Das Racist, a “weed edge/hare krishna hard core/art rap/freak folk music trio” (in their own words) has released their second mix-tape, “Sit Down, Man” (available for free download at http://www.dasracist.net). Behind MGMT and Santogold, Das Racist is one of the best known contemporary Wesleyan alum outfits in the contemporary music scene. Made up of Wesleyan alumni Himanshu Suri ’08 and Victor Vazquez ’07 alongside hype man “Dap,” the outfit first rose to popularity with “Combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell,” a repetitive musing about being at both Pizza Hut and Taco Bell. In classic Internet fashion, Das Racist’s song quickly spread like an insatiable meme-fire around the Web.

Since their debut, the group hasn’t been taken all too seriously by listeners or the mainstream media. Most critics have either lauded or lampooned the fledgling rap duo, praising their Web 2.0 “post-modern” appeal, or completely disregarding them as hipster nonsense.  However, “Sit Down, Man” reveals the group’s potential as a band with more than just novelty appeal. They remain just as ridiculous, retaining their frantic, stream-of-consciousness lyrical flow and unconventional beats/sampling, but now they actually seem to have a coherent sound. When they test the boundaries of the absurd on this new release, it doesn’t just sound random and repetitious (like some critics asserted on prior releases). Instead, there seems to finally be method behind the madness that is Das Racist.

In the lyrical realm, Das Racist’s style will either be hit or miss to most listeners. Most songs feature both MCs rapping their way through a variety of cultural references in constant flow, accompanied by occasional anchoring hooks. Suri and Vazquez muse about pop culture phenomena including Dwight Schrute, The Wackness, Carlos Mencia, Things White People Like, Puerto-Rican cousins, and everything in between.

At first, it sounds like they are just railing things off frantically in incoherent mumbling patterns, but at times, it seems, as they say themselves, “these brown weirdos is wildin’ but they can really rap.” If you appreciate a penchant for sick flow and witty rhymes you will probably take to the wordplay of Das Racist. On the other hand, if your ear is attuned to more traditional-sounding rap, there’s a good chance Das Racist just won’t click.

The lyrics themselves are about all manner of things, but if listeners are at all familiar with the culture of the Internet—or just knowledgeable about rap music in general—Das Racist’s words will resonate. There is no overriding message to “Sit Down, Man,” but neither MC is averse to occasionally exploring more serious questions of race.

The musical backing to these lyrics varies from track to track because each song essentially has its own unique producer, but for the most part, unconventional beats and samples accompany equally eccentric lyrics. It’s all electronic, and sometimes danceable. Das Racist has a penchant for using an array of interesting samples, such as warped-back lyrics and tribal calls. On certain tracks, such as “Commercial and Fashion Party,” the group even finds itself sounding oddly poppy. That isn’t to denigrate their music, but rather a testament to one of the more interesting components of “Sit Down, Man.” Because the release involves the work of so many producers, the music of Das Racist’s release is markedly diverse throughout. At times, they’ll be treading the ground of grimy-dance potential; on a subsequent track they’ll be that stream-of-consciousness flow attached to sparse boops and beeps.

And really, that’s the nature of the whole mix-tape as well. “Sit Down, Man” absolutely has its moments of great production, interesting lyrics, sickly executed flow, and catchy backings, but if you didn’t like Das Racist before this release nothing here will change your mind (probably). On the other hand, if you’re already familiar with Das Racist or intrigued with what you’ve heard, by all means give this release a spin (it’s free to legally do so!).

• Fucka Miami

THIS REVIEW NEEDS MORE EXCLAMATION POINTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!