When transfer students are asked why they came to Wesleyan, they usually offer up something about how they desired more academic rigor or a change in social scene. At a Division III school, such explanations don’t often extend to our athletic department, but since the arrival of new head football coach Mike Whalen ’83, who left behind a 14-year stint as head coach at Williams College, athletics can now be added to the list: meet junior transfer and former Williams quarterback Matt Coyne ’12.

“Coach Whalen was a big factor in my decision to come to Wesleyan,” said Coyne, a Bristol, Conn. native. “A lot of it was based on football.”

It’s no surprise that Coyne feels an attachment to Whalen—the two have known each other for years.

“We met at the Yale training camp my senior year of high school,” Coyne said. “He was the first NESCAC coach to be interested in recruiting me. I ended up going to Williams with him, and my first two years there were great.”

Nonetheless, Coyne said there were other factors that drew him to Wesleyan. The University’s proximity to his home—“It’s twenty minutes down the road,” he said—and its high academic standards made the decision less difficult.

Though both Whalen and Coyne are still adapting to the new environment and atmosphere of Wesleyan, they’re beginning to settle in comfortably. Undoubtedly, there are many differences—especially in the world of football.

“Williams was very fortunate because they have had great coaches before me and a really long run for about 20 years where they’ve been very good,” Whalen said. “So the kids who come through that program have a certain level of expectation about what they want to accomplish in their four years there. The situation we’re in here [at Wesleyan] is where we have to teach our kids how to perform at a high level and what it takes to win.”

Coyne said that for the most part, he feels the team dynamics at the two schools are the same.

“For me, playing football at Wes is pretty much the same as at Williams,” he said. “It’s the same standards to get on the team and of performance, but just with a new group of guys. The biggest difference really is the size. There were only like 1,800 people attending Williams, so we’ve got a much bigger team here.”

The University’s larger size is one of the most noticeable differences, Coyne said.

“It’s more of a ‘college’ feel—it’s nice not knowing everyone you walk by everyday,” he said. “At Williams, there are a lot of athletes, a lot of the same people. I like that I have the chance to meet new people here.”

Nonetheless, Coyne said he hasn’t had all that much opportunity to socialize. Despite living on a hall in Hewitt almost entirely made up of transfers, his schedule since arriving on campus has been pretty hectic.

“I’ve pretty much been tied up with schoolwork and going to practice every day,” he said. “I want to focus on academics more—I’m trying to get better grades than I did at Williams.”

Hopefully, Coyne’s commitment to the team will pay off. Whalen is optimistic about the prospects for the season.

“We’re one and one right now and this Saturday we’re heading up to play Colby,” Whalen said. “We’ve got a great coaching staff here with a lot of experience, and the guys on our team are really buying what we’re selling.”

Editor in Chief Katherine Yagle contributed to the reporting of this story