If you have ever been warmed by a fireball at a Prometheus show, applauded a Second Stage show, visited Alpha Delt’s grotto, or even toured the Wesleyan campus, there’s a good chance you’ve seen Blair Laurie ’12. While the senior film major spends much of her time doing the aforementioned activities, she’s taken a few minutes to sit down with The Argus and talk about fire, theater, and tomato bisque.

Argus: What makes you a WesCeleb?
Blair Laurie: Probably my involvement in Second Stage. Also, Prometheus, which is a very visible group. When you’re in Prometheus, people are always coming up to you and going, “Oh I saw that thing you did with that…thing! How did you not die?” In general, I think Wesleyan students tend to be involved in a lot; I feel like everyone could be a WesCeleb.

A: How did you get into Prometheus? Spinning fire isn’t really something most people grow up doing.
BL: Prometheus is actually one of the reasons I came to Wesleyan. I’m also a tour guide and work in the admissions office, so I hear stories where people say, “Prometheus is totally one of the reasons why I came to Wesleyan!” During WesFest we always have a show. You see people at this campus spinning fire. And you can imagine the prefrosh thinking, “If they let them do that, what is this school not going to let you do?” I got into it at the end of my sophomore year—a lot of friends were in Prometheus, and I had intended to join the entire time I’d been here. I asked if I could try and they actually let me try spinning fire. It was such a rush that I totally fell in love with it. That summer I went to Wildfire, a fire spinning retreat in Ashford, Connecticut that happens every summer. It was different classes on different techniques, and I got really involved with it after that.

A: What do you think about when you’re spinning fire?
BL: I really don’t think. I believe that’s part of the reason I love it so much. It’s this huge rush to have the fire in front of you. I’m a little bit of pyromaniac and so I just like moving with it.

A: You’re also involved in Second Stage?
BL: This year I’m in charge of Rights and Royalties, which involves talking to the shows that need to get rights. I’m also the Safety Administrator for Second Stage, which is kind of a joke position, but I’m taking it very seriously. I’m the go-to for safety questions now. For Julius Caesar, they have a lot of fake weapons—fake guns, fake knives. So I had to double check the weapons and make sure they’re safe. It’s a position that goes to the former Managing Liaison, which I did last year. It’s my “retirement position” from Managing Liaison.

A: Did you get involved in your freshman year?
BL: I joined Second Stage my second semester of freshman year. I definitely didn’t want to do it that semester, but I was told by one of the members that if I apply now, at least staff will know who you are, so when you apply in the future, you’ll be more likely to get on staff. But then they let me on staff, and I thought “Oh, I guess I should do it now.” It’s been a big part of my life here. I’m in love with making theater happen. There are a lot of people who aren’t English majors writing plays, and people who are not theater majors but are directing or acting; that’s really why I love Second Stage. It gives everyone an opportunity to showcase those talents outside of what they’ve decided to major in.

A: What’s been your favorite part of it?
BL: I really love the group—there are 12 of us right now. It’s a tight-knit community. Also, the nature of Second Stage is that we don’t reject applications ever. I’ll put in a plug: show applications are due November 30 if you’re interested in doing a show next semester! We’re as hands-on or as hands-off as the director wants. We don’t have creative input in the shows. It’s more just helping the director bring their creative vision to light.

A: What have you done with Second Stage beyond producing?
BL: I directed Sweeney Todd and Rent last semester. Rent was the most stressful time I’ve ever had working on a show, but it was also the most enjoyable. Possibly my best night at Wesleyan was the opening of Rent. We were outside on the fire escape of South College. There were 200 something people who came to see it. During “Seasons of Love,” the audience was singing along. It was a great shared moment.

A: What advice would you give to someone who wants to direct?
BL: You’ll go crazy. There will be the point when you want to quit, without fail. As long as you get through that point, then you’ll realize the show is great and you’re really glad you got through it.

A: You’re also a member of Alpha Delt. I feel as though people group Second Stage, Alpha Delt, and Prometheus together a lot. How do all of those connect for you?
BL: Second Stage came first. The way that Alpha Delt happened for me was a complete shock. I did know a lot of people who were in Second Stage but also part of Alpha Delt. When I was handed my bid to pledge, I almost handed it back, because I was thinking this wasn’t anything I thought I’d ever do. But I did it anyway, and went through the pledging process, and I liked what I saw. I realized that all my preconceived notions of what a Greek society meant were wrong, at least in this case.

A: What about student misconceptions about Prometheus?
BL: I think the biggest misconception is that people think it’s really hard and it’s not. I started with fire hoop this summer and that’s probably the scariest thing I’ve done, because it’s so hot and you’re surrounded by fire. For things like staff and poi [tethered weights], it’s scary at first, but it’s something you can definitely do. There are members of Prometheus who are completely terrified of fire.

A: What about Alpha Delt?
BL: That we’re all nerdy and geeky and kind of the weird kids. In a lot of ways, we totally are. There are people who epitomize that. But it’s just like kids from Williams might group Wesleyan together in a certain way. There’s so much diversity within Alpha Delt.

A: What’s it like to live there as a senior?
BL: I love it. I have one of the best rooms in the house. I have a queen size bed and three windows.

A: Most important question of the interview: What do you recommend at Star & Crescent?
BL: I’m a big fan of the tomato bisque and grilled cheese. They do so well with that meal. It completely sells out every time.

A: What are the weirder questions you get as a tour guide?
BL: There’s always the occasional question about the naked dorm. It’s usually parents too, which is the really awkward thing. Usually, it’s a dad who thinks he’s being funny and he’s asking. You have to just say it’s not really a naked dorm. There was one phone call we got in the Admissions office once from a mom who was concerned that everyone at Wesleyan was gay, because her daughter was interested in coming here and was worried about the dating scene.

A: You’re a film studies major. How does that compare with your involvement in theater?
BL: There’s not a sharp divide between film and theater in my life. There are different techniques, the lighting is different, but the things I’ve learned working backstage, I’ve definitely applied to film shoots, and vice versa.

A: What part of filmmaking interests you?
BL: I’m much more interested in producing film than in directing or writing. I’m producing Adrian Rothschild’s senior film thesis, which is a musical. It’s an homage to musical theater and it’s going to be really awesome and full of glitter.

A: Lastly, if you were any kind of animal what would you be?
BL: A sloth. Not that I’m super lazy, but I think sloths have the right idea. They move so slowly and get to pay attention to the little details. In my life, I’m always rushing from one thing to the next. My days are going to class at 9 in the morning and I’m in class or meetings or whatever until 10 or 11 in the evening. It’d be nice sometimes to slow down.