they travel to Connecticut College to battle the Camels.