c/o Steve McLaughlin

c/o Steve McLaughlin

In Play(er) of the Week, we seek to highlight Wesleyan athletes or parts of games that deserve extra attention. Olivia Quinn ’26 is a guard on the Wesleyan women’s basketball team. Quinn is off to an impressive start as she leads the team in points, rebounds, made field goals, and three-point percentage through the first three weeks of the season, just to name a few of her accomplishments. Her standout performance came against Clark University on Nov. 21 when she notched 22 points and 11 boards, helping the Cardinals to a 92–73 win. For her showing, Quinn was named to the week three New England Women’s Basketball Association (NEWBA) First Team. The Argus recently sat down with Quinn to talk about her love of basketball and her hopes for the season going forward.

The Argus: Can you introduce yourself?

Olivia Quinn: I’m an econ major, and I’m also double minoring in data analysis and history.

A: When did you first start playing basketball?

OQ: Probably around fourth grade.

A: What made you fall in love with the sport?

OQ: Just being on a team and being a part of a team. I just love the idea of competing for one thing with your teammates.

A: Yeah, definitely. At what point did you start considering playing basketball in college and realize that that was a real possibility?

OQ: Probably my freshman year of high school. I really got committed to trying to play basketball in college.

A: What was the process of looking for a college like, and how did you choose Wesleyan as the right place to continue your academic and athletic careers?

OQ: For AAU (Amateur Athletic Union), I went to a couple big tournaments where coaches were there watching and recruiting, and I connected with [Head Coach Kate] Mullen. And I came to campus and as soon as I got here, I knew I wanted to come.

A: What was it about the campus or the team that really kind of set it apart for you?

OQ: I kind of loved the idea of being on a college campus versus being at a city school, and then just the team. My teammates here are my best friends. So as soon as I met them, I knew that it would be the place for me.

A: So far, how has your experience been as a student athlete now that you’re a year and a half in?

OQ: It’s been great. I am so happy. I’m so glad I chose Wesleyan. And I have absolutely no complaints. I love it here.

A: What is your favorite Wesleyan basketball moment or game from your career so far?

OQ: Last year when we beat Amherst was definitely the best moment of the season, and our team hadn’t beat Amherst in like 15 years. So it was like a huge win for our team.

A: So now, going into this season, what are your hopes for yourself and for your teammates?

OQ: I mean, I have a lot of excitement going into the NESCAC season. I’m hoping we can win at least one more game than we did last season and make it to the playoffs.

A: Based on your hopes or what you thought going into the season, how would you say the team is performing so far?

OQ: We had a really tough game last Saturday against Amherst and unfortunately lost, but it showed how much potential we have going into the regular season.

A: Can you speak to the team chemistry and team bonding and how it’s helped you guys both on and off the court?

OQ: As I said, all my teammates are my best friends. For Thanksgiving we do a great Thanksgiving dinner and we always do little things like that. So I feel like that translates to the court. We’re always hanging out off the court. When we get on court we always have each other’s backs.

A: So you opened the season with a 67-point win over Rosemont College which is just amazing. So how was that game for you guys? And was it a confidence boost going into the season?

OQ: Definitely. That was a great game. Everyone contributed something good, something to help us get that win, so I think that was a great way to start the season.

A: And then a couple of games later, you had a great game against Clark, with 22 points and 11 rebounds for a double-double. And for that performance and a few others you were awarded the week three NEWBA First Team. So how did it feel to get that kind of recognition?

OQ: Yeah, it was definitely exciting. I was happy that we could get that win at Clark. As I always say, I can’t score unless people are getting stops on defense and passing the ball, so it’s really a team effort.

A: So you mentioned the Amherst game. But in that game, you guys were tied retired at half and then had small leads into the third quarter. And then, eventually, Amherst took it in the fourth quarter. So what do you think you can attribute that result to? And also is there an adjustment you see, that could help you guys hold on and win a tight game like that?

OQ: I think that that game really shows how much potential we have. And I think that how we’re gonna hold on to that lead in the future is by coming in practice and working hard doing what Coach is telling us, and staying focused. So we definitely can do it.

A: I know—again—it’s early in the season, but from these first few games, have you guys been able to identify any particular strengths that this team has?

OQ: I think we’re really good at sharing the ball and assisting each other. We’ve really honed in on our defense; I feel like our defense is much improved from last year. We’re really good at sharing the ball and making our teammates get good looks and defensively being really locked in on our principles this year.

A: That sounds like a lot to look forward to! Looking back, if you could give your first-year self some advice from what you’ve learned so far as a student athlete, what do you think it would be?

OQ: I would probably say it’s all gonna work out. I feel like that’s cliche, but for balancing classes and basketball and everything else—it’s just all gonna work out.

This article has been edited for length and clarity.

Ethan Lee can be reached at ejlee@wesleyan.edu

• I appreciate you sharing this blog post. Thanks Again. Cool.

• The Elitepipe Plastic Factory in Iraq serves as a catalyst for infrastructure development, providing the market with superior HDPE, uPVC pipes, and fittings that contribute to the growth and success of various sectors. Elitepipe Plastic Factory

• This is really interesting, You’re a very skilled blogger. I’ve joined your feed and look forward to seeking more of your magnificent post. Also, I’ve shared your site in my social networks!

• For the reason that the admin of this site is working, no uncertainty very quickly it will be renowned, due to its quality contents.

• I really like reading through a post that can make men and women think. Also, thank you for allowing me to comment!

• Its like you read my mind You appear to know so much about this like you wrote the book in it or something I think that you can do with a few pics to drive the message home a little bit but other than that this is fantastic blog A great read Ill certainly be back

• Hi, Neat post. There is a problem along with your website in internet explorer, would test this텶E still is the market chief and a good section of other folks will pass over your magnificent writing due to this problem.

• I have been browsing online more than three hours today, yet I never found any interesting article like yours. It is pretty worth enough for me. In my view, if all website owners and bloggers made good content as you did, the internet will be a lot more useful than ever before.

• My brother suggested I might like this blog. He was totally right. This post actually made my day. You can not imagine simply how much time I had spent for this info! Thanks!

• Wow wonderful blog layout How long have you been blogging for you make blogging look easy The overall look of your site is great as well as the content

• I just could not depart your web site prior to suggesting that I really loved the usual info an individual supply in your visitors? Is gonna be back regularly to check up on new posts.

• Wow, wonderful blog layout! How long have you been blogging for? you make blogging look easy. The overall look of your site is great, as well as the content!

• Normally I do not read article on blogs, however I would like to say that this write-up very forced me to try and do so! Your writing style has been amazed me. Thanks, quite great post.

• Hi, Neat post. There’s an issue together with your web site in internet explorer, may test this텶E still is the marketplace chief and a good component of people will pass over your fantastic writing due to this problem.

• Very well presented. Every quote was awesome and thanks for sharing the content. Keep sharing and keep motivating others.

• you are in reality a just right webmaster The site loading velocity is incredible It seems that you are doing any unique trick In addition The contents are masterwork you have performed a wonderful task on this topic

• Hi Neat post Theres an issue together with your web site in internet explorer may test this IE still is the marketplace chief and a good component of people will pass over your fantastic writing due to this problem

• Thanks a bunch for your recent article. Your unique perspective and well-researched information made it a standout read. Looking forward to more from you!

• I loved as much as you will receive carried out right here The sketch is attractive your authored material stylish nonetheless you command get got an impatience over that you wish be delivering the following unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike

• It was great seeing how much work you put into it. Even though the design is nice and the writing is stylish, you seem to be having trouble with it. I think you should really try sending the next article. I’ll definitely be back for more of the same if you protect this hike.

• My brother recommended I might like this web site He was totally right This post actually made my day You cannt imagine just how much time I had spent for this information Thanks

• of course like your website but you have to check the spelling on several of your posts A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I in finding it very troublesome to inform the reality on the other hand I will certainly come back again

• Magnificent beat I would like to apprentice while you amend your site how can i subscribe for a blog web site The account helped me a acceptable deal I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

• I do trust all the ideas youve presented in your post They are really convincing and will definitely work Nonetheless the posts are too short for newbies May just you please lengthen them a bit from next time Thank you for the post