WEDNESDAY

Financial Aid Office Drop-In Hours
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
North College, Second Floor, Office of Financial Aid

If you’re coming to Wes, congratulations! You’re about to start attending the fifth most expensive university in the country (according to CNN). But there’s a bright side: roughly half of all Wesleyan students get some form of financial aid for all four years. Come talk to financial aid officers about how you can protect your family from bankruptcy.

Wes in the World
3 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Office of Admission, McKelvey Room

Considering study abroad? Almost half of Wesleyan students spend a semester in another country. Director of The Office of International Studies Carolyn Sorkin will fill you in on how to fit the study abroad experience into your Wesleyan education. Recent students who have gone abroad will also be there to discuss lower drinking ages and other aspects of their life-changing experiences.

WesStuffed
4 p.m. to 7 p.m.
Exley Science Center, Room 184 (Woodhead Lounge)

If food is a make-or-break factor in your college decision process, you should definitely hit this event up. Wesleyan’s cafeterias are great—we were voted the most vegan-friendly campus last year, there’s tons of local food, the cooks and staffers are nice—and Middletown’s restaurants are pretty good, too.

WeSLAM
5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
200 Church St.

The members of Wesleyan’s slam poetry team just performed at CUPSI (College Unions Poetry Slam International), and now they’re ranked 13th in the country. They’re back on their home turf to show all you prefrosh and parents why. Get your soul stirred!

“Gimme Shelter”
8 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Center for Film Studies, Goldsmith Family Cinema

Aside from giving parents a preview of the nightlife they’ll be handing their kids over to, this screening is a great opportunity for visitors to take a look at the home of the Wesleyan film department (soon to be the College of Film and the Moving Image, oooh!) and the amazing Goldsmith Family Cinema. Film’s a huge part of campus culture here, so even if you consider studying movies to be a huge waste of money, be sure to check this one out.

THURSDAY

WILDWes
12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
Outside of WestCo

WILDWes (Working for Intelligent Landscape Design) is much more than a student group: it has a student forum (a class, for-credit, taught by students) and it has been changing the landscape of campus, one project at a time. Take a look at the newly re-landscaped WestCo courtyard and learn about one of the many activist groups on campus that does more than just talk: it gets things done.

Explore Middletown: Community Engagement Panel
4 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Usdan University Center, Room 110

Wesleyan may have a reputation for being somewhat of a bubble, but that doesn’t mean students aren’t involved in Middletown life. There are lots of ways to integrate your life on campus with your life as a temporary citizen of Middletown, from classes that incorporate a service/learning component to volunteer opportunities with student-run groups. Students at this panel will talk about the ways they are involved in the community, and give you ideas about things you could be doing as a student yourself!

Public Debate
4:15 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Public Affairs Center, Room 001

Join the Woodrow Wilson Debate Society in a public debate. This year’s topic: has the gay rights movement’s focus on marriage been helpful or harmful to its mission of equality? The debate will be conducted in American Parliamentary style and will offer audience members (that means you!) the opportunity to participate as well as to observe. Come sound off on a hot topic and hear what your potential future classmates have to say.

2013 Sturm Memorial Lecture: “Supernovae and the Discovery of the Accelerating Universe”
7:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.
CFA Hall

This yearly lecture always draws huge crowds, and features Johns Hopkins University Professor of Physics and Astronomy Adam Reiss, who will discuss dark energy and the acceleration of the universe’s expansion. In past years seating has filled up quickly, so come early to get a good seat!

Prometheus
10 p.m.
Base of Foss Hill

If you’ve ever wanted to see someone eat fire, now’s your chance: come see Prometheus, Wesleyan’s student-run fire spinning club. These performers practice all year, both with flame and without, and are fully prepared to give you a fire show like you’ve never seen before.

FRIDAY

Writing Program Mingle
10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
Allbritton Center, Room 311

Come learn about the various ways to get involved with writing on campus! From residential options like Writing House and Writing Hall to student groups such as literary magazines and newspapers, writing is everywhere at Wesleyan. The Argus will be there, so come say hi!

All-Campus Barbecue
11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Foss Hill

Enjoy the (partly) sunny weather and get a taste of Foss Hill and the Usdan grill section in one fell swoop. Though this may not be the warmest April we’ve ever had, hanging out on Foss is a staple of life at Wesleyan. Add a burger and brownies, and what could be better?

Economie Dance
12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
Fayerweather, Room 106

In this two-part workshop, Wesleyan’s student-run activist dance group will discuss dance as a mode of activism and run a movement experiment for all participants. Economie is a new group this year and has already organized several mini-flashmobs, all of which address some aspect of social justice. Come dance and help change the world!

The Rick Nicita Gallery Exhibit
12 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Rick Nicita Gallery, Center for Film Studies

The Wesleyan Cinema Archives has assembled an exhibit composed of behind-the-scenes material from “Beasts of the Southern Wild,” the Oscar-nominated film directed and produced largely by Wesleyan alumni. Attendees will learn more about the film and see what Wesleyan alumni are up to in the film world.