Head Football Coach Mike Whalen was named the University’s new Director of Athletics on Sept. 6, succeeding John Biddiscombe, who announced his retirement after a 37-year career at Wesleyan. Whalen graduated from the University in 1983 with a degree in sociology and education and returned to coach the football team in 2010.

“I feel fortunate to work at a school where students thrive being challenged in the classroom and on the sports field,” Whalen said. “My goal as Athletic Director is to focus not only on athletes, but on meeting the needs of the entire student body.”

Whalen will officially assume the responsibilities of Athletic Director next fall. In the coming months, he will shadow Biddiscombe to train for next year’s position.

“[The position will entail] handling all phases of Wesleyan’s intercollegiate athletic programs, including intramural and club sports, as well as overseeing sports facilities, and the University’s summer sports camps,” Whalen said.

Whalen praised Biddiscombe’s contributions to the University during his tenure as Athletic Director.

“John has done a fantastic job with the athletic program at Wesleyan,” Whalen said. “He has been a valuable mentor for me as a student and as a professional. Thanks to his dedication, I am inheriting a vibrant and successful athletic program that will continue to strive to develop and enrich each student athlete.”

During his time as a student at the University, Whalen served as captain of both the football and wrestling teams. Following graduation, while training to play football professionally, he was invited back to act as the Cardinal’s assistant coach.

“That year after graduating gave me a foundation for my career as a coach,” Whalen said. “Working with the team, I realized this was something I wanted to pursue.”

Whalen has coached football at a variety of schools including the University of Pennsylvania, where the 1986 Quakers went undefeated and won the Ivy League title, Lafayette College, where the Leopards won the Colonial League title in 1988 and the Patriot League title in 1989, and Colgate University, where he was the Associate Head Coach and offensive line coach for the Red Raiders.

Whalen served as the Head Football Coach at Williams College from 2004 to 2009 . In 2010 he was approached by President Michael Roth, who invited him to coach at his alma mater. Whalen made the switch and was appointed Wesleyan’s Head Football Coach on April 1, 2010. He will maintain this position next year.

Football captain Justin Freres ’12 said he was confident Whalen would be a successful Athletic Director.

“Coach Whalen creates an environment men want to be a part of,” Freres wrote in an email to The Argus. “I believe he will be a great Athletic Director and continue to have success.”

Joe Giaimo, a football player formerly on Whalen’s team, said he believes Whalen will bring the same enthusiasm he demonstrated as a football coach to his new job as Athletic Director.

“Coach Whalen is the ultimate competitor, mentor, and leader on the football team and in the athletic offices,” he wrote in an email to The Argus. “He instills a confidence in the team that reflects their spirit and the way they play. I think he’ll bring this same attitude to athletic director, and just like he has elevated the football program in just 17 months on the job, he’s going to do the same for the rest of the athletic department in creating a first class athletic experience for all sports.”