It’s generally acknowledged that Wesleyan is well known for its dance scene—the Senior Dance showcases are unfailingly excellent, and the marathon end-of-semester department show is an impressive display of diversity and technical skill. But as a fun, freeing experience, neither of these annual shows can rival Terpsichore, which sells out immediately for good reason. Last weekend’s show was alternately sexy, funny, and creative—demonstrating Terpsichore’s commitment to being an accessible outlet for non-dance-majors. According to the Terp Core, the central group of dancers in charge of organizing and running the show, giving everyone a chance to dance is important “because dancing is hot.” And the dancing last weekend was hot.

An impressive range of styles was represented—ballroom, tap, hip-hop, modern, ballet, to name a few. A “couples” dance set to “Use Somebody” by Kings of Leon and choreographed by Matt Carney and the dancers showcased passion-fuelled, graceful movement, a sort of fusion of modern dance and ballet. In contrast, a section of Wesleyan’s tap ensemble, Tap Attack, brought energy and technical proficiency to their quick, fast-paced piece (choreographed by Lena Solow).

The strong contrasts between styles and paces strengthened the show overall—the transitions (technically very smooth) were distinct but not jarring, and the variety added interest. “I Thought there was a Vaccine for That,” choreographed by Phoebe Stonebraker and featuring a group of dancers in brightly colored blazers and black tights, made a strong visual impression, and the intriguing choreography was brought to life by dynamic dancers. A dance choreographed by Gyrate, to the country song “Stay With Me,” went in the opposite direction, featuring three technically accomplished dancers dressed plainly, literally “dancing” the story of a love triangle. Its stripped-down aesthetic was startlingly effective, especially against the stark surroundings of the World Music Hall.

Ending with a visually beautiful performance by the Terp Core, Terp’s fall was a resounding success that achieved the goal of making dance accessible, fun, and hot.