In life we often pass up great opportunities. As Joni Mitchell once sang, “You don’t know what you got till it’s gone” (what up, MUSC108). For those of you who are graduating, perhaps you regret not telling that special someone how you feel, or not taking that extra tequila shot that would have made Senior Cocks that much more fun. Personally speaking, however, my main regret thus far is that I missed the 70MM, 2-part screening of LAWRENCE OF ARABIA my freshman year on the film series. Peter O’Toole’s big blue eyes must have looked so crisp and so gorgeous against that expansive desert landscape. But sadly, I’ll never know. I wasn’t there to experience all 221 minutes of stunning, massive Technicolor bliss. To this day, I can’t even pop in a DVD without thinking, “this would have looked so much better in the Goldsmith.” Why am I spilling my heart out to you? Because, well, I’m a nice guy and I don’t want you to make the same mistakes I did. For god’s sake, there are only six movies left on the film series this year. If you’re itching for some Liam Neeson ass-kicking, don’t you dare miss TAKEN; I’d hate for you to feel my pain. So take advantage, or risk looking back on this calendar for the rest of your life with a heavy heart and a tear of sorrow in your eye.

HIGH PLAINS DRIFTER
1973. USA. Dir: Clint Eastwood. With Eastwood, Verna Bloom. 105 min.
TONIGHT, 4/23, 8 P.M., $5
There is quite possibly no manlier a man than Clint, and there is quite possibly no manlier a character than his nameless, stone-faced alter-ego in this film. Merely trying to fathom how much fucking testosterone that means will make your chest hair grow a few inches. This incredibly dark precursor to Eastwood’s equally praiseworthy THE OUTLAW JOSEY WALES finds the fate of a small town resting on Clint, who must preserve justice with only the help of his two trusty semi-automatics. If you’ve ever wondered what was so much revered about Eastwood’s Gran Torino character, come to this movie and witness the persona that sparked it all. Nostalgic Slotkin-supporters and Eastwood newbies alike will no doubt be wowed by the sheer power this movie exudes.

THE MATRIX
1999. USA. Dir: The Wachowski Brothers. With Keanu Reeves. 136 min.
SATURDAY, 4/24, 8 P.M., FREE
After he shredded through history as Ted “Theodore” Logan and manned a bomb-strapped bus with Sandra Bullock, but before he tackled the underworld as a supernatural comic book detective, the apparently-prolific Keanu Reeves was “The One.” In this seminal sci-fi cult phenomenon, the Wachowski brothers harness the stunning power of CGI to tell an original, epic tale. And god knows they haven’t done it since (I’m looking at you, SPEED RACER!) Anyway, if you’re like me, you’ve been reeling to see this on the big screen ever since the Oracle blew your little fifth-grade Cineplex-going socks off. As the last film in our Religion and Science Fiction Series, you best take the red pill and experience this exhilarating modern masterwork of action/sci-fi cinema.

TALK TO HER
2002. Spain. Dir: Pedro Almodóvar. With Javier Cámara, Darío Grandinetti. 112 min.
WEDNESDAY, 4/28, 8 P.M., $5
A staple of decade-best lists, this touching, poignant melodramedy is as masterfully beautiful as they come. Crafted by one of modern cinema’s most internationally acclaimed auteurs, TALK TO HER explores the complex developing relationship between a nurse, a comatose patient, and a pair of lovers, one also comatose. Widely acclaimed as the high point in Almodóvar’s career (sorry, BAD EDUCATION), it’s perhaps the most fulfilling way one could ever spend a Wednesday night. Yes, more gratifying than the Gatekeeper. Come by for the year’s last Wednesday to be charmed and moved by this neo-classic.

THE SEPTEMBER ISSUE
2009. USA. Dir: R.J. Cutler. Documentary. 90 min.
THURSDAY, 4/29, 8 P.M., FREE
Anna Wintour, the lovably evil Cruella DeVille-esque Vogue Magazine Editor-In-Chief, is a powerful, brilliant, and controversial figure, about as entertaining (and perhaps as delightfully villainous) as people get. This doc chronicles her preparation process for Vogue’s Fall 2007 fashion issue, and the dramatic, ego-infused twists that ensue. In a style I can only oxy-moronically describe as ‘narrative documentary,’ director Cutler crafts a story out of reality as gripping and enjoyable as any spit out by a major studio. And guess what: he’ll be here to tell you how de did it! It’s the final installment of our almighty Independent Film Speaker Series, so you’d best be there to wave goodbye to what has been a legendary sequence of Thursday nights.