The seminal play “The Vagina Monologues,” by Eve Ensler, runs Friday at 8 p.m. and Saturday at 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. in CFA Hall. The directors Catherine Lum ’12, Charlie Krem ’12, and Lizzie Greenwald t’12 answered questions about their experience with the show.

Argus: What does this show mean to you?
Directors: We were all terrified of this show when we auditioned for it during our freshman year…it was an incredibly nerve-wracking experience, largely because of the sheer number of times the word ‘vagina’ is uttered. After our first performance we realized how much more comfortable we had become with not only our vaginas, but with the whole idea of vaginas and the ever-taboo subject of our sexuality.

A: What do you want the audience to take from this show?
D: We hope that the production can raise awareness, and that its stories invite not despair, anger and helplessness, but rather a celebration of the steps that have been made and a motivation to continue making more. 

A: Why do you think this show has managed to stay relevant after so long?
D: Mystery, secrecy, and silence continue to surround the vagina, even today…The show works powerfully towards ending the silence of women and to educating the public. However, we have also discussed some of the ways in which this show is outdated. In particular, there are anti-male lines that do not help to solidify our particular vision of all people coming together to support the vagina.

A: What is your favorite part of this show? 
D: How can we possibly pick a favorite part?! We value both the humor and heartache that make up this show as a whole and could not envision this show without any of its essential voices.

• ’09

Did you have to use the word “seminal”?