Editors’ Note: The Argus editorial staff would like to apologize for the publication of the opinion piece titled “Wesleyan v. Wellesley: ‘Rather Dead than Coed?’” on Tuesday, Oct. 11. We failed to uphold our duty to ensure that articles, op-eds or otherwise, do not unfairly target individuals or groups. Many of the author’s assertions in this piece were unfounded, and we apologize to those who were hurt or offended by them.

The article has been taken down from the Argus website and replaced by a statement from the author.

Author response posted 10/19 2:05 p.m.

Dear Readers,

I would first like to say that, like any opinion piece published in The Argus, “Wesleyan v. Wellesley: ‘Rather Dead than Coed?’” does not reflect the views of the general student body at Wesleyan or the newspaper’s staff. I apologize to the University for causing unnecessary animosity between liberal arts institutions.

I sincerely regret the generalizations I made in this piece and apologize to students and alumni of women’s colleges who do not share these experiences. My intention for the article was to showcase some of the stereotypes I encountered as a student during my first two years at Bryn Mawr and to explain why a women’s college was not right for me.

Additionally, Wellesley is mentioned in the title of the article because the two schools are often confused with each other due to their similarity in nomenclature. However, I did not intend to extend this comparison to the broader experiences of attending a single-sex and co-ed education.  I did not aim to incite a debate over which school is “better,” nor did I intend to attack any specific institution.

While I should not have generalized beyond my own experiences, these assertions were based on incidents that I witnessed during my time at Bryn Mawr.

The bigger issue for me was how men viewed Bryn Mawr women as a result of our single-sex experience. What initially appeared to be quirks that were not necessarily representative of the majority of Bryn Mawr students nevertheless become a starting point for Haverford and Swarthmore students to ridicule us.  We were looked down upon for our lower liberal arts college ranking and mocked for wanting to study at their institutions.  At Bryn Mawr, my fellow hallmates were harangued by a female Swarthmore student at a party (“You don’t go here, do you? Oh, let me guess—Bryn Mawr!”).  I was told by another male student that he intended to take a class at Bryn Mawr “because it was an easy A.”  It was through degrading experiences like these that were imposed on Bryn Mawr as a result of reinforced stereotypes that I came to believe the self-segregation of women’s colleges had backfired.

The majority of commenters on this article are alumni and students and women’s colleges who adamantly assert that no such incidents occur at their institutions. Perhaps I was one of an unfortunate few at Bryn Mawr to witness events like this on a regular basis. However, many of my classmates at the time told me they also felt marginalized by the experience of attending an all-girls school, and I know many who transferred as well.

I do not dispute anyone’s satisfaction or happiness with her single-sex college experience. If my description contradicts your women’s college experience, I can only say I am envious.  I intended to highlight a side of the women’s college experience that is less often portrayed. These negative stereotypes do exist and continue to be perpetuated and  I condemn them as much as any commenter.

I came to Wesleyan because it was a good fit for me.  I remain confident that I would have received a similarly exceptional education had I graduated from Bryn Mawr; the only change is that I am finally satisfied with my college experience.

I am glad this issue has brought about a public discussion, and have learned a lot from this experience as well. Again, I apologize for the generalizations made in my original piece, but I continue to stand by my opinion about same-sex education and invite readers to critique my arguments, not my personal character.

• What Is This

This article is ridiculous. I could go on forever, but I’m just going to say this: I’m hoping to go to Wellesley, and not because it’s an all-women’s college. In SPITE of it, actually. Wellesley has its unique traits other than just being a woman’s college. Seriously, grow up.

• I Can’t Even

Very true. The ability to look beyond the sex ratio of a school and into its essential character is extremely important, and it saddens me that this author was unable to do it even while immersed in everything her school had to offer. It was not the right place for her and I’m glad she found somewhere that worked, but I wish she hadn’t gone on to further solidify the single-sex label that so few seem to get past.

A side note to the commenter above: As someone who chose Bryn Mawr for the same reason (for its unique qualities, in spite of its single-sex environment) I truly wish you luck. Even though I knew what I was getting into, it’s been tough finding the right social balance, especially given the unwarranted stereotypes that even the schools in our illustrious consortium tend to hold about women’s colleges. But Bryn Mawr has been an amazing, amazing environment for me, as I’m sure Wellesley will be for you. Best of luck =)

• Trollface

Psh, tampons? You mean bloody DivaCups, amirite?

• Wesleyan Student

All I ask is that you don’t judge Wesleyan based upon how terrible this article is, but that you judge the person who wrote it. Thanks

• Proud BMC sister

Trust me, no one is judging Wesleyan…that would be rude, right Ms. Chu??? As a BMC student I must say I have friends at Wesleyan and they are great..unfortunately Ms. Chu does not uphold the same character as the others attending that school.

• wesleyan 14

On behalf of all Wesleyan students, I would like to distance myself from this article.

• Wes 2014

Yes, Vicky did make some overarching generalizations that fit the stereotype of women’s colleges in an unflattering manner. However, I think she is raising an interesting point as to the value of the only-women colleges’ place in society. Yes, Wellesley DOES graduate more people who go on to become extremely rich. However, I would argue that that is partially due to Wesleyan students (I am aware that I am also making a generalization right now) being more drawn to non-for-profits and other less profitable professions. I am not so sure I would credit the genders of the respective colleges to being the deciding factor of the graduate’s success, and I definitely would not define their success in terms of the money they make or the fame they’ve acquired. The colleges have two completely different educations and environments which attract totally different students. People who want to be CEO’s would be more likely to attend Wellesley. It’s natural for the author to prefer her current environment to that of an all women’s college. It would also be just as natural for people from Wellesley to prefer their environment to that of a coed college.

• Lala

If Wesleyan students make less on average (and I should add here that I don’t think this factor is indicative necessarily of a school’s quality), it’s not because they are more attracted to non-profit work than Wellesley students. Many students here go into low-paying non-profit or government work. The ‘Wellesley graduates mostly CEOs and MBAs and JDs’ thing just isn’t that true.

If by ‘the genders of the respective colleges’ you mean the qualities of being single-sex or coeducational, I would give that some credit, but Wellesley is not the college it is simply because it is single-sex. It has more to do with an outstanding faculty, a highly motivated student body, an exceptionally loyal alumnae network and a relatively large endowment.

As a Wellesley student, I just don’t understand why people who have never and will never attend a single-sex college feel the need to question the value of my institution. Is it detracting from the value of yours? No. That’s silly. I am a student here, and I value my experiences. That is really all that matters.

And as far as the colleges attracting different types of students…the only generalization about Wellesley students I have ever been able to make with any confidence is that we’re all genuinely interested in learning and growing intellectually. That’s really where our similarities end. We are not all or even most future-CEO-types.

• KB

Clearly this article has been torn to shreds already, and one more comment seems superfluous, but nestled in what amounts to a heap of gross generalizations and harmful assertions there lies one gem which I would like to address, so here goes.

“The first step is not to whine about these inequalities, but to deal directly with the men who impose them upon us.”

Creating and supporting institutions run by and designed for women is not a form of “whining about” or trying to ignore inequalities, it’s about creating a space where many people can be empowered and enabled so that they may better address said issues both in and outside of that space. If you truly think that women who choose to attend a women’s college are unwilling to “deal directly with [those] who impose them [inequalities] upon us,” I might direct your attention to the length of this comments section, because I do believe that many of the assertions you have made here are detrimental and promote inequality. Anyone who is actually interested in thinking carefully about the ideas behind women’s institutions might enjoy this (http://www.feminist-reprise.org/docs/fryesep.htm) piece by Marilyn Frye.

Having spent time at both Bowdoin and Wellesley (and loving both schools), I certainly believe that there are many merits in both coed and single sex educational environments, and both are important in society today. I’d also like to point out that I’m acquainted with amazing people who attend or attended Wesleyan and from what I know it’s a great school with a wonderful community, and I hope that my Wellesley sisters might remember that and direct criticism towards the author of the article and those responsible for its publication, not Wesleyan as a whole.

-KB

• Shamed Wesleyan Alum

Dear goodness, I must agree with Disappointed Wesleyan alum. I am a very old proud Wesleyan alum, and I went online when my college friend frantically told me about this mess.
    Firstly, Wellesley ladies, I apologize on behalf of the reasonable Wesleyans left that this article was ever published. Mature collegiates do not pull this sort of stunt.
    I was a biology major back in the day, and I can’t even begin to tell you how wrong this article and other opponents of same-sex education are.
    I’m not going to preach here, but I just want to let Ms. Chu and others know that unless they practice and study single sex education as a field of study, they don’t even know half the story. Honey don’t go there.
    I am still appalled that this happened, and I hope not all Wesleyans have this mindset.

• wes girl 2014

I hope that just because the author made some awful generalizations about Wellesley and all-girls’ schools doesn’t mean that Wellesley students and others will make generalizations based on this article about Wesleyan students.

I understand the outrage of many people (especially Wellesley and Bryn Mawr students and alum for being called out on this article), and everyone has a right to their opinion but I don’t see how people can suppose that this one student speaks for the rest of us.

It is great that people have the opportunity to find a college that fits them, but that is a unique and personal decision and just because one school did not work out for you does not mean you have the authority to diss everything about it. I still love Wes, but the author would not be on the top of my list of people to make friends with.

• BMC ’14

I’m a Bryn Mawr student whose best friend is a Wesleyan student, and I entirely agree with your post. I don’t think the vast majority of these comments are directed at Wesleyan as an institution (except perhaps at the Argus for letting this be published, which is another issue entirely), and I hope you don’t feel that they are meant as such. Perhaps Ms. Chu made a poor decision in posting this article, which seems amateurish and mean-spirited, on the internet, and thus exposing herself to the responses of Wellesley and Bryn Mawr students and alumnae.

(I personally visited Wesleyan during my college search and enjoyed my experience there.)

• wes girl 2014

I’m glad to get such a reasonable reply! And I completely agree that most of these comments are not directed as Wes, but I always worry that an awful piece like this can light a fuse for an unnecessary fire. It is a shame that this is the only thing many people will associate with Wesleyan and any of us related to it.

• ELee

The traits (of character and otherwise) displayed by Ms. Chu in her article suggest she might have a difficult time in any environment, co-ed or otherwise. Perhaps with age may come some wisdom.

• Bryn Mawr ’13

First off, I would like to congratulate you on finding a school that works for you. Obviously Bryn Mawr wasn’t the right fit for you.

As a student at a women’s college, I constantly have to validate my college decision to people who have the exact same attitude as you. While it simply sucks that I have to do that, I’m fine with doing it because I know the experience, education, and sense of self that I have gained here surpass anything that I personally would have gained anywhere else. I don’t judge you based on your college experience, so don’t judge mine.

Bryn Mawr has taught me so much more than what I learn in the classroom. My experience here has gone beyond academics on so many levels. There is a spirit about this place, the people, the faculty that has helped me prosper. That is what makes this institution. Its what makes any women’s college, and what truly makes us an independent institution.

Your perspective is disheartening and disappointing on so many levels. This attitude is precisely why we still need women’s colleges.

• wellesley15student

To all those who go to Wesleyan- fret not, we are not using this one article to make generalizations about the rest of the student body at your school.

Vicky Chu, I feel sorry for you and the fact that you had to write an article and publish it in the name of self validation. Good job embarrassing yourself to the rest of the world, and may this article follow you around for the rest of your life… Because it will ;)

• Made your own bed

TRUTH. Seven Sisters alum are everywhere. Everywhere. Vicky has pissed off an enormous community and demonstrated her narrow-mind and immaturity. This is certainly follow her.

• Non-whiner

It sounds like the author had problems at Bryn Mawr.

Also, as a Wellesley woman, I am proud to say that I:
    1) Never leave tampons on the floor
    2) Wear “oversized sweatpants” to class only occasionally
    3) Never “whine” about inequalities
    4) Never EVER bash other schools

It would be easy for a Wellesley student to write about problems they have being confused with Wesleyan; turns out, confusion works both ways. However, Wellesley woman have chosen instead to show their pride in their school rather than diss on another based on strange presumptions.

Ew. I still can’t get over tampons on the floor. Never.

• Bryn Mawr ’10

Neither can we. That’s disgusting! (And it’s something I didn’t see once in four years at Bryn Mawr.)

• Wellesley Woman

Are there any Bryn Mawr sisters that are outraged? I think they should be.

• WellsAlum07

As a woman who transferred FROM a coed school TO Wellesley, I completely disagree with this article. I never even realized how unsupported and dis-empowered I was in the coed environment before I attended Wellesley. This article is extremely shallow and, as a woman who was the SPORTS EDITOR at my coed institution and extremely dedicated to journalism, I am “offended” that this article made it to print.

• Ia Ia Ia

I’m another woman who transferred from a coed school to Bryn Mawr and I’m right there with you. My experiences in coed vs. single-sex environments were polar opposites and I would choose BMC again any day of the week. Not only were the classes more suited to my academic interests and needs, the community was more inviting and far more enriching than that of my previous college.

As a BMC alumna now working in the “real world” all I can say is that I feel my ‘abnormal’ education prepared me for life in ways that a coed school never could.

• M Carey Thomas

I, too, transferred to BMC from a co-ed college.
        Miss Chu’s comments are disheartening and upsetting.
        I chose to come to Bryn Mawr because I was serious about academics and because I wanted to be in a community that embraced knowledge, diversity, and sisterhood. Period.
        Miss Chu, if you were not happy at Bryn Mawr that’s fine, but don’t put down such formidable institutions such as Bryn Mawr and Wellesley simply because you like Wesleyan more.

• MYX (Wellesley ’14)

A girl who attends Wesleyan comments about being tired of having Wesleyan confused with Wellesley, and decides to bash Wellesley College and women’s colleges in general. As a Wellesley woman, I definitely have a few things to say about her arguments.

She says, “…going to a women’s college means sitting in a classroom with women in oversized sweatpants.” Correction: Wellesley is one of the best dressed campus! Have you not seen all the girls with the Longchamp Totes?

She goes on with more stereotypes about women’s colleges and claims them to “not be normal.” Hello, just because you didn’t have a good experience at Bryn Mawr, another women’s college, don’t lump them all. Furthermore, you only went to a women’s college for a year, calm down. You don’t know everything! And you definitely don’t know everything about every women’s college.

I seriously couldn’t believe it when she said, “women’s colleges could not seem to function independently of coeducation institutions.” Oh really? Really? No she didn’t! Women’s colleges function just fine without coed schools. I, as well as other students at women’s colleges (I assume) appreciate the chance to learn in an environment outside of the college for a different experience. But how is that any different than a coed school having a consortium with other coed schools and study abroad programs? It’s another outlet to learn in a different environment, atmosphere and widen one’s perspective. So get it right!

Furthermore, she asks, “Would it be true? Would I be unable to speak up in class? Would I be unable to function normally because I was distracted by the influx of testosterone?” trying to disprove the fact that “graduates of women’s colleges perform better in their careers compared to women who graduate from coed schools.” She is missing the point entirely. Women’s colleges are not claiming that women are not able to speak up in class and function normally with the presence of men. NOT AT ALL! Women’s colleges do not claim that women cannot accomplish this by going to co-ed schools, just merely that women’s colleges help build women’s confidence and self-esteem so that once women get out into the “real world” that is dominated by men, we are able to speak up and confidently have our voices heard.

She states that women who attend women’s colleges claim “We’d rather be dead than coed!” NO, that is not true. I would not rather die than have men in my classes and on my campus. She also says, “A single-sex, isolated bubble of women contradicts what [a women’s college] sets out to do,” but that is far from the truth. Women’s colleges make sure not to isolate their students… That’s why they have a consortium with co-ed schools and offer study abroad programs, to widen the students’ perspective, and this is in despite of her earlier criticism of these very programs. She claims to have seen, “…women reinforcing negative stereotypes by demeaning themselves in order to gain validation from coed students” as a final attempt to convince us that women’s colleges are actually bad and backwards. But what she doesn’t realize is that some women reinforce negative stereotypes everywhere. Not just at women’s colleges. She adds, “All women…must seek to empower themselves by challenging gender inequities.” THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT WE ARE DOING AT WOMEN’S COLLEGES!

She argues that, “The first step is not to whine about these inequalities, but to deal directly with the men who impose them upon us.” Correction: The first step is to realize that these inequalities exist, and to challenge them by analyzing society and the world around us. By talking about it and discussing solutions, building confidence, and empowering women to take action. This is what women’s colleges do! She seems to think that women’s colleges ignore men, but that is not true. We have male professors and staff. We have many opportunities to discuss issues relating to gender equality in both classroom and “outside the classroom” settings.

Wellesley, and other Women’s colleges hold a special place in our society. That is the point. They allow women like myself to grow and develop into “women who will change the world.” They specifically focus on educating “women who will change the world” and I would not trade going to Wellesley for anything. If you don’t want to attend a women’s college, fine by me. But don’t try to bring women’s colleges down nor try to deny a woman who isn’t afraid to declare herself a feminist and who wants to become a “woman who will change the world,” like myself, the opportunity to go to a women’s college.

• brynmawrgal

I feel like it is my social responsibility as a woman and a Bryn Mawr alum to point out that your poor decisions while attending Bryn Mawr need not reflect the general experience of being in an all Women’s college.
    In the future, please refrain from making such generalizations because it reflects badly on institutions you represent – whether it is Bryn Mawr or Wesleyan.

Vicky,

If I remember correctly, you spent most of your time as a student at Bryn Mawr off campus at one of the coed schools that you claim Bryn Mawr so desperately “depends on for survival”…. so I don’t really think you have any right to speak condescendingly in reference to our student body or about any Bryn Mawr student wishing to take advantage of opportunities to expand her friendship and academic circles at other schools. I think the ignorant, sweeping generalizations you made in this article only illuminate your close-mindedness and provide an excellent explanation for why you didn’t fit in here. After reading this article I can’t exactly say we miss you… so I guess I’ll just say this instead: DEATH TO THE PATRIARCHY.

Oh yea…. and Anassa-fucking-kata! BLOODY TAMPONSSS WOOO

• Bryn Mawr 12

I don’t have time to write a crazy intellectual comment, so I will come to you with a more personal form of writing. Every person has their own personal experiences, good or bad, with college and I’m wondering who gave you permission to speak for all of us. As a current senior at Bryn Mawr, I’m proud to say that I survived four years in an all-women’s environment. It definitely takes a lot and certainly provides you with a new appreciation for things that are lacking. I can’t say I’ve ever “glared” at a male in any of my classes. In many cases, I’m actually pretty excited at first, but then over time I actually kind of stop noticing them. Maybe you’re mistaking those “glares” for crushes?

AND you’re bashing us because some of us like to wear sweatpants to class? I’m so sorry that I don’t have time to throw on make up and look like a runway model after reading 120 pages and writing a 20 page paper for three nights in a row to please you, is fashion what you value in an education? And the tampon accusation? Wow. I’ve never seen a used tampon thrown anywhere. In fact, the bathrooms in the dorm I live in are pretty spotless if you ask me. Where did you live?!

I look around this campus and I can say that I’ve seen women grow and while I don’t know them personally (only meeting them a few times around campus over the course of four years), I can tell that a lot of these women have transformed in ways that actually make them seem happier, whether it’s being able to express themselves more openly or being able to open up socially, so while you may not enjoy being surrounded by supportive women who allow you to be who you truly are, there are PLENTY of women here who do. I’m sorry that your experience here at Bryn Mawr wasn’t all that amazing, but you’re going to have ups and downs at any college you attend. I’m not always happy at Bryn Mawr and I doubt there are people at Wesleyan who are always happy. Times get hard, you get sick of being in the same place for a long period of time, you don’t feel like working your brain any longer, that’s college. That’s life. And if you don’t know how to adapt or even look at the brighter side of things, you won’t go very far in life.

I don’t know anything about Wellesley or Wesleyan (aside from the high school visits five years ago) so I can’t and I won’t comment on the differences and similarities between the three schools, but I am sure there are some. If you didn’t like Bryn Mawr, that’s fine, but please do not throw us under the bus with your generalizations.

• BMC 14

I’m a Bryn Mawr student as well and your comments about the social life represent nothing I’ve experienced thus far. It did succeed, however, to cover every stereotype and ignorant assumption made by those who have never stepped foot on our campus. I’ve never encountered a bloody tampon on the floor, or “screaming feminist.” Nor do I have any idea what you’re referring in your the comment about student/teacher relationships. I’m not sure if you were exaggerating to make a point, but to try to pass off these stereotypes as characteristic of the entire Bryn Mawr community or women’s colleges in general to back up your claim is offensive. It’s the reason we need places like these.

I feel the need to stand up here because Bryn Mawr women tend to be more reticent in protecting their school. However, my friends and the majority of women I’ve spoken to love it here. As for myself, Bryn Mawr has exposed me to a much larger variety of women than at any prior school I’ve attended. Unlike your article claims, I haven’t found that there’s a typical “Bryn Mawr student.” Each has her own identity. The women here, as well as the ones I’ve met at other women’s colleges, have been some of the most intelligent, self-assured, and interesting that I’ve ever met. I feel honored to be amongst them.

I’m sorry you had such a poor experience here. But please don’t chalk up your own experiences as the “Women’s College Experience.”

As for myself, I’ve had no regrets.

• BMC 12

In reference to your argument about “glaring at sports teams” while they eat in our dining halls, I would like to say that we honestly don’t mind when Haverford students eat at our dining halls. It kind of creates a co-ed feeling honestly. But on the flip side, we also have this complex because Haverford students have a tendency to make disparaging comments about Bryn Mawr students to each other, incoming freshmen and even to Bryn Mawr students. So, in some ways they have this “we talk bad about you, but we’re going to eat your food” -type of aura about them. Not all Haverford students are this way, but as a Bryn Mawr student, knowing this, we do get somewhat frustrated because stereotypes are constantly placed on us and all we can really do is grit our teeth and bear it because there’s no real way to disprove them inside of our “bubble.” And in the end, you’re only adding to the stereotypes that we already have to deal with, so thanks for that.

• Athene

“It really isn’t normal.”

This statement shows, basically, why you didn’t understand or enjoy Bryn Mawr, and is a testament to your own narrow-mindedness. ‘Normal’ for who – for you? You do not carry the responsibility or the privilege to decide what every individual at Bryn Mawr or Wellesley or, even, the students of Wesleyan see as ‘normal’. Apart from the fact that your generalizations about Bryn Mawr misrepresent the community and our attitudes, your playing off Bryn Mawr and women’s colleges as some kind of aberration that isn’t “normal” is embarrassing for you.

• BMC’12

Your attempts to conceal poor writing skills with tactless ‘shock’ value (i.e. your charming anecdotes about illicit student/staff relationships and decorative, drenched tampons) are not only fictitious and damaging; they are also cringe-worthy and creepy.

As a proud, hygienic, semi-stylish Bryn Mawr woman with a future in the ‘real world’ to attend to, I bid you adieu and wish you the best of luck in any and all self-destructive articles in which you choose to lend your name to.

Lastly, don’t think that we who knew you when you were a Mawryter way back when have forgotten your indulgence in said “unmentionable” activities with the members of “aforementioned sports teams.” A good memory just happens to be one of the unlimited beneficial attributes commonly found in us BMC ladies.

ANASSA KATA

• Iasplund

Woah woah woah, no need to slut-shame!

But I do agree with your other assertions. BMC for life.

• BMC

“Lastly, don’t think that we who knew you when you were a Mawryter way back when have forgotten your indulgence in said “unmentionable” activities with the members of “aforementioned sports teams.” A good memory just happens to be one of the unlimited beneficial attributes commonly found in us BMC ladies.”

Someone had to say it…

• SBC

Just wanted to add my thanks for all of the comments expertly dissecting this unfortunate piece. I’m an alumna of Sweet Briar College, and I am, as usual, so impressed by the classiness and intelligence (and wit!) displayed by other all-women alums. Thank you for defending our educations. This article is truly disheartening.

• CS

From reading the comments from Wellesley Nation, I’m beginning to think that Vicky Chu’s piece may be a brilliant piece of “journalism” in the league of John Stewart or Steven Colbert. Whether intended or not, Chu’s personal reflection on her experience apparently is so threatening to that it has smoked out the vindictiveness, elitism, and arrogance that characterizes the worst stereotypes of Wellesley (and many other women’s college) grads. So far in these comments, I’ve seen threats of blackballing Chu in future jobs, references to the status of Wellesley alums as CEOs and power brokers, and much more. Really ladies? Is this our best? It is tempting for a reader to conclude: stereotype proven. The evidence? 100 posts and counting from Wellesley students and grads. Maybe you believe that the measure of how far feminism has come is our ability to cannibalize each other. From where I sit it just looks petty and unworthy of the alums of a great school.

• Alex. S.

No misogynistic rant would be complete without this followup comment, claiming its critics are elitist, uppity, meanie-heads who don’t understand satire.

• N.R.

I’m glad you pointed this out. While the rebuttals made are absolutely well-taken and important, I think we can do better than stooping to making comments about how slutty the author must be. Did Mean Girls teach us nothing???

• DP

Couldn’t agree more, CS. I heard about the comments before I heard about the article. I’m embarrassed to think that pride and hubris have overtaken tolerance and good judgment in the culture of the women’s colleges.

• Bryn Mawr Grad ’11

Just to make sure all the lovely Wellesley students and other readers don’t get the wrong impression of Bryn Mawr, this is not what Bryn Mawr is like. I never once saw a bloody tampon, and, as another commenter mentioned, the bathrooms at Bryn Mawr are much cleaner than those at other institutions I’ve seen (including the one I’m attending now for graduate school).

Ms. Chu’s other accusations, to use her own terminology, are “a bit silly,” at best. They are misconceptions about women’s education as a whole, and stereotypes that she has slapped on Bryn Mawr. Perhaps she wasn’t okay with being stereotyped this way as a Bryn Mawr student, and then felt the need to dish it out in self-defense after her transfer.

Lastly- her point about males in Bryn Mawr classes getting “lauded” by Professors? Professors do not care whether there are 10 or 1 males in their class. The class is taught the same way and no one receives public praise for something so ridiculous.

I hope Ms. Chu and the staff of the Argus apologize to Bryn Mawr and Wellesley, and that Ms. Chu publishes a second editorial admitting to the stereotypes used in this one.

• I Blue Myself for Wellesley

An apology is an excellent idea! Perhaps Ms. Chu could actually visit Wellesley and let it inform her opinion. Though she may want to do so incognito.

• Wellesley ’04

As a Wellesley graduate (’04) I can almost guarantee you that NOBODY thought that Ms. Chu’s descriptions of Bryn Mawr were remotely accurate.

• Wellesley 2011

As a recent Wellesley grad who almost picked Bryn Mawr, back in the day, I’ll echo the reassurances that we aren’t letting this color our opinions of BMC.

And although one of the (many) complaints I have about the original article was that it assumed all women’s colleges were one and the same, I do think that our two schools are similar in some of the ways that matter most – that we are both diverse, creative, inclusive, intellectual communities whose members are more than happy to rise to their passionate defense when necessary.

By which I mean: we love you guys, and we know you don’t leave your bloody tampons on the floor.

• Mawrter’13

Uh, just want to say: Been at Bryn Mawr three years, never seen someone else’s used tampon in my life. Ever.

TRUTH. What the hell is Chu talking about?!

• Bryn Mawr Senior

You should never start a sentence with “however.” You would probably know that if you had stayed at Bryn Mawr. Just saying.

• Ia Nike!

I am truly sorry about your experience at Bryn Mawr. Judging solely on your opinions and the way you back them, I can see why it was not the place for you. I have only been a Bryn Mawr student for two months, and the amount of love I already have for my fellow Mawrters, the academic environment, and our traditions is a testament to not only Bryn Mawr but also to all-women’s education as a whole. Just because it was not the right fit for you does not mean that it isn’t the right fit for the thousands of women who continue to choose all-women’s colleges and never regret their decisions.

• BMCAlum

As a Bryn Mawr grad (2010), and as a woman who now works mentoring other young women, I constantly speak to the benefits of a women’s college. One of the facts I continually mention is the difference between confidence and assertion– that a women’s college taught me to not only be talkative in class, but to lead projects, to speak my mind without apologizing for it, and to speak up when nobody else would. This article saddens me because I feel, fundamentally, that you failed to fundamentally grasp the point of a women’s college education; if you measure a women’s college based on the very minimal role of men on campus, then you are still guilty of the exact elitism that causes women’s colleges to exist.
    For the record, as an alum, my pride in my women’s college never did (and never will) have anything to do with the consortium, and the benefit of Bryn Mawr was never from those schools.

• Miffed Mawrter

Honestly, I feel like this article is aimed more at Bryn Mawr than Wellesley. All of Vicky Chu’s experiences with women’s college come from her time at Bryn Mawr. Wellesley is really only in this piece because it sounds like Wesleyan and acts as a bridge to the topic of women’s colleges in general.

Now, I must say that, for some reason, I was more shocked by the sweatpants comment than the bloody tampons comment. Why? Because I distinctly remember my freshman year being surprised at how almost everyone I saw wore very cute clothes. I actually felt under dressed–while not wearing sweatpants, mind you. I don’t own any. The whole bloody tampon tangent? I simply took it as an extreme over exaggeration simply to point out (the fairly obvious fact) that at a women’s college only women live in the doms. Obviously single-sex dorms only exist in single-sex colleges.

About being dependent on coeducational institutions–I could easily complete my major at Bryn Mawr, without ever stepping foot on another campus. However, since there is the opportunity to take advantage of other classes offered at other colleges of course I will do so!

I have found Bryn Mawr to be an excellent learning environment, though very rigorous and at times the workload is almost unmanageable. It doesn’t matter to me if there are males in my classes, though they are in at least one of my classes every day of the week, because I am here to learn. I am not here to get a husband. I am not here to stick it to the patriarchy. I am here to be part of a community of strong, independent women and to graduate with a degree that will help me begin a career.

To Ms. Chu:
    I’m sorry that you did not have a good time at Bryn Mawr. However, plenty of people transfer from one college to another–you are not unique in that respect. However, your need to attack BMC leads me to believe that you refuse to acknowledge that it was not Bryn Mawr’s fault that you did not belong, as it is an institution where many women flourish and have done so for 125 years, but it is the fault of your own for choosing a school at which you did’t belong (again, not that you should be blamed for it since many people have been in the same situation).

Single-sex education is not for everyone, which is one of the reasons we call it ‘self-selectivity’: just because you did not fit Bryn Mawr does not mean that Bryn Mawr is automatically worse than the institution you transferred to.

Sincerely,
    Miffed Mawrter

• PB

If you’re going to be a writer, you’ll learn very quickly that offending people is the quickest way to be out on your ass.

I won’t bother defending women’s colleges, many other people have done that. But I will say that the WESLEYAN alum who has written here apologizing to the Wellesley community is clearly someone who received a better education at Wesleyan that you did.

Clearly, you don’t belong at ANY liberal arts college, since not a one of them has been able to teach you the value of viewing things objectively.

• Bryn Mawr ’13

You really don’t get it, do you?
    I go to Bryn Mawr, we’re in the same class, actually, and for some reason, I don’t remember you at all. I’ve met quite a few Bryn Mawr girls like you who spent a lot of time off campus, observing us Bryn Mawr women from a distance. In all honesty, you have no idea of what Bryn Mawr is like. There is none of this man-hating, tampon throwing business. We don’t really care about other schools, coed or not. We have all taken coed classes and we acknowledge that it doesn’t matter. Frankly, the reason Bryn Mawr women go to Bryn Mawr is to get one of the best educations in the entire country. It’s a supportive environment where you are constantly surrounded by like-minded women who you can both befriend and look up to.

Why did you feel a need to write this article? Honestly, Bryn Mawr has turned out (and will continue to turn out) far more spectacular graduates than Wesleyan. I have a feeling you’re a little bitter for not being able to hack it. Just ‘food for thought’ as you would say….

• CW

Vicky came in with class of 2012. She transferred out at the end of sophomore year.

• BMC ’64

Echoing 99.99% of what other Bryn Mawr alums have already said, I only regret for Vicky Chu that she was dragooned into going to BMC in the first place. Clearly it was not the right place for her.

• Molly Pieri, BMC Class ’09

Responding to this article is rather difficult for me. On the one hand, I am a Bryn Mawr grad, Class ’09, and I do take offense to some of the accusations made against my undergraduate institution. On the other, I agree with some points made here. More importantly, I think that an unexamined decision to commit to a single-sex educational environment is just about the worst move that any college or university can make. Please, do not mistake this as some infuriated rant to defend the honor of my college- I think that the value of a single-sex college needs to be evaluated, and I don’t know on which side of that argument I necessarily fall, but I also think that this article contains some glaring misrepresentations of all women’s colleges (Bryn Mawr in particular) that need to be corrected.

So, let’s start with the points on which Ms. Chu and I agree, moving to my disagreements and points of contention later:

I did not consider the fact that I would be attending an all women’s college when I decided to go to Bryn Mawr. Instead I was drawn, as I believe Ms. Chu was as well, by the small class sizes, the commitment academic rigor, the truly outstanding faculty, and the high quality of living enjoyed by the students (dorms are beautiful, and meals are superb). It wasn’t until about three months into my first semester that I was walking across the campus’s crowded central green one afternoon, and realized that I could not see a single male person. Not a one. That’s when I realized that I had really chosen to go to an all women’s college, and that decision was going to affect my life for both the next four years and beyond.

Throughout my time at Bryn Mawr I struggled with the idea of an all women’s college: when you strip away every thing else from the central concept, my college practiced discrimination on the basis of gender. I was not (and still am not) entirely comfortable with that notion. And I completely agree with Ms. Chu when she says that “All women—at both coed and women’s colleges—must seek to empower themselves by challenging gender inequities.” I some times wonder whether promoting single-sex education merely highlights these inequities, rather than challenges them.

I also think that there is something to the thought that Bryn Mawr does depend on the Tri-Co and Bi-Co relationships for social interaction with members of the opposite gender. I spent much of my time at the other two (co-ed) members of the Tri-Co consortium. Full disclosure: I completed one of my two majors through Haverford’s Philosophy department, and I am currently engaged to a man who graduated from Swarthmore, whom I dated throughout my time at Bryn Mawr. So, yes, I took full advantage of the Tri-Co consortium, and I think that Bryn Mawr students can benefit from this association both academically and socially…

Now- moving on to the aspects of Ms. Chu’s article with which I disagree:

I do not think that Bryn Mawr (or, I assume, other all women’s colleges of the same caliber) is in some way incomplete without the co-ed members of the Tri-Co consortium (or its equivalent). I know many students who never took a class and never pursued social relationships at either Haverford or Swartmore, and they seemed to think that their collegiate experience was completely satisfactory, thank-you-very-much. I think that Bryn Mawr benefits from the consortium, but I do not think that it is the only college to do so, nor do I feel that it is reliant upon the consortium in a way that the other two member colleges are not.

Furthermore, having split my academic pursuits more or less half way down the middle between single-sex and co-ed environments (I graduated with a Bio major completed entirely at Bryn Mawr and a Philosophy major completed entirely at Haverford), I feel like I am in a pretty good position to compare the two. Both environments provided me with an excellent education- mainly because Haverford and Bryn Mawr are both very similar schools: small classes, wonderful faculty etc. etc. I did not feel as if I had additional challenges in my co-ed classes to be heard alongside the male voices in the class. I don’t feel as if I participated more in my all-women’s classes. But, I did feel as if the culture at Bryn Mawr was one of cooperation, more so than at Haverford (Sorry, Haverfordians, you guys are great, but there it is, that’s my honest opinion) The entire ethos of my single-sex academic environment was one of team work, and competition with oneself rather than one’s classmates. I really enjoyed that, and I missed it from my co-ed experiences. Never having attended any other all women’s colleges, I cannot say that this cooperative academic endeavor extends to their campuses as well, but I believe that it was the result of being in an all women’s environment, particularly one as healthy and robust as Bryn Mawr’s.

Which brings me, finally, to the things about this article I believe are just plain wrong:

The women with whom I associated with at Bryn Mawr are some of the most socially well adjusted people I have ever had the pleasure of knowing. Yes, we have some nutters- what college doesn’t?- but most of my peers were outstanding women with whom I am proud to associate. The social environment at Bryn Mawr is far from “normal”- it is exceptional.

I never saw another woman’s bloody tampon at Bryn Mawr: in the bathroom or anywhere else. And yes, some students did dress in baggy sweatpants and over-sized sweatshirts, many more wore completely normal tee-shirts and jeans combos, while a few dressed themselves to the nines, with formal western business attire, traditional clothing from their ethnic or religious groups of identification, and one woman in particular who always looked fabulous: like she had just walked off a haute couture runway.

I never noticed undue attention paid to the male students in my classes at Bryn Mawr, but for a more accurate assessment, you’d really have to ask them for their thoughts on the matter…

Finally, and most importantly: never during my four years at Bryn Mawr did I scream “Death to the Patriarchy”. I never proclaimed that I would “rather be dead than co-ed”. Nor did I ever feel pressured to do so. Certainly some woman at Bryn Mawr (and other all women’s colleges, I’d imagine) for whom these statements ring true- but they are not shoved down your throat at admission, you are not required to recite them every morning pledge-of-allegiance style, and I strongly resent the implication that they are notions which are endorsed by the Bryn Mawr student body as a whole.

Hopefully this response will contribute to this discussion more than some of the more emotionally motivated responses that have been generated, because I think that the value of co-ed vs single-sex educations ought to be something discussed, if only so we can isolate those aspects which are beneficial from those that are detrimental. But, at the same time, I feel I must express the offense I took to this article: I found it both inaccurate and slanderous of women’s colleges, Bryn Mawr in particular. So, while I applaud Ms. Chu’s efforts to examine the issue of single-sex education, I must say that I am disappointed by the way in which she has done so.

-Molly Pieri, BMC Class ’09

—Not having had time to proof read this, and having to go to work, I hope you will forgive any typo’s or minor grammatical errors I’ve made in this response—

• Wellesley 09

Molly,

An extremely well-written response and I thank you for your perspectives on this issue. I agree whole-heartedly that while I understand where Ms. Chu was coming from, her execution was rather unfortunate.

• Molly Pieri, BMC Class ’09

Glad you appreciated it. I think that we who attend or support all women’s colleges are far to quick to extol the benefits of single-sex education without acknowledging that there are, in point of fact, costs as well. Not that I don’t think the benefits outweigh these costs; however to ignore the costs, or not reevaluate them is just as wrong as to ignore or not evaluate the benefits an all women’s colleges provide. I wish that the conversation here could have more deeply examined this cost/benefit ratio, and how we measure these costs and benefits, for whom they are assumed, and by whom they are evaluated… and less on the need to defend specific institutions against specific accusations. But, I think that the nature of the anonymous internet forum may be against us on that one: the allure of a quick, snarky, smack down is just too great. Hence the top rated post right now is Regina’s: “But sweatpants are all that fits me right now”. Hilarious, yes (laughed my head off the first time I read it), but not exactly substantive.

-Molly, BMC ’09

• Mawrtyr Class of 2011

Dear Ms. Chu,

I can clearly see why you didn’t last at Bryn Mawr, a school that values making arguments based on valid reasoning and clear evidence, rather than stereotypes, personal prejudices, hearsay, and pettiness. Your arguments are baseless, and your article, trash. I believe that the atmosphere at Bryn Mawr helped me and my friends succeed in various ways, including being admitted to the top graduate/medical/law programs in the world, receiving prestigious fellowships (I, myself, am on a Fulbright right now), and helping our communities in various ways.

As a German/Comp Lit double-major, I can say with confidence that I could not have received this caliber of education in almost any other institution in the country. Did you know that Bryn Mawr produces more alums with PhDs in foreign languages than ANY OTHER SCHOOL in the country? That means more than Harvard, Yale, Princeton, and, yes, Wesleyan. As someone who hopes to pursue a foreign language PhD very soon, this statistic is significant. Moreover, Bryn Mawr is ranked number 8 in the country for producing PhDs in all fields. That’s above every single ivy league school. (http://www.reed.edu/ir/phd.html)

Here’s some more cold hard facts to throw your way (sorry, I understand that actual, statistical information may be a little out of your league, but here goes): The Washington Monthly ranked Bryn Mawr College as the number one college in America based on social mobility, fostering scientific and humanistic research. (http://www.mainlinevideoguide.com/education.html)

Some more awesome facts: Bryn Mawr was also the first institution in the country to offer graduate degrees to women. Bryn Mawr students began the first student governance association in the country. Bryn Mawr was the first institution in the world to offer degrees in social work. Bryn Mawr has several programs that are widely regarded as some of the best in the country, including history of art, archeology, and Russian. Bryn Mawr was one of two schools in the country (the other being Georgia Tech) to receive a $1 million grant from Microsoft supporting a ground-breaking robotics program.

As far as our college consortia are concerned: we share resources and we coexist quite nicely, thank you very much. Some majors are offered at Bryn Mawr that are not offered at Haverford and Swat, and vice versa, so many, many students from Haverford and Swarthmore major in, or take a significant number of classes at, Bryn Mawr, and many Bryn Mawr students major in, and take courses at, Haverford, Swarthmore, and Penn. For example, history of art is not offered at Haverford, so Fordians major in it at BMC, while BMC does not offer fine arts, so Mawrtyrs major in it at Haverford. Comp Lit is a bi-college major, which means students take core courses and electives at both schools. You clearly only took advantage of this consortium to get drunk and make a fool of yourself at Haverford, but not all of us are interested in wasting our valuable college years in the dark daze of a hangover.

I really could go on all night about how wonderful Bryn Mawr is. I’m sure that Wesleyan is a very special place, as well, although clearly you aren’t learning very much there.

I hope that your classmates are ashamed at your shallow thinking, and that you and the Argus editors issue an apology immediately. Maybe spending a few more years at Bryn Mawr would have done you some good.

Sincerely,

Someone deeply concerned for your higher reasoning skills

• BMC ’12

Amen

• BMPB11

Tits or GTFO!

• Mawrtyr Class of 2011 (again)

By the way: I wonder if people who go to Harvard get to make completely ridiculous comments about the validity of a historically black education just because their name sort of sounds like “Howard”. Oh wait. No, they don’t. Because that’s ABSURD.

• anon

you make some good points, but this is really harsh!

• BMC

Shame on you. This type of judgement and negativity is harsh, hyperbolic, and simply rude. Just because a women’s college was not for you does not give you the liberty to trash it. I strongly suggest a public apology.

There are many personal comments that I’d like to make to you right now, but will refrain because that type of hatred–akin to the content of your article–is poisonous and hurtful. Truly, shame on you. Congratulations on spreading more unnecessary hate and prejudice in this world.

• BMC Class of 12

Didn’t realize women’s college were the only places where people did “unmentionable things.” That kinda sucks.

• Molly Pieri, BMC Class ’09

Bryn Mawr Students! I’ve been holding this back, but I can’t any longer. I’m ashamed! I agree with many of your objections to this article, but for the love of all that is decent, take some responsibility for your opinions. Particularly those of you who address Ms. Chu personally. Enough of these anonymous attacks. Sign your names. Or does Bryn Mawr no longer teach students the importance of this practice? I know when I was there every poster, every publicly viewed sentiment was finished with “???’s -youremail@address.here“. Show some respect for both your opinions and the woman whom you are confronting. Sign your responses.

-Molly, BMC ’09

• Pragya Krishna ’13

Good point. I’m Pragya Krishna, class of 2013, and I made the Mawrter’13 comment about never having seen someone else’s used hygiene products during my time here. I keep rechecking the article too, hoping to see that she meant to state them as stereotypes and nothing more, but it is solidly there, presented as ‘fact’.

• Rayna Andrews

That is a good point. Now I can’t stop thinking about all the controversy with the ACBs. I’m Rayna Andrews, class of 2011 and I posted as ‘Ia Ia Ia’ regarding transferring TO BMC.

I feel that going to Bryn Mawr was the best decision of my life and has made me the person I am today. When Bryn Mawr is represented in such a way, it feels like a personal atack.

• Ex-classmate, BMC 2013

Let’s be completely honest here, Vick. College life here at Bryn Mawr just wasn’t what you expected. What you really wanted was to be around members of the opposite sex. It’s ok, some of us have those moments when we wonder what it would be like to go someplace else and have that “typical college experience.” The difference between you and us is that you are weak. Your own preconceived notion of what’s socially “normal” for college got in the way of what is really important, education. To say that all you saw was “women reinforcing negative stereotypes by demeaning themselves in order to gain validation from coed students” is a disgustingly false accusation. I see more of this behavior from sorority girls who constantly take pictures of everything while holding up poorly made Greek letters with their bodies constantly seeking social acceptance. I don’t know what crowd you were hanging out with at Bryn Mawr, clearly the kind who transfers.

As for your statement regarding women wearing sweatpants, show me a college or university where people don’t wear sweatpants and you can say I told you so.

I’m glad you transferred out of our class because frankly, you are a disgrace. You have no respect for your (ex)fellow classmates and the women who are taking the strides to further their education at a women’s college. This article is nonsensical doesn’t accurately represent at all what it means to go to Bryn Mawr (or any women’s college).

I’m sorry Wesleyan now has you as their poster child. I’m sure there are a lot of great people there, but you are not one of them. Maybe you should transfer.

• Christina

“…I see more of this behavior from sorority girls who constantly take pictures of everything while holding up poorly made Greek letters with their bodies constantly seeking social acceptance. ”

I am in Copenhagen this semester and I never knew PEOPLE conducted themselves like this until now (my ignorance I suppose). As a Haverfordian, who did not appreciate what she had til abroad, I look forward to returning to a tri-college community of motivated and insightful intellectuals who are cultivating the skills to change the face of world tomorrow, for the better, in unique and nuanced ways.

I am privileged to be inspired by the light of my peers at Bryn Mawr. Some people just miss the opportunity. And although Ms. Chu chose to view her experience at Bryn Mawr through myopic lenses of black and white, perhaps Weslyan will offer the necessary skills for her to critically challenge her uninformed conceptions… or at least teach her not to publish them as fact.

• Wellesley 05 Harvard 11

I went to Wellesley. Nothing in this article remotely resembles my experience at Wellesley, but that makes sense considering the writer never went to Wellesley. I suppose the point is she would choose any co-ed institution over any single-sex one. Which is fine. The women’s college education is not for everyone, just as the big state school or geographically isolated school isn’t for everyone. I know the Mawrters are upset with and offended by this article (which is fair. tampons? really?) but take it for what it is: not much.

I also went to Harvard. I think there is an interesting dicussion to be had about the differences between co-ed and single-sex schools, but none of that conversation is present here. It is a rant by one girl (who probably shouldn’t have been at a women’s college to begin with) crediting her single experience and gut assumptions more than the studies and data that consistently show the benefits of women’s colleges to the women who attend them.

So, Ms. Chu, I have had the same Wellesley/Wesleyan conversation at times and it can be annoying, but please, back up off Wellesley; you did not go and have precisely zero credibility to talk about our college. And as far as Bryn Mawr, you ought to consider your words and how they are recieved and potentially used by others. And if you want to be a writer, you ought to have more respect for facts and perhaps a little less respect for your own assumptions. It is a shame that between the two wonderful schools you have attended, you have not learned that anecdotal evidence is not evidence. Or that stereotyping and generalizing are wrong. You did not learn that projecting your assumptions onto others does not actually make those assumptions true.

• Christina

BMC’10
      I’m fairly certain this is my big sister, and by fairly I mean it is. Seven Sisters Family! :) I second her points.

• Let’s just get this clear.

I’m a male Haverford grad from the class of 2011, and I’m currently teaching at a single-sex private school. Some of my closest friends are Bryn Mawr women, and my girlfriend just graduated from Smith College, so I (like nearly everyone else who’s commented on this article) take GREAT exception to just about everything you say here.
    The woman who posted below about Bryn Mawr’s academic record is right on the money, but that doesn’t seem to be your problem. Your problem is the culture of the school, the aesthetic of the single-sex college, the relationship between men and women that you think such a system allows. Unfortunately, your perception of that culture is so skewed as to be laughable; I was the only man in several of my literature classes at Bryn Mawr, but never once did I feel uncomfortable (or uniquely comfortable) simply because of my gender. The fact that your great awakening came from reading Judith Butler and Michel Foucault is also worth a giggle.
    What’s less funny is your assertion that feminism and femininity (you disturbingly link the two, another habit of a small mind) are things that can ruin a college experience. Yelling “Death to the patriarchy!” is not, as you call it, an instance of repeated whining, but rather a sign that the reconstruction of social order is part of the very culture of the school and not something that students encounter only for three hours a week in their copies of “Gender Trouble.” It’s a GOOD sign, a healthy sign. Feminism is not a part-time job.
    I used to roll my eyes with every other Haverford student when Bryn Mawr women performed the “anassa kata” cheer, but it seems particularly powerful and relevant in the face of such willful ignorance as yours. “Hail, victory,” they shout, and in that victory they call for is an end to the ridiculous oppression and double standards that still plague our society. They’re not sorry for annoying you by yelling it a little too often or too loudly for your taste, because it’s something that needs to be shouted.

Ia, ia, Nike. Bryn Mawr, Bryn Mawr, Bryn Mawr.

• Sara

As a Bryn Mawr alum, I appreciate that you, Ford alum, left off the Annasa Kata part. You learned well from your friends, apparently!

• HC ’11

Sara,
        I’m not dumb enough ever to start the Anass. I may be a feminist, but I’m also very fond of my balls, and I’d like to KEEP them.

Thank you! <3

• Christina W. BMC ’11

“”Hail, victory,” they shout, and in that victory they call for is an end to the ridiculous oppression and double standards that still plague our society. They’re not sorry for annoying you by yelling it a little too often or too loudly for your taste, because it’s something that needs to be shouted.”

Well spake, my friend.

• Notaman

wow ladies, the sad fact remains that it took a man to say what you could not convey coherently… just reinforces the dominance of the patriarchy

• Amanda Buster

To the contrary, I have read several responses by fellow alumnae that were articulate and coherent. I appreciated this Haverfordian response for conveying an alternate perspective to the personal accounts of the many Mawrtyrs who had already posted. I also appreciated his take on the whole Butler/Foucault awakening problem….cheers to your giggles, sir! Just because a man comes to a woman’s defense (or her school’s defense) doesn’t mean she has failed to do so herself, Notaman. It means he’s a gracious person. I appreciate it.

It is far better that Ms. Chu left for a school that was a more appropriate fit for her, than to remain at a place where she did not feel comfortable, thereby missing out on a positive college experience. I don’t feel offended by her choice to leave – the Bryn Mawr community has a strong personality and it’s not for everyone. That she chose the wrong college and then extrapolated her bad personal experience into a more general, public condemnation of both my college and single-sex education is what I find disappointing, and an example of lazy thinking.

I suggest that she consider that not all discomfort is equal, and that sometimes we feel uncomfortable because we are being challenged to grow beyond our fears or misconceptions. I am sorry that Ms. Chu felt embarrassed by the Swarthmore hazing, but I wish that she had taken the opportunity to stand up to it, and to learn to feel confident in her own abilities in the face of these taunts. Honestly, what can you expect at a school where students wear “Anywhere else it would have been an A” t-shirts??? (I love my Swattie friends, I do! I don’t take their tendency to boast personally.) Certainly, life is not going to get much easier in this regard, and the relatively tame (lame?) things she heard from these college kids could have been an easy way to learn this lesson.

I chose Bryn Mawr base on its academic excellence, and did not go fully informed about the realities of single-sex education. There were certainly times during my four years there that I questioned my choice or wavered in my defense of it when challenged by others. In fact, I am still challenged by colleagues and friends who doubt the advantages of a single-sex education. It is in the fourteen years since I graduated from Bryn Mawr that I have come to understand more fully the benefits of single-sex education.

Let me be clear about one point: during my time at Bryn Mawr, I did not learn to hate men, or to scorn them, or to avoid them or hold them apart. I didn’t obsessively compare myself to them, or tally up the ways in which I had managed to be their equal or their better. The same goes for my attitudes toward women. I was encouraged to determine my own standards for myself, and to compare myself not to others but to the person I wanted to become (free of any expectations of what someone of my gender or background should become), and I still strive to do this, though it is a life-long undoing of the pressure to compare myself to others. This is not a rejection of others, but an affirmation of myself (or perhaps development of self). In that environment, I didn’t waste a lot of time thinking about how others might be doing, where I could get an easy A, what others thought about me…and that freed me up to be supportive and forthright and less threatened by and more compassionate towards people who disagree with me.

Quite frankly, life after college IS different – it has been less supportive, less about merit and more about politics and appearances, more fraught with gender-based assumptions and divisions…and my college experiences and my relationships with other alumnae have proven to be a wellspring of lessons learned about myself that I have been fortunate enough to draw upon for balance and perspective time and time again in the face of “real world” challenges. Let’s face it, this notion of co-ed colleges being better preparation for the “real world” is silly. You don’t really know what the “real world” is like until you’re in it, and four-year liberal arts college is not it.

Yes, I’ll admit it – there’s an initial very big imposed us/them division in the admission process, and it’s a contradiction I worry over (is this a case of selectively seeing discrimination as a good thing when it benefits me and a bad thing when it hurts me?) but in my personal experience, the environment that this initial sex-based discrimination created during college actually engendered more thoughtful and open interactions with men and women, and freed me from thinking about everything in terms of Team Guys vs. Team Girls. I have seen more of the category-based “girls vs. boys” thinking in everyday life among female graduates of co-ed schools than among my peers from single-sex schools.

I hope that Ms Chu does not recoil in the face of these impassioned responses to her article and criticisms of her argument, some of which are admittedly a little hot-headed, in response to the careless accusations and unfair generalizations she made in her opinion piece. I hope that this experience reminds her of the importance of demonstrating a respect for others regardless of whether you agree with them or not, as well as the importance of taking ownership of one’s opinions, and responsibility for how they are expressed.

Amanda Buster
        BMC 1997

• bmc13

Why do you think that hating the patriarchy is the same as hating men?
        Being a feminist is not about hating men. Why shouldn’t we appreciate a good argument and a good defense from someone?

• bmw class of 2014

Dear Vicky,

You are entitled to your own opinion, however when you stereotype a whole institution that is simply absurd. People obviously recognize Wellesley over Wesleyan because of the distinguished women that graduated from the school. It is ironic how you advocate for gender equality and the empowerment of women, yet debunk the institutions that try to promote that. This article failed to articulate any message. It successfully displayed your ignorance and frustration. It is a shame you did not enjoy your time at Bryn Mawr, but keep your resentment to yourself. You just did not take advantage of the wonderful opportunities! I hope you immerse yourself into the campus life at Wesleyan and find a love for your new school without demystifying our schools.

Goodluck!

A proud bmw :)

PS- It is unfortunate that Wesleyan even let this article get published.

• BMC’14

As a student at Bryn Mawr, I am VERY offended by this article, and I’m pretty sure other Mawrtyrs are too, probably much more than I am. I’m sorry you couldn’t find your place here. It’s not that I enjoy every minute of being here either, and I’m going to be honest and say that I have considered transferring to a different school at one point too, although my reasons were much more complicated and personal, at least compared to the reasons you list here. I didn’t consider transferring because of bloody tampons in the bathroom (where did you even find bloody tampons in Bryn Mawr bathrooms? Are you sure they weren’t YOURS?), and I have never doubted the quality of Bryn Mawr’s academics, ever. I decided not to transfer, and I am absolutely happy that I gave myself more time and made efforts to stay. It is clear to me that you weren’t so successful in Bryn Mawr, seeing the poor quality of your writing.

Are you sure you even tried? In fact, I remember you were in one of my classes last semester, and I don’t think I ever heard you speak, nor did I see you paying attention. I guess you were just too busy “glaring” at the guys in our class.

It’s clear to me that your mind is completely shallow, so please allow me to make this one shallow statement. If you are so disgusted with girls wearing oversized sweatpants (which is NOT true at Bryn Mawr), how is it that you don’t even shave your pits and wear tank tops to class? I’m not going to lie, I didn’t recognize your name at first, but I remembered later that you were the girl with the unshaved pits.

I don’t like to be mean, but guess what, you’ve just offended the entire Bryn Mawr community. This article is clearly targeted at Bryn Mawr, and you’re making it even worse by talking about Wellesley; now you have offended every student, professor, and alum of women’s colleges, and I hope you realize what you’ve just done with this article. Hopefully Wesleyan is working out for you.

(I also hope that you shave before you go to class there. I’m pretty sure guys can tolerate oversized sweatpants, but not hairy armpits.)

• BMC’12

yeah…. no. she wasn’t in your class last semester. she transferred before you got to school. nice try though?

• BMC’14

I realize that I’m essentially doing the same, but anonymous personal attacks are not at all helpful. Condemning anyone for something so superficial as whether or not they choose to shave their armpits is just as bad as, if not worse than,ju the sweeping judgements made in this article, especially since you seem to base your opinion of that choice on precisely the type of socially imposed gender norm that we are taught to question at Bryn Mawr.

• Bmc12

Also, Vicky was a junior transfer, so she left in May 2010.
        and congratulations, now you have just brought in a new stereotype for us about unshaved armpits, and you have essentially confirmed the stereotypes she listed of women’s colleges by judging her yourself. thanks for that!

• Bryn Mawr ’13

While a lot of the author’s comments are up for debate…her comment about tour guides constantly referencing the closeness of co-ed schools nearby is dead on. If we have so much pride as a woman’s school, why does it always seem like the absence of men is something women’s colleges feel the need to compensate for?

Also, speaking as a junior at Bryn Mawr…women’s colleges and Bryn Mawr are not for everybody, and the atmosphere is definitely not what you would find at a larger or co-ed school. Whether that suits you or not is a personal matter. It didn’t suit the author, and if you don’t agree with the campus majority’s opinions, things can get tiring and frustrating. A lot of people who love Bryn Mawr have reacted very strongly against this article, and that’s legit; but not everyone flourishes here.

(Also: personal pet peeve, I hate the ‘better dead than co-ed’ slogan. Something about it just really gets on my nerves…maybe the implication that nothing can be worse than the presence of student penis on campus? Is there really no better way of getting your point across? It’s catchy but grahhh.)

• BMC’12

“A lot of people who love Bryn Mawr have reacted very strongly against this article, and that’s legit; but not everyone flourishes here.”

Of course a women’s college isn’t the right fit for everyone. No one is arguing against that. It’s the “authors” decision to conjure up offensive and untrue “anecdotes” and her choice to slander a school that didn’t work for her that is so offensive. It is one thing to speak highly of your school; I do that regularly for BMC. But you don’t have to lie about the downfalls of another school in order to recognize the benefits of your own education.

I’ve never

• Emma R.

Simply examining the means by which students approach gender and/or sex equality and empowerment and later applying the means of empowerment into the larger society means taking into account the different ways in which students may choose to go about this. At a women’s college, we choose to empower women in the collegiate setting by providing them with the resources they need to be competitive in a male dominated society. Women who come here chose this type of environment. They choose to have the single gender experience (in conjunction with having co-ed opportunities).

Any college can be a bubble. Our bubble, like all others, does not remain in its normal form for very long because our women go out into the world during the academic year, over the summer, and after college. They do not interact solely with other people in the campus community but rather the campus community acts as a means of making sure women are going about these things to the best of their abilities. With this community of common goals of learning and going out into the world as respected as our male counter parts, we are able to work towards avoiding any position of subservience due to our gender, whether with people within a consortium or a future co-worker.

Also, what is wrong with wearing sweatpants to class? Sweatpants are by no means indicative of relationships with professors. As a matter of fact, had the weather been cooler, I would have worn sweats everyday to the summer course I attended at a large co-ed state school.

I wonder if you would have had this perspective on how to deal with men had you never attended Bryn Mawr, because the way I see it, your background at a Seven Sister’s school likely helped shape your perspective on the ways to deal with men because you were not in a position that forced you to be subservient but rather in a position where you saw something else, where you saw equality and learned the ways to talk to people. Please give credit where credit is due.

-Emma, Bryn Mawr College ’14

• RD

I am incredibly offended by this. I NEVER wore sweatpants to class at Bryn Mawr. the Haverford girls did.

(I mean, obviously there are more glaring inaccuracies at work here, but I’m far too busy taking a bus to a coed school and doing unmentionable things to their WHOLE ENTIRE sports team, while also hurting my brain trying to figure out how to function independently from coed institutions, that I can’t possibly comment on all this ridiculousness all at once. So, just know that the sweatpants thing is a myth.)

-BMC ’09

• Yellow Class

I’m a little worried that the comments here are becoming denigrating to Wesleyan. Even if people tell me their boyfriend goes to my women’s college, I still respect the school, even if it’s not ranked as high as other colleges mentioned here. It graduates really great thinkers, just like everyone else.
    I’m sorry if that’s condescending, I just really enjoyed reading the highly developed critiques as something to look forward to as I become a college student and really don’t want this to become a mudslinging.

• Ashley Gavin, BMC ’10

Hi Vicky,
    You are probably not interested in anyone’s comments here relating to the benefits of a women’s college; you’ve already made your opinion quite clear. And I am not going to bore you with my perspective as a Bryn Mawr alum now working as a software engineer at MIT’s national security research lab, which you can imagine is quite male dominated. Rather I am going to address the fact that you chose to bash an entire community of people online. Literally hundreds of thousands of women have found women’s colleges to be extremely relevant for literally hundreds of years.

And you, Vicky Chu, you spent 1 year at Bryn Mawr.

Its fine that you didn’t like it. I don’t think anyone cares that you didn’t like it. People care that you attempted to demolish the reputations of these schools on the internet, with no real evidence other than your anecdotes. Did you really learn so little at Bryn Mawr/Wesleyan that you’re ignorant enough to post sweeping statements about large groups of people online, with no evidence to back it up?

Also, with all your talk about how obsessive Bryn Mawr women are about bringing down the patriarchy, and the embracing the sisterhood, or whatever, did you not predict that we would be ALL OVER THIS SHIT?!

• A.Proud.Owl

I love this. Best argument on here!

• Chosam

I’ve got to say for the valid points that you made in your first comment, to try to call out Vicky Chu’s intelligence and reasonable was completely asinine and quite a bit classless. I understand that Ms. Chu’s article may have struck you the wrong way but I would like to point out that nothing in her article disparaged any part of Bryn Mawr’s education which I’m sure is fantastic but instead talked about why it wasn’t right for her. I think that your frustration stems from the fact that it seems that Vicky is talking about the openness that she felt at Wesleyan and how she didn’t feel it at Bryn Mawr. I also feel that her discussion of her opinions of single sex colleges don’t attempt to discourage anyone from going to them. All I know is that if i was considering Bryn Mawr (I can’t, I’m a guy) this article would certainly not affect my outlook and I think that’s true for most PEOPLE. I hope that your love for school isn’t what’s leading you to make such inflammatory statements but I can’t think of anything else that would lead to such vitriol.

• Mawrtyr ’14

All you’ve done with this article is embarrass yourself and the Wesleyan institution.

• Wesleyan Student

Wellesley and other women’s colleges, GET OVER YOURSELVES.
    This is an Opinions piece; she is describing her experience at a women’s college, and her preference for a co-ed school. Her utilization of “Wellesley” is admittedly misleading, but I think it was more to poke fun at the fact that Wellesley is often confused with Wesleyan.
    All your outrage at this article only proves how much you need to confirm the validity of your women’s colleges as institutions. Threats of blackmail? Do you really have to try so hard to prove you’re better than us? Because frankly, we don’t care. Classy, ladies. Real classy.
    Wesleyan students aren’t even bothering to comment on this because, unlike you, we don’t feel any need to validate our school.
    I personally came to comment here because I know Vicky well enough to say she does not deserve all this flak. I can’t tell if she is or is not making gross generalizations because I’ve never been to a women’s college, but I would suggest you criticize her opinion respectfully; don’t make ad hominem attacks against someone you don’t know.

Speaking of which; I heard Wellesley women ride something – oh wait – what’s it called – oh that’s right THE FUCK TRUCK to MIT and Harvard. Face it, you can’t survive without co-ed institutions.

Your pretentiousness demonstrates you are all deluded, narrow-minded and completely full of yourselves. These comments are disgusting.

-Current Wesleyan Student

• Kate

I’m a current Wesleyan student and I’m embarrassed by your response to this article. Do all Wesleyan students a favor, and don’t embarrass our school anymore. These generalizations are truly mortifying and your comment regarding the “FUCK TRUCK” makes you sound ignorant and judgmental. It’s obvious that you are a friend of Vicky Chu and you want to defend her, but that does not make it alright to go online and validate her totally useless argument.

I am proud to go to Wesleyan but people like you and VIcky need to learn a little class. Being able to have an opinion does not make it alright for you to make cruel assumptions and bash colleges that are different than your own. I have many friends who attend Seven Sisters colleges and, while the experience is different, it’s just as rewarding.

– Current Wesleyan student

• BMC12

Frankly, your school wasn’t attacked. We aren’t trying to “prove” that we’re better – only that we’re relevant. And our relevance has nothing to do with the integrity of Wesleyan (which is a fantastic school, by the way, and one that my younger sister is considering attending).

– BMC ’12

• Mawrtyr ’14

I’m going to take the time to respond to this comment because it’s posts like these that really upset me. I would also like to acknowledge the fact that you made grand statements about a place you’ve never even visited before. Way to go confirming your ignorance on the subject matter.

Yes, the article is an opinion piece, but the author is backing up her argument (the necessity of women’s colleges?) by claiming that her one year at a women’s college has provided her with enough evidence to assert (somewhat indirectly) that the entire system is irrelevant. It’s offensive. Furthermore, her experiences at Bryn Mawr paint such laughably exaggerated stereotypes that it’s difficult to her seriously. Perhaps to someone who has never visited a women’s college these arguments appear valid, but as a student of Bryn Mawr myself it reads as if the author never tried to engage herself in the community. Maybe if she took the time to get to know the school, she would’ve felt differently? Or perhaps it was just a bad match. Either way, neither option gives her the credibility to claim that women who attend these schools are being “a bit silly” by making and supporting those decisions. Is that a respectful enough critique for you?

The outrage also comes from the author making insulting claims about our schools that veil insulting claims about women in general. Her views don’t reflect Bryn Mawr, but rather demonstrate what many perceive to occur in situations where women live and learn together without men. They’re outdated stereotypes built upon ignorance and it’s exactly what Bryn Mawr strives to move away from. It’s unfortunate that after attending this school for a period in time your friend couldn’t move past those stereotypes and discover the numerous positive experiences Bryn Mawr has had on other women. Or the ways in which the students here DO defy those stereotypes to create refreshingly new examples of women.

You had a point; some comments were harsh, but maybe I’d take your comment more seriously if you actually followed what you preached. Instead, you attacked everyone. Try to be more mature and not resort to obvious “insults,” (the fuck truck? Really?), and we’ll listen.

Also, I’d suggest you visit a women’s college before making sweeping generalizations about them or the women who attend them. It’s not quite the place of screaming, tampon-throwing crazies that she’s making it out to be.

Thanks to Kate for her post. It’s appreciated.

• alum

Wow. I don’t know what’s worse: this article or this comment.

I’m sorry, hold on. You read this an opinion piece? Are you sure we’re referring to the same article? Vicky used exaggerated personal anecdotes and applied them across the board as if they were facts of ALL women’s colleges in general. Aside from most of the claims she makes about Bryn Mawr in this article being founded in utter and complete falsehood, she did NOT present this article as an opinion piece. The claims she uses to substantiate her “opinion”, dare I call it that, are false, disgusting, and horribly offensive.

In response to your comment about Wellesley women riding “the fuck truck” to neighboring institutions: I assure you that term is not used by a single Wellesley student. Rather, I hypothesize that demeaning term was coined by students at other institutions that harbor misguided resentment towards Wellesley women that have decided to seek out social events at their schools*.

Is it likely that women from Wellesley occasionally engage in sexual or romantic activity with students from those schools? I’m inclined to say yes. Perhaps it’s because I’m unfamiliar with the nature of Wesleyan’s social life but I’m assuming those kinds of interactions occur just as frequently at your school as they do at any other college, all-women’s college or not. I will not defend the actions of any student at Bryn Mawr, Wellesley, or any other all women’s institution that shares an academic or social relationship with their neighboring schools because THESE ACTIONS DO NOT NEED DEFENDING. Attending an all women’s college does not commit me to celibacy nor does it restrict who I can or cannot be friends with, sleep with, party with, etc. I’m sorry that going to an all women’s college means I can’t just walk down the hall to watch a movie with or sex up my boyfriend/girlfriend. I think it’s really unfortunate that you seem to think that having to ride a bus in order to do that gives anyone the right to look at and refer to me in a derogatory manner.

The fact that you even used the “Fuck Truck” as an example of why women’s colleges could never “survive” without their hypothetical coed counterparts only improves upon arguments echoed by others in this thread in favor of attending an all-women’s institution. Fuck truck? Yea, Vicky… I’m gonna’ say it. Death to the patriarchy! DEATH to the fucking patriarchy. How dare anyone condemn a woman for how she chooses to use her mind OR her body. Your use of the term “fuck truck” only reinforces the ever-present dichotomy between how men and women’s actions are perceived in current social and political realms.

While I agree that some of the responses to Vicky’s article are unnecessarily aggressive and spiteful, the criticism of what she has presented in this piece is most definitely warranted. Your attempt to defend her is noble, however, your own misguided and offensive response further proves that our own responses are justified.

*Disclaimer: I’m a student at Bryn Mawr so this statement was simply a projection of how I feel some Haverford and Swarthmore students view Bryn Mawr students “invading” their campus on the weekend. I am unfamiliar with the nature of the Wellesley/Harvard/MIT relationship.

This. Exactly how I felt reading that comment.

– Recent Wellesley Alum

• DISAGREE!

“Wesleyan students aren’t even bothering to comment on this because, unlike you, we don’t feel any need to validate our school.”

Also a current Wesleyan student. Actually, I just haven’t commented on this article because, frankly, I just want it to go away. It’s so embarrassing! Please stop posting. You are making it worse.

I’m pretty sure something labeled the “Fuck Truck” isn’t a necessity to the survival of a university…..and I’m also sure that if you thought a moment about what a gross generalization is, you’d realize that this “opinion piece” (oh please) is full of them.

• Ecampbell

Clearly we at women’s colleges really missed out on having people like you in our classes. I am glad Vicky has the opportunity to attend an institution where her friends will try to slut-shame an entire campus in order to support their opinion that co-ed schools are better. “You have sex with boys at MIT and Harvard! Therefore clearly your college has no value.” Really? She’s right, there’s no need to kill the patriarchy, it’s clearly already dead. /sarcasm/

Generally there’s no point to arguing with people like you, but I’m going to comment for the benefit of other readers. I went to Wellesley. I was straight, so I dated MIT boys, I dated Harvard boys, on weekends I danced at finals clubs, and drank beer at frat parties. And on Sunday I was back at Wellesley studying and kicking ass in my single-sex classes. Boys and girls at co-ed institutions have relationships with people at different schools – does that invalidate the whole institution, which, I might remind you, is one of learning? Why does the fact that women from Wellesley and Bryn Mawr sometimes party and date men (and women) at co-ed institutions completely invalidate the concept of single sex education, in your opinion?

I chose Wellesley for the academics. I chose Wellesley for the W network and alumnae support and community and friendship. And I chose Wellesley because I liked the idea of classes where women were encouraged to go-get-em, where women were encouraged actively to be confident in themselves and speak up and challenge glass ceilings. When Madeleine Albright gave my commencement address, she said that when she graduated Wellesley, her commencement speaker told them they would be the mothers of tomorrow’s leaders. She told us that we could BE tomorrow’s leaders. I chose Wellesley as a school that can and will produce those leaders. No weekend fun off campus changes that fact.

I did not choose my undergraduate institution based on what my dating life would be like there any more than I chose it because it was supposed to be a good “party school”. That was a lot less important to me than going to a really good school with excellent professors and opportunities. And so I got a phenomenal education and had some fun on the side. Basically, I win at life. Where’s the problem?

I apologize for the personal attacks. No one should be slut-shaming Vicky for whatever happened with Haverford sports teams. No one should be threatening her future employment opportunities. No one should be threatening to attack her with bloody tampons (snicker). But, an opinion as such is not something that should just be respected. Opinions should be based on research, not hearsay. Opinions should be defensible. She didn’t research her opinions, she spoke from absolutely no experience of Wellesley, and she said some really inflammatory things. She deserves to get called on that. If she doesn’t like it, she can come back and defend herself with reasonable and well-researched arguments.