I am in a state of absolute bliss. Sure, there are books I have to read. Yeah, there are papers I have to write. But right now, none of that matters because I am in chocolate heaven.

The divine vehicle that has transported me to this alternate universe of gastronomic pleasure goes by the name of Molten Chocolate Mug Cake. In the throes of this cold and busy week, I decided to whip up the confection for myself as a premature culinary Valentine to warm my soul and ease my mind. As I devour it now, I can confidently say it has fully served this purpose.

The fabulous dessert is fit to fulfill any chocolate lover’s Valentines Day fantasies. Warm, fluffy, and chock-full of gooey cocoa goodness, it is the Mr./Ms. Steal Yo Girl/Boy of goodies, the kind of treat that says with each bite, “You’re amazing just the way you are.”

As if it wasn’t a perfect enough significant other, the confection requires absolutely no fuss. With its list of simple ingredients, the cake’s batter can be prepped in a matter of minutes. Even better, no oven is required. To finish the dish off, you only need to dole out the batter evenly into a couple of mugs and stick the mugs into a nearby microwave.

So, kick off this year’s Valentines Day festivities with some Molten Chocolate Mug Cake. Make it for him; for her; for hir; and, most importantly, for you. Whether you are single or Facebook official, this treat will surely round out your holiday with love, warmth, and chocolaty romance.

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 ounce bittersweet chocolate, chopped, plus 1 ounce broken into 4 equal pieces

1/4 cup sugar

2 large eggs

2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Directions:

1. Microwave butter and chopped chocolate in a large bowl until melted (about 1 minute). Whisk sugar, eggs, cocoa, vanilla, and salt into the mixture until smooth.

2. In a separate bowl, combine flour and baking powder. Whisk this mixture into the chocolate mixture until well combined. Divide resulting batter evenly between 2 11-ounce mugs.

3. Place mugs on opposite sides of the turntable and microwave at 50 percent power for 45 seconds. Stir and microwave again at 50 percent power for 45 seconds. At this point, the batter will rise to just below the rim of the mug.

4. Press 2 chocolate pieces into the center of each cake until they are hidden with the top of the cake. Microwave at 50 percent power one final time for 35 seconds. The finished product should be slightly wet around the edges of the mug and drier toward the center. Let the cakes rest for 2 minutes before serving. Garnish with Nutella, peanut butter, whipped cream, or any of your favorite toppings.