Power was returned to the entirety of Wesleyan’s campus as of Friday at 8 p.m., following the winter storm over Halloween weekend that caused unprecedented damage and blackouts. According to Physical Plant Associate Director of Utilities Peter Staye, some parts of central campus received electricity on Monday, Oct. 31 and were joined by other buildings throughout the week, while many students’ residences remained without power until Friday.

Director of Residential Life Fran Koerting said she received an email from Physical Plant on Monday morning confirming that all University residences had regained power.

“Power has returned and everything is up and running as usual on campus,” she said.

According to Staye, the return of campus electricity occurred in stages and was completed with the full restoration of power to Washington Street on Friday night.

This comes as a relief to many students whose residences remained without light or heat late into last week. Most of the delays were faced by those living in woodframe and program houses, which regained electricity on either Thursday or Friday, five or six days after the storm.

Eric Stephen ’13, Sign Language House Manager, said he was happy to have power back but that the delay was reasonable given the severity of the situation.

“A natural disaster happened,” he said. “It took the state and the University a while to respond, but that’s completely understandable.”

Director of Public Safety Dave Meyer also expressed satisfaction with the University and the power company’s handling of the crisis.

“When you look at the magnitude of the damage in the state, we’re pretty lucky nobody here got hurt,” he said. “Within 48 hours we had partial operations going on the majority of campus, so we did well.”

According to the Associated Press, as of Monday morning, over 50,000 people throughout Connecticut still remain without electricity. The blackout continues despite announcements by Connecticut Light & Power of their goal to restore power to 99 percent of their 1.2 million customers by midnight Sunday.

“You can plan and prepare for these things but when they come, they come,” Meyer said. “We reacted the best that we could. We had great support all the way around.”