c/o Gemmarosa Ryan

c/o Gemmarosa Ryan

Beets and cabbage, I’d argue, are two of the vegetables that get the worst reputation. What to do with such bad-mouthed produce? How to transform a humble tuber and discount cauliflower into something magical you ask? Look no further. A versatile and punchy whipped feta spread is the answer to all your seasonal blues. Want it vegetarian? No problem, ditch the chicken and roast some white beans instead. 

Roasted Chicken and Cabbage with Beet Whipped Feta

Ingredients: 

Beet Feta Dip 

Versatile little concoction you will be happy to have plenty of leftovers with.  Dip some carrots, put on some toast or a warm sweet potato, or make into a creamy pasta, dare I say!

1 block feta

2 x 5 ounces container of cottage cheese, full fat

2 small roasted beets

3 tablespoons olive oil 

3 cloves garlic

Water (to thin/get your blender goin)

Juice of half a lemon

Roasted Cabbage and Chicken 

(Serves 2-3)

1 pound chicken thighs and drumsticks

1/2 medium sized green cabbage

1 red onion

3 tablespoons olive oil 

3 tablespoons Za’atar seasoning (or a mixture of garlic powder, cumin, and oregano)

Salt & Pepper

Honey 

Sunflower/Pumpkin Seeds (optional)

Instructions 

1. Heat oven to 425 degrees. 
  2. Make the Beet Feta Dip. Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender and add water if it needs help getting started (not too much or it will get too thin). 
  3. Cut and core the cabbage into four 1 1/2 inch slices.
  4. Cut red onion into similar quarter-like slices.
  5. Coat your veggies liberally in olive oil, za’atar, salt, and black pepper. The more oil the better (the cabbage needs that extra bit of fat if you want it extra crispy).
  6. Season the chicken in the same way, and place on a separate sheet pan. 
  7. Cook your cabbage and chicken for about 40 minutes, until the chicken is cooked through and the cabbage and onions are charred, crispy, and smell like the trip to Greece you want to take. 
  8. And if you are feeling fancy, drizzle on some honey and toasted sunflower seeds.

Gemmarosa Ryan can be reached at gryan@wesleyan.edu.