The Cine-Files

, by Conor Byrne,

Have you slipped on the ice? Skidded out on Wyllys? Been blinded by the wintry white reflection of the snow during a recent walk of shame? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. Many of us are struggling to deal with Wesleyan in full winter mode. Whether you think you’re dodging dreamy danger like in that snowy “Inception” scene, start talking in a Midwestern accent amidst this “Fargo”-esque landscape, or even find yourself picking frozen snot off your face like Lloyd and Harry in “Dumb and Dumber,” dealing with this wicked weather is unavoidable.

And folks, it’s going to get worse before it gets better—the little weather widget on my Mac shows more flakes falling in our future. While the chic Canadian populace among us are putting on their furry-hooded coats and funny designer hats like it ain’t no thang, the rest of us just need to find a way to deal. As always, it is the non-professional, highly-biased opinion of this particular column writer that one must seek solace within the warm walls of the Goldsmith Family Cinema and let the stellar line-up on the Film Series comfort you like the warmth of a crackling fire. So, if you’re looking to battle the elements and come out on top, follow the snow plow’s path all the way to the film center. Canadians are also welcome.

The Class

Tomorrow, Jan. 26, 8p.m., $5

2008. France. Dir: Laurent Cantet.

With Francios Begaudeau. 128 min.

The second installment of our Tournées French Film festival takes us to a very different place than “A Town Called Panic:” inside an inner-city Parisian classroom. This semi-autobiographical account of a literature teacher’s experience dealing with a difficult crop of high school students was a hot-button film on the international scene in 2008 and even garnered a best Foreign Language Film nod. Stoic, important, moving, and startlingly realistic, “The Class” is above all an insightful look at education through a keenly cinematic lens. (Presented as part of The Tournées Festival, made possible with the support of the Cultural Services of the French Embassy and the French Ministry of Culture.)

My Man Godfrey

Thursday, Jan. 27, 8p.m., FREE

1936. USA. Dir: Gregory La Cava.

With William Powell, Carole Lombard. 94 min.

Probably my personal favorite movie on this entire calendar, “Godfrey” is perhaps the quintessential crowning gem in all of classic American film comedy. La Cava’s potentially melancholic, yet hilarious romp tackles important post-depression disillusionment without missing a comic beat. Lombard and Powell shine as a socialite and the hobo-turned-butler she falls in love with, much to his chagrin. Uproarious in its romance, and superb in its screwball sensibility, this film seduces you, spins you around, and has you in smiles throughout—a time-tested triumph of one of Hollywood’s greatest trends.

The Social Network

Friday, 1/28, 8PM, $5

2010. USA. Dir: David Fincher.

With Jesse Eisenberg, Andrew Garfield. 120 min.

A critically-lauded box-office smash with keen whiplash dialogue, a tour-de-force portrayal of a lovable prick, and an important comment on modern personal connection—yeah, you’ve heard the spiel about how great it is a million times. The Academy is about to shove it down your throats, as if the Hollywood Foreign Press didn’t do that already. So if you’re sick about hearing about all of the (deserving) praise, just see it again and you’ll be ready and begging to hear more praise. If nothing else, note the amazing score this time around—Nine Inch Nails mastermind/sonic sorcerer Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross create a beautifully brooding digital landscape that does wonders in constructing the film’s tonal and thematic identity—only one of the many great reasons you’ll be hearing about this flick for a while. Undeniably one of the year’s best; if you agree, friend me.

Cedar Rapids

Saturday, Jan. 29, 8p.m., FREE

2011. USA. Dir: Miguel Arteta.

With Ed Helms, John C. Reilly. 86 min.

Our alumni are too good to us. After a smash screening of his hilarious Cera-vehicle “Youth In Revolt”, all-star Wes film alum Arteta returns to Wes again to give us a special preview of his next romp, “Cedar Rapids.” In this brand spanking new comedy, square insurance agent Helms has the time of his cookie-cutter life with the help of guru Reilly and the titular city—a surefire mix of guffaw knee-slapping and awkward giggles, as is Arteta’s specialty. A Q&A with the ever-entertaining director himself is to follow. Leave your cell phones at home (as per the suits’ request), but come ready to roll in the aisles.