Building on the momentum from its three-match sweep in Maine over the weekend, the women’s volleyball team defeated Rhode Island College 3-1 on Tuesday night for its fourth straight victory. It was the Cardinals’ sixth win over R.I.C. in the past seven seasons. With the win, Wesleyan improved its all-time record against teams from the state of Rhode Island to 35-8 (a .814 winning percentage, Wesleyan’s highest against any state).

Wesleyan cruised to a 30-20 win in the first game of the match, but R.I.C. answered back with a 30-27 win to knot the match at 1-1. However, the Cardinals won the next two games 30-18, to lock up theirfourth consecutive win. The final two games were the fifth and sixth times Wesleyan has won a game by ten or more points this season.

Outside hitter Lisa Drennan ’09, who entered the week as the NESCAC’s kills leader, with 5.00 per game, recorded 21 in the match to raise her season total to 111; Drennan also recorded 15 digs. Fellow outside hitter Becca Rodger ’08 added 10 kills and 13 digs. Defensive specialist Ruby Hernandez ’11, who entered the week sixth in the NESCAC with 4.78 digs per game, recorded 17 more to lead the team and raise her season total to 103. Ellie Healy ’10 recorded 10 digs and 44 assists; Healy is currently second in the NESCAC with 11.45 assists per game.

Wesleyan was also helped by an R.I.C. attack that committed 37 errors and finished with a hitting percentage of .078. So far this season, Wesleyan’s six opponents have a combined hitting percentage of .107, and only Williams (.268) has cracked the .100 barrier. These high error totals and low hitting percentages are almost certainly due in part to Wesleyan’s high block totals. The Cardinals entered the match averaging 2.44 blocks per game, second only to Hamilton, which began the week averaging 2.68 per game. Only one other team entered the week averaging over two blocks per game: Connecticut College, with 2.38.

Wesleyan is now 5-1 in the season. This weekend, the Cardinals will travel to Massachusetts for the M.I.T. Invitational tournament for the first time since 2000. The Cardinals’ first match will take place against Muhlenberg on Friday.