I joined The Argus via zoom at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic before my first year even started. I remember feeling so intimidated by how intelligent and funny everyone on the staff seemed, even from their little boxes on the Zoom screen. I had done journalism in high school and knew I wanted to continue it in college. This paper was one of my first points of contact with Wesleyan, but I had little idea at the time how much it would grow to shape the next three years of my life.

From that first day on Zoom, everyone was so kind and welcoming. I joined the news section and found myself with an instant community. From the start, I loved nothing more than chasing a scoop, highlighting voices around campus, and writing against the clock even when it sometimes felt impossible. Even when my articles came back from editors all marked up in red and with what felt like a million suggestions for improvement, I always seized the opportunity to learn and grow. 

To this day, the thrill of seeing my name printed in the byline has never truly worn off. The news section empowered me both as a reporter and a writer, and for that, I will be forever grateful. When I first became a news editor in my second semester at the University, I was able to pay back all the support my own news editors had given me when I was just starting out. Guiding people throughout the reporting, writing, and editing processes has become one of my greatest joys. I spent each week looking forward to Mondays and Thursdays, excited to go to the office, meet with writers, and edit with my news team. These joys only grew during my time as Editor-in-Chief.

I have dedicated my heart and soul to The Argus for six semesters and met some of the most amazing people I ever will have the fortune to call my friends. I have spent more hours than I can count in the office this semester, but all the late nights and last-minute computer glitches have all been worth it for the surge of pride I get every time I see the freshly printed edition of the paper around campus the next morning at Usdan or in Exley. I love hearing people talk about our newest articles or point out a picture to a friend. I don’t know if people realize how intense being on The Argus is—or how this same intensity is mirrored in the love that every member of the staff feels for the product we put out into the community twice a week. The sense of awe and gratitude I feel for this paper and this staff cannot be adequately expressed in words.

I will serve as an Executive Editor next year, but as I conclude my tenure as Editor-in-Chief, I can’t help but feel that the majority of my time on The Argus has come to a close. I write this with tears in my eyes and a smile on my face because I know that I would not be where I am today without this paper and the people on it. Although there have been moments this semester where being Editor-in-Chief has felt overwhelming, no matter how stressed or tired I am on a given day, going to the office, talking to editors, and reading the work that people have produced for our newest issue always gives me a zing of positive energy that sometimes I didn’t realize I needed. 

As I finish reflecting on my personal Argus journey, I must thank Hallie Sternberg ’23, who has been my role model, mentor, dear friend, and inspiration on this paper since my first semester. One of my Argus mottos has been “What would Hallie Sternberg do?” and it has never served me wrong. Concluding my time as Editor-in-Chief, I want to express once more how deeply proud I am of this paper and of the people who make it possible. Everyone who contributes to The Argus volunteers their time, their energy, and their ideas. This paper runs because of these people—without their dedication, there would be no Argus. And to the Wesleyan community, thank you for reading our work.

Most sincerely,

Rachel Wachman ’24