This column is all about making do with what you have. And if there is one thing that Weshop always has, it’s brussels sprouts. The fact that brussels sprouts can be found on the shelves of Weshop on any night of the week probably has more to do with their poor reputation than student demand to have them in-stock 24/7. Though they may lose the vegetable popularity contest, the sprouts win the cutest packaging award, hands-down. Nestled in round cardboard cartons and covered with shiny clear wrapping, they make you feel that you’ve just bought a cruciferous present for yourself. It’s no wonder those little sprouts have to try so hard, they’ve got a bad, bad rep to deal with.

Why are brussels sprouts hated so? I think it’s mostly due to not getting the proper cooking treatment that they so surely deserve. Over-cooked brussels sprouts are heavy waterlogged brussels sprouts. Eat them boiled and you’ll have no doubt why they play such a pivotal part in so many children’s books.

This recipe for brussels sprouts plays up their strengths and downplays their weaknesses. The sprouts are shredded and then crisped in the oven with a little bit of olive oil. By shredding the brussels sprouts into thin ribbons, you get rid of their globular form that can make them so hard to eat. Roasting the sprouts at a high temperature brings out their natural sweetness. And finally, adding a good helping of grated Parmesan at the end only helps matters. A word of caution: be careful in the last couple minutes of roasting. There is a fine line between nicely charred and burnt.

So the next time you’re in Weshop wishing they just had something, anything in the vegetable case; look for those cute little green guys and be comforted in knowing that you know the secret to dealing with those sprouts.

Shredded Brussels Sprouts with Parmesan
Serves 4 as a side dish

Ingredients:

1 bucket of Brussels sprouts (about 20 small sprouts or 9 oz.)
3 Tbsp. olive oil
¼. C. freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste

Instructions:

1. Preheat the oven to 400°
2. Cut the sprouts in half lengthwise and then, with the flat side down, make small vertical cuts to shred each sprout
3. Toss the sprouts with the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and spread in an even layer on a sheet pan
4. Roast for 10 minutes, stir pan halfway through roasting time
5. Remove the sprouts from the oven, sprinkle with the Parmesan cheese, toss, and return to oven and bake for 1 more minute
6. Let cool and serve

• Fellow foodie

Yum!! Sounds delicious! Great writing and a great recipe.