The women’s lacrosse team (2-7) took on the Trinity Bantams at home on Wednesday at Smith Field. Trinity, the fourth-ranked team in Division III, jumped out to an early lead, going up 11-3 by the end of the first half. In the second, the Cards made a comeback, but it proved to be too little, too late, and the visitors ended up with a 16-8 victory. The Cardinals are on a six-game losing streak and have yet to win a NESCAC game.

Trinity came out hard in the match and caught Wes flatfooted, jumping up 7-1 halfway through the first half and moving out to an 11-3 edge at halftime. Wesleyan got no closer than seven in the second period while Trinity led by as many as 11. The Cardinals did all the scoring in the final 10 minutes, adding four more goals to their total, to cut the final gap to eight.

Allie Lynch ’11 had a goal and three assists in the contest, bringing her seasonal total to 31 points (five goals, 26 assists), while Jess Chukwu ’11 added a pair of goals, bringing her team-high total to 21.

The Cardinals face another tough opponent as the squad faces its third-straight top-12 opponent when Colby, the sixth-ranked team, comes to Middletown on Saturday. The Cardinals will also take on St. John Fisher College on Sunday afternoon.