It is not an easy task convincing classmates to give money – no matter how worthy the cause – partly because of our high tuition bill and the current state of the world economy. But it is because so many before us made contributions to Wesleyan why we are able to be a part of this amazing community. It is because of giving that, even in the midst of an economic crisis, Wesleyan managed to maintain and even improve the quality of life and education that we are all privileged enough to enjoy. In fact, without the gifts of alumni, parents and friends of the university, we would all have to pay an extra $18,000 per year, as the real cost of a Wesleyan education is $72,000. Without the continued generosity of individuals associated with the University, Wesleyan would not be the place that we have all come to love and cherish. I know that for many seniors who are about to graduate and are anxious about their post-Wesleyan careers, giving back to Wesleyan is the last thing on their minds. I am one of those seniors and I, too, am nervous about life post-Wesleyan—it is truly a terrifying thought that I will have to leave a place that has been my home for the last four years. Even more frightening is the prospect of having to use real money instead of points … At the same time, I recognize that I dread the thought of leaving Wes because of the amazing experiences and opportunities I’ve had here. More importantly, I think many other people should have these same experiences and opportunities, which is why I have resolved to doing my part in making sure this happens—especially for those people who cannot afford to pay to go here. This is also why my fellow senior gift managers have decided to spearhead the fundraising activities for the senior gift as the proceeds will go towards a scholarship fund for incoming students. And this is why I implore every senior to contribute to the senior gift. Last year, the senior class raised more than $20,000 (which was subsequently matched by an alumnus) and more than 90 percent of the senior class gave. Having been inspired by the generosity of the class of 2010, this year the senior gift committee set out to match, or top, last year’s numbers. So far, we have raised approximately $12,000 and 74 percent of our class has already given. The senior gift committee members extend their sincerest gratitude to those who have already given and urge those who have not yet given to get on board and play their part in charting Wesleyan’s future. There is no minimum on how much you can give—any amount will be highly appreciated. There is an old saying in Jamaica that “every mickle makes a mockle.” And though I don’t know what a ‘mickle’ or a ‘mockle’ is, the general idea is that every tiny piece contributes to making a larger, more complete whole. As such, even the smallest contribution matters.

Go Wes!!

-Jayvan Mitchell

On behalf of the Senior Gift Committee: Lily Thalheimer, Taylor Cain, Janine Zaltsman

Mitchell is a member of the class of 2011.