The Wesleyan women’s tennis team rode a four-match winning streak into this past weekend’s tilt against Smith College. The four victories that preceded the match all came on the road, but Wes returned to home action with a convincing 8-1 triumph over Smith.

Senior co-captain Sarah Miller continued her torrid stretch, dominating in her final home match by a count of 6-0, 6-0. She also teamed up with Grace Smith ’14 at #1 doubles, cruising to an 8-4 victory. The pair of wins gives Miller ten wins in the five-match winning streak, the maximum possible for a singles player. Also winning in straight sets in singles action were Genevieve Aniello ’13, Kiley Robbins ’14, Lauren Jacobs ’15, and co-captain Hannah Berkman ’12 at #2, #3, #4, and #6 singles, respectively. Nicki Softness ’14 scored a three-set comeback win at #5 singles to secure the singles sweep for the Cardinals, winning 3-6, 6-3, (10-6).

Madison Hartley ’15 and Jacobs, who usually team up at #3 doubles, ascended to #2 doubles against Smith and easily prevailed, taking their match 8-1. Ana Alvarado ’12 and Kaitlyn Clark ’14 fell at #3 doubles in a hard-fought, 8-6 defeat.

About Drew Hudson

Drew Hudson grew up in the heart of basketball country, Charlotte, North Carolina. He is a huge basketball and football fan, but also loves golf, tennis, and the occasional baseball or hockey game. Drew also loves poetry, Cocoa Puffs, walks on the beach, rap music, and reading a good book in his Snuggie. His sports idols are Tyler Hansbrough, Steve Smith, Sean May, Baron Davis, and Julius Peppers. Drew one day hopes to write for the sports section of a major newspaper or sports network.