As Connecticut’s November elections approach, the Wesleyan Democrats (WesDems) are entering the season’s fray with characteristic passion and zeal as they pull together support for State Representative and former Wesleyan student Matt Lesser.

Back in 2008, WesDems helped organize the campaign and elect Lesser, who now represents the 100th district of Connecticut, which includes the towns of Middlefield, Durham, Rockfall, and parts of Middletown.

Now, almost two years later, Lesser is again encouraging WesDems and other volunteer groups to work on both his campaign and those of his fellow Democrats in high-profile races, including gubernatorial candidate Dan Malloy and U.S. Senate candidate Richard Blumenthal. Although he will not personally stump for other candidates, he aims to drive the same coalition that generated the national Democratic landslide in 2008.

At a recent WesDems meeting, Lesser lambasted the notion of once again having the state legislature and the governor’s office controlled by opposing parties, which has occurred since 1990.

“It just doesn’t work,” he said. “We’ve seen in the past some really bad compromises made that are more about preserving the balance of power and giving everybody half of what they want rather than trying legitimately to organize government in a way that makes sense.”

However, this does not mean that he is opposed to bipartisanship—in fact, he said that just about every bill he has introduced has been bipartisan. Rather, he is troubled by the threat to progress posed by current Republican governor Jodi M. Rell, whom Lesser claims reinforces the national Republican message of ‘just say no’.

“For the last few years, [Connecticut] legislature has been trying something called ‘results-based accountability,’” Lesser said. “We’re going to look at a program when we’re writing a budget.  If it works, we’re going to give them money, and if it doesn’t, we’re not. But we have a governor who isn’t interested and views that as a threat.”

Lesser has focused his campaign on energizing students with specific issues he has been working on for the past two years.

“We’ve been taking steps on everything from lowering the highest electricity prices in the nation to reforming our property tax system, investing in education, and trying to bring in businesses that provide high-quality jobs,” Lesser said.

Regardless, the final stretch of the campaign will take effort.

“I’ve knocked on 4,000 doors,” Lesser said. “And what I’ve heard at those doors isn’t anger at me.  It’s anger at a system that has been rigged against the American middle class. When I talk to folks, I [have] found overwhelming support. Often it takes a little bit of an explanation and talking about my record, but when they hear you working on issues that matter to people in these communities they’re won over.”

Lesser has committed to maintaining contact with his constituents, whether or not he is physically on the campaign trail.  Not only does he hold regular office hours, but he also contacts voters through e-mail, cell phone, Facebook, and Twitter.

“The point is, I want to hear directly from people,” Lesser said. “Somebody’s having a problem in my district, and if I can help them in any way, I’ll do it.”

Although the University is not part of Lesser’s district, his contact with the University goes beyond his involvement with WesDems. Wesleyan is a major employer for Lesser’s district and Lesser has successfully garnered millions of dollars in state funding for the Long Lane facility during his term.

Lesser encourages Wesleyan students to get involved in the Middletown community beyond the campus borders.

“We have restaurants, shops on Main Street, and a lot of internships for Wesleyan students,” Lesser said. “Middletown is a really interesting community that you happen to be parked in for four years. The more Wesleyan students leave campus, the more they get from their experience.”

I hate lesser so much, he’s a total jerk

Not a single mention in the article of his opponent?

• George Jetison

Anyone who plans to vote for a Democrat on November 2 needs his head examined!

• Edith Prague

Is Lesser a Democrat or a Republican?

• Anon

He’s a Democrat.

• Joe Crisco

Can he forge his treasurer’s name?
    Democrats are good at that. I know!

• Robby T.

I don’t know anything about his opponent but I have seen Lesser in action. As far as I’m concerned, his name says it all. Anyone is Better than Lesser.

• Michael Moore

I’m ready to make a docudrama….”The Lesser of all evils”.