Most people primarily associate Super Bowl Sunday with football. If you’re like me, however, the first thing that comes to mind on the first Sunday of February is always food. While chips, salsa, and guacamole are great snacks, I can’t think of a better way to warm up on a cold February day than with a zesty bowl of soup.
Taking its flavor inspiration from chili, my mother’s recipe for tortilla soup is a lighter substitute for the American classic. With a prep time of only 15 minutes, it’s a quick and simple dish to cook up during halftime, game time, or commercial breaks (depending on which part of Super Bowl Sunday you find least interesting). Not only is it tasty and nearly effortless, but it’s also an affordable option for anyone on a student’s budget. Most of the ingredients are pre-packaged, making them readily available and easy to prepare and measure.
Though I prefer to prepare the soup with chicken broth, vegetable broth is a suitable alternative for those on vegan or vegetarian diets. Finishing touches can be added according to personal taste. A sprinkling of crushed tortilla chips gives the dish a saltier taste, and an additional squeeze of lime gives it acidity. While the chili powder already makes the dish mildly spicy, I like to add a few squirts of Sriracha sauce for an extra kick (football pun intended). Whichever way you fix it, this soup will always score points with a crowd.
Tortilla Soup (serves 6)
1. In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook 1 minute.
2. Add garlic, cumin, and chili powder; cook until fragrant for about 1 minute.
3. Add tomatoes (with juice), beans, broth, corn, and 1/2 cup water; season with salt and pepper.
4. Bring soup to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
5. Remove from heat and stir in lime juice; season with salt and pepper.
6. Crumble a handful of tortilla chips and sprinkle over each serving.
1 TBSP. OLIVE OIL
2 GARLIC CLOVES, MINCED
1 SMALL ONION, DICED
1 TSP. CHILI POWDER
1/2 TSP. CUMIN
2 CANS (14 1/2 OZ. EACH) DICED TOMATOES IN JUICE
2 CANS (15 OZ. EACH) BLACK BEANS, RINSED AND DRAINED
2 CANS (14 1/2 OZ. EACH) REDUCED-SODIUM CHICKEN OR VEGETABLE BROTH
1 PACKAGE (10 OZ.) FROZEN CORN KERNELS
SALT AND GROUND PEPPER TO TASTE
1 TBSP. FRESH LIME JUICE
CRUSHED TORTILLA CHIPS FOR GARNISH