Coming off consecutive close losses versus top-ranked Springfield College, the wrestling team traveled to Williams on Feb. 10 to take on three other formidable New England foes. The main competition for the Cardinals on Sunday was host Williams, the fourth-ranked team in New England, as well as Western New England University and SUNY Oneonta. From the outset, the goal for the Cardinals was to get back on track with their winning ways entering the championship portion of the season. With three matches in a day, the team was sure to be tested mentally and physically. Despite the trials, the Cardinals walked away proudly at day’s end, having shown the rest of New England exactly why they are a force to be reckoned with in the region.

Wesleyan’s first match pitted the Cardinals against Oneonta, a team that had previously beaten Williams this season. The Cardinals were not fazed and completely disposed of their opponents with a score of 36-9. Up next for Wesleyan was Western New England University, a team with a losing record that also happened to be missing several starters due to sickness and injury. Facing little legitimate competition in their second match, the Cardinals blew out WNE with a 48-9 thrashing.

Finally, NESCAC and Little Three rivals Wesleyan and Williams squared off against each other at the end of a grueling quad-meet. The Cardinals had already taken care of the Ephs previously this season at the NEWA Duals, and Sunday fittingly ended with the same result. Wesleyan handled Williams comfortably, 34-12. The victory ensured a perfect 3-0 record on the day, a fifth consecutive winning record on the season, and confidence heading into the most crucial portion of the campaign.

On the day personal accolades were aplenty, with captains Howard Tobochnik ’13 (149 lb.) and Nick Scotto ’13 (141) again leading the charge. Tobochnik went 3-0 on the day with a pin against his Western New England opponent, stretching his record to 29-3 overall. Scotto was also undefeated, accumulating victories through forfeit, pin, and major decision. His record is up to 26-5 for the season.

Two other standouts of the day were James Hamilton ’16 (125) and Josh Roometua ’16 (197). Hamilton and Roometua, in addition to Chris Siracusa ’16 (133), represent the impact young blood has made on a talented veteran squad. On Sunday, Hamilton and Roometua combined for a 6-0 record with two pins apiece. Hamilton improves his overall record on the season to 20-11, while Roometua sits even prettier at 20-9.

“[The freshmen] have contributed significantly to the starting line-up,” Tobochnik said after last week’s match.

From youth to experience, the seasoned presence of Jefferson Ajayi ’13 (184) again proved to be more than his opponents could handle. Ajayi, keeping up with the pace his teammates had set, chalked up a 3-0 record on the day as well. The big man recorded two monstrous pins, as well as a 12-0 decision over his third opponent. His record now stands at 27-4, matching Kyle Roosa ’13 for second-best on the squad.

The Cardinals now have their sights set on next Saturday, Feb. 16 when they will host SUNY Oswego for the season’s final dual match before championship meets begin. Wesleyan is looking to improve its duals record to 15-7. Most importantly, the team hopes to round into shape at just the right time, with a chance lying just on the horizon to repeat as New England champs.