The onset of spring has once again resulted in a familiar phenomenon: the repopulation of Foss Hill. Droves of scantily clad students descend upon the lush, grassy wonderland at the epicenter of campus; some read, some merrily strum six-strings, some merely bask in the sunlight, and others participate in certain unnamed recreational activities. Nonetheless, all seem to enjoy the transition from dormitory darkness to the beautiful midday breezes of New England. However, the schizophrenic weather conditions of mid-April persist; accordingly, Foss Hill becomes far too chilly for jolly congregation around dusk every evening. 

But lest you fear that the party must end, the Film Series once again comes to the rescue! I personally like to think of the Goldsmith Family Cinema as an indoor Foss Hill, but with comfortable padded seats and a tremendously righteous surround sound system. Thus, I propose a collective exodus from the Hill to the Cinema around 8PM nightly; it’s only logical. Hell, it’s even on a similar incline, so seating arrangements can remain intact. If you’re with me, and even if you’re not, please show your support at the Film Series this week. In the anticipation of beautiful weather, come see the beautiful flicks we have lined up. 

SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE

2008. UK. Dir: Danny Boyle and Loveleen Tandan. With Dev Patel, Freida Pinto. 120 min.

TONIGHT, April 17, 8PM $5

In case you’ve been living under a rock for the past six months, “Slumdog Millionaire” is the cinematic Cinderella of the past Oscar season. Winning 8 Academy Awards, including Best Picture, Director, Cinematography, and Editing, this rags-to-riches fable is at once a nod to the extravagant fairy-tale conventions of Bollywood and an endearing, gritty tale of love and fate. “Slumdog” follows a young man’s quiz-show quest to come to terms with his troubled past, fend off bastions of inner-city villains, realize a childhood romantic destiny, and win a million rupees in the process. It is an energetic, extremely well-paced, emotionally exhilarating experience that cannot be missed, one that certainly merits repeat viewings. 

ROMAN HOLIDAY

1953. USA. Dir: William Wyler. With Audrey Hepburn, Gregory Peck. 118 min.

Saturday, April 18, 8PM FREE

The dashing Gregory Peck and the timelessly elegant Audrey Hepburn star in this classic romantic comedy about a curious princess and a savvy American reporter falling in love in Rome. If that description doesn’t appeal to the romantic side of you, please seek medical attention – or just go see the film itself. Hepburn shines in an Oscar-winning performance, outfitted in accordingly Oscar-winning costumes (thanks to iconic Hollywood designer Edith Head). “Roman Holiday” was Hepburn’s breakout role, filmed just before she became the epitome of celebrity sophistication. So bring that special someone, become enraptured in the spirit of classical Hollywood romance, and do as the Romans do. 

WENDY AND LUCY

2008. USA. Dir: Kelly Reichardt. With Michelle Williams. 80 min.

Wednesday, April 22, 8PM, $5

Emerging indie auteur Kelly Reichardt’s breakout 2006 film, “Old Joy,” was a serene, understated meditation on friendship, wilderness, and alienation – an underrated minimalist gem. Reichart’s follow-up, “Wendy and Lucy,” is a similarly styled work that does not disappoint. Anchored by a heartbreaking, delicate tour-de-force performance by Michelle Williams, this film is a tragically real portrait of a woman and her canine companion driven to the unfortunate, gritty depths of poverty. A true achievement of recent American Independent cinema, “Wendy and Lucy” resonates all the more powerfully in light of the current economic crisis; it is an intensely personal, enigmatic journey with subtle political connotations. Lauded by critics as one of the best films of 2008, it is a refreshing, original vision that stands out amidst self-indulgent Hollywood fluff (I’m talking to you, Benjamin Button!) 

“IN TREATMENT” (“BETIPUL”) SEASON ONE

2005. Israel. With Assi Dayan. 60 min.

Thursday, April 23, 8PM, FREE

Recently remade as a Golden-Globe-winning American television series for HBO, the Israeli show “In Treatment” is an unorthodox, dramatic small-screen experiment. The series depicts evolving patient/therapist relationships; each installment focuses on one of a cast of recurring patients and his/her meeting with a wise, enigmatic therapist, portrayed by legendary Israeli badass Assi Dayan. An overwhelming success in Israel, “In Treatment” blends cinema, psychology, and drama in an undeniably engaging, smart fashion. Series co-creator, director and writer Ori Sivan will lecture afterwards, providing insight into the creative process behind the show. For fans of the HBO series, and for anyone who appreciates character study at its very finest, this event should not be missed.