The Wesleyan Argus is published by the undergraduates of Wesleyan University. The Wesleyan Argus was founded in 1868 and is the country’s oldest twice-weekly printed college newspaper. The Argus was named after the hundred-eyed, all-seeing giant from Greek mythology. Argus alumni have gone on to write and to work for the country’s top media companies such as The New York Times, The Wall Street Journal, The Washington Post, Vanity Fair, and ABC News.

The University does not publish the Argus or influence its content, nor is it responsible for any opinions expressed in The Argus.

The Argus is published twice weekly during the school year except in exam periods or recesses.

Contact Information:

For editorial concerns, including content questions or corrections, email argus@wesleyan.edu.

For business concerns, including advertising and subscriptions, email argusads@wesleyan.edu.

Submissions:

The Argus welcomes Letters to the Editor (formerly known as Wespeaks) for people to share their opinions on topics of interest to the Wesleyan community. The submission deadline for letters to the editor is 4 p.m. on Monday for publication in Tuesday’s issue, and 4 p.m. on Thursday for publication in Friday’s issue. All submissions must be submitted online (as of Nov. 14, 2013). Letters to the Editor are also published online at the time they are put into print.

The Argus reserves the right to edit all submissions for length. The Argus will not edit Letters to the Editor for spelling, content, or grammar, though it reserves the right to edit for length. All submissions must be accompanied by a title. The editorial staff may provide titles for any submissions. All letters to the editor should be submitted through the Argus website and should include the author’s name and email address.

The Argus reserves the right to withhold Letters to the Editor submitted anonymously. The Argus also reserves the right to withhold Letters to the Editor that are excessively vulgar or nonsensical, or that constitute personal attacks, defamation, or hate speech. (Updated January 2016)

Website Moderation Policy:

The Argus welcomes thoughtful debate and critique in its comment sections. The goal is to provide a civil forum where all voices can be heard and readers can exchange spirited commentary. Accordingly, The Argus reserves the right to moderate and delete comments. Examples of commentary that will not be tolerated include: personal attacks, defamation, hate speech, commercial promotions, and impersonations. The Argus also reserves the right to ban repeat offenders.