I grew up believing that I had a birthright to a place 7,605 miles away. That place—yes, that place—was mine. I was told that I could take a knife to a map, carve out an entire section, and smear it with words like trauma, safety, and Jew. I am a daughter of Abraham and a successor to barbed-wire ghettos—so not only is this place mine, but it is my father’s, it is my mother’s, and it is my brother’s. This vindication seeped into my gut and the ground on which I stood—that ground which was scarred with the imprint of a mother’s and daughter’s feet, a child’s blanket, and roofing tiles of those exiled from their home to an unbeknown 25-mile strip for the sake of my vindication.

I also grew up believing that Judaism outlaws vengeance. I’ve known vengeance. I saw a swastika carved into my synagogue’s door the week before Yom Kippur. I’ve seen swastikas written for fun on school desks or drawn into the red dirt at the park, and I’ve heard calls home from my brothers describing antisemitic posters pasted around their college campus. And at every corner, I turn my cheek to hatred because I am a daughter of Abraham and I was raised to know the cost of absorbing vengeance through the pores of my skin; the humanity of letting it go with forgiveness. To me and to those who raised me, this is strength. 

So don’t say ‘This is for all Jews’ when you fence two million Palestinians in Gaza—mothers, fathers, and children—like cattle for the sake of ‘protection’ and ‘justice’. Don’t say ‘This is for all Jews’ to justify the unimaginable when you fire missiles at maternity wards, homes, and borders. Don’t say ‘It’s for all Jews.’ Say land, say oil, say money, say power, but do not invoke my religion and my history to take vengeance against Gaza and Gazans. I’ve had the luxury of calling a place foreign to myself a homeland. I can say this and put my head to rest where I actually live and have lived my entire life, 7,605 miles away, in Los Angeles. We cannot take a population’s home because someone erased ours. That, too, is vengeance disguised as justice.

I’ve been asked why Palestinian liberation is of unique importance to me. I’ve been asked, “Why aren’t you giving the same attention to the genocide of Armenians in Nagorno-Karabakh, or the Uyghur Muslims in China?” Countless injustices occur around the world every day. Instead of spreading ourselves thin, advocates must decide where our passion lies and where we can help most. If you are upset that my attention is not predominantly focused on the Uyghur Muslims in China or the Armenian genocide, then by all means, bring awareness to those issues. But do not use this as a means to dismiss my passion for the Palestinian cause.

I’ve been told that the “Free Palestine” movement has been given greater attention simply because everyone hates the idea of a Jewish state. But there is a difference between hating the concept of a Jewish state and contesting this Jewish state. I pay close attention to this issue because I am Jewish, and because I take issue with the weaponization of my religion to erase an entire culture and collective of people. I take issue with a manufactured Jewish utopia, granted to us not by God but by the 1948 United Nations General Assembly—a fabricated utopia responsible for a painfully real Palestinian dystopia. I take issue with friends calling me antisemitic for criticizing and acknowledging Israel as an apartheid state. It boils my blood that an apartheid government is so closely associated with my religion that criticism of one becomes a criticism of the other.

I will no longer accept passivity and an overcomplication of plain, simple, and overt injustice. If you believe that you’ve educated yourself on Israel and Palestine and still reject Palestinian self-determination, then I will unapologetically demand that you try harder. I demand that you unravel the narrative that has been fed to the general public by the United States, the Israel Defense Forces, and the state of Israel.

Since the Hamas attack on October 7, Israel has killed 32,916 and injured 75,494 Palestinians. If you had asked my views on Israel and Palestine before October 7, I would have called it a conflict. I would have regurgitated the same weak answers that I’ve been fed and happily swallowed from birth by Western media and politicians. But the horrors that ensued in Gaza after October 7 turned my stomach—no, they didn’t just turn my stomach, they turned it inside out, they brought stomach acid up to my throat and into my eyes. It dawned on me to ask, this whole time, have I been on the side of the oppressor? I decided to actually educate myself. I learned about the Nakba where over 750,000 Palestinians were forcibly removed from their homes by Israeli militants, I learned about restrictive housing access for Palestinians residing in Israel and countless other discriminatory laws and a long history and continuation of overt apartheid policy.

I used to be a Zionist. I used to be complicit in genocide. I used to agree blindly that the Middle East was ‘just complicated.’ Then, I challenged myself to question what I thought to be true; I challenged myself to sit with the shame and discomfort of admitting my complicity through silence and ignorance. I felt confused, nauseous, isolated, and guilty. I reckoned with my participation in a lie and lack of courage to challenge it. And afterward, I felt ready to embrace a new set of beliefs and stand on the side of justice. 

Eliana Goldstein can be reached at egoldstein02@wesleyan.edu

• anon

so brave of you! i understand that many jewish people are raised with zionist ideals and fear what their families and friends will think if they decide to disagree with everyone else so it can be very difficult . thank you for writing this!

• It seems like you are an authority on this subject—as if you wrote the book on it or something. Though I think you could clarify your arguments a bit more with some photos, other than that, this is a fantastic site and I will certainly be back.

• Bwer Pipes – Your Trusted Partner for Agricultural Irrigation in Iraq: Explore Bwer Pipes for reliable irrigation solutions tailored for Iraqi agriculture. From durable pipes to advanced sprinkler systems, we have everything you need to optimize your crop yields. Visit Bwer Pipes

• Maurice C. Hakim

How sad that a Jew can condemn Israel for retaliating to Hamas’s murderous attack. How naive to use the phony numbers of dead Palestinians claimed by Hamas. Are you familiar with what the Arabs did to Jews in their countries after the 1956 War? Are you aware that thousands were murdered and those that weren’t were forcibly exiled penniless like my father’s family members were? My uncle was imprisoned in a dungeon for 2 years, falsely accused of being a Zionist spy by none other than his business partner who stole a very prosperous trucking business. Shame on you for your crocodile tears in sympathy for a people who want nothing less than the death of all Jews like you and me!
    Maurice C. Hakim ’70

• Alan Saly ’79

I remember at the age of 12 watching the student demonstrators who had taken over the quad at Columbia from my grandmother’s window, which overlooked the campus from several blocks away. That was about Vietnam. I remember sitting in at Colin Campbell’s office at Wesleyan to get the university to divest back in 1977 as part of the South Africa Action Group. Then there were the huge protests against the invasion of Iraq in 1983 here in New York. Bush laughed at us and went right ahead. A million died. This time it is the same. It comes down to this: we have to stop the war machine. Humanity rebels in the face of such atrocities. Surely the Jewish people have a better way to reconcile with the Palestinians, than bombing them into the stone age.

• Wesalum78

While many agree that civilian casualties should be minimized, failure to start the conversation with a condemnation of Hamas for its 10/7 massacre and continued hostage taking diminishes your argument.
    You state that Israel is an apartheid state but fail to mention that there are -0- Jews living in Arab countries after being evicted. You fail to blame any of the other middle east countries that could not give a damn about Palestinians. Egypt was thrilled to get rid of Gaza where it also kept Palestinians enclosed as was Jordan equally thrilled to get rid of the West Bank where it had decades to have created a Palestinian state. Israel remains the 1 place in the world that you are welcome unconditionally. It is not a simple situation because if it was, it would have been resolved long ago. I just wish a SINGLE person protesting today had been protesting immediately after 10/7 advocating against any support to Hamas.